Eric S'ennui

Easter Weekend Thread: Official Weekend Actuals: RPO $41.8M ($53.7M 4-Day), Acrimony $17.2M, BP $11.5M, ICOI $10.4M, PRU $9.4M, IOD $2.9M, GND3 $2.7M

5 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

I wonder if you keep a JC blow-up doll under your bed for lonely moments (once or twice)

I'll think about buying one when JC does it not once, not twice, but thrice though?

30 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

If I had to list box office records in order of importance.

Highest gross Worldwide

Highest gross Overseas

Highest gross in country A-Z (sorted by size biggest market to smallest)

Highest gross Worldwide - (single release)

Highest gross Overseas - (single release)

Highest gross in country A-Z (sorted by size biggest market to smallest) - (single release)

Highest gross Worldwide - (adjusted inflation)

Highest gross Overseas - (adjusted inflation)

Highest gross in country A-Z (sorted by size biggest market to smallest) - (adjusted inflation)

// less important //

highest weekend gross week 1 to 8

fastest to X

// not important //

weekends at #1

days at #1

highest weekend week 9 to infinity

weekends at #1 record sucks compared to "highest weekend gross"

And yet you get hyped when BP got 5 consecutive weekends at #1 ... but Avatar still was 7 weekends. 

Or some comments before, when you get wet saying "not once but twice" (JC having the #1 and #2 7th weekend)

giphy.gif

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

149M (prod) + 158M = 307M P&A for WW (according to deadline)

406M are total costs (production, advertising, worldwide video costs, participations, interes, residuals and off-the-tops).

So that means that something like Avengers 3 or Avatar or TFA costs what? A billion dollars to make? So pretty much no film ever makes a profit?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StevenG said:

So that means that something like Avengers 3 or Avatar or TFA costs what? A billion dollars to make? So pretty much no film ever makes a profit?

No, the marketing budget and distribution costs for ancillary don't need to rise commensurate with the budget.   A $150m budget film can cost as much to market as a $300m one just as a $5m film can cost as much to market as a $30m or $75m film depending on how it's distributed.

Get Out cost $4.5m to make. According to Deadline's estimates P&A was $77m with another $10m in post theatrical video distribution  - with total costs after participation points and interest at around $124m

http://deadline.com/2018/03/get-out-box-office-profit-2017-1202345412/

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

:mellow: Don't tell me you think fastest to X is more important than overall gross, you're going to have to explain what you mean

Overall gross isn't something that happens very often, and usually tapers off after a while in interest. But a speed record is exciting, and generates hysteria here, along with stans and haters that you don't really get from a total gross record. Avengers will be a blast next month for that reason alone. 

5 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Total cost for TFA, for example, are 776M, but total revenues were 1556, so a profit of 780M.

"Costs" are more than "production costs", and "benefits" are more than "box office". If you are interested, every year since 2015, Deadline makes a report on the 10 or 20 most profitable movies, and their analysts give more detailed info (always according to their expertise in the cinema industry ... real numbers are never confirmed or published by studios). 

http://deadline.com/tag/movie-profits/

So after seeing RPO and, to my surprise, actually liking it a little bit, I kinda hope that it pulls off a solid opening (40+ 3-day, 50+ 4-day). I'm not sure what kind of holds a movie like this could have, but a 50M+ 4-day opening and pretty decent wom seem like a strong enough duo to push this thing to 100M+ DOM, at the very least.

• Like 1

Every one who wants to know how these budget and stuff works along with profit and all, go to this thread-

Here we have actual data from sony leaks. Not any stupid deadline projection, but actual data that stupid people in suits see.

For example here is amazing spider man 2-

Title AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 THE
Release year 2014
BUDGET -263,950
WWBO 708,996
BO / budget ratio 2.7
DBO 202,854
IBO 506,142
Studio GROSS PROFIT 14,523
3dr party profit 0
Total gross profit 14,523
Profits + Bonus 58,773
DOM THEAT. REVENUE 108,000
INTL THEAT. REVENUE 199,820
Rev after theater 295,453
% after theater 49%
FINANCING BENEFIT 66,630
OVERHEAD -31,570
PARTICIPATIONS -44,250
INVESTOR SHARE -61,030
TOTAL REVENUE 603,273
MARKETING COSTS -166,996
Releasing cost -191,790
Total rev / wwbo 85%
Revenue - releasing cost - budget
Profit in theater -21,659
BO /(budget + bonus) 2.3
Special formula 5.1
release / budget cost 0.7
Dom Retention rate 47%
Intl retention rate 40%
Profitable 1
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

So after seeing RPO and, to my surprise, actually liking it a little bit, I kinda hope that it pulls off a solid opening (40+ 3-day, 50+ 4-day). I'm not sure what kind of holds a movie like this could have, but a 50M+ 4-day opening and pretty decent wom seem like a strong enough duo to push this thing to 100M+ DOM, at the very least.

GI Joe Retaliation's ~122 should be within reach. With a similar 4-day thinking 135-140 dom.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

$100m+ is locked at this point with a $40m three day opening

6 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

That again shows you how incredibly strong even his worst films are.  

I honestly think he really hasn't made a truly bad film.  His absolute worst films have multiple thrilling sequences or have plenty of fans that will defend them.  

Yep I agree with you. I didn't really care for Hook but it's still a lot of fun in many scenes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

$100m+ is locked at this point with a $40m three day opening

Considering it did 12 on Thu, RPO has to perform like a movie that does 88 dom after a 41 back-loaded/preview-free ow. Needs Power Ranger-legs Monday onward.

Edited by a2knet

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

Not surprised at PRU's drop, given the general 'meh' consensus on it. Tomb Raider has even seemed to generate better WOM, and with RPO landing at the higher end of expectations, it just seems to naturally be the casualty.

Shame though, for a movie that 4 years ago the internet was SO hyped for. 

Really? Only tele. :)

Edited by Elessar

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I don’t see how it could get near $150m with this opening nevermind $200m. 

It's a new property, no new properties make franchise movie money on the opening weekend.

I still think that Disney screwed up the release of The BFG, it was thrown to the wolves opening a week before SLOP, ideally it should have been released at Christmas with a stronger marketing campaign. 

Has as anyone seen Amistad, it’s one of those Spielberg films that have eluded me because of the subject matter

20 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I don’t see how it could get near $150m with this opening nevermind $200m. 

I can see 150.

12 Thu + 41 FSS + 97 Rest of the run

Similar to 41 ow / 3.37x multi / 138 dom and a bonus 12 before that, say from Wal-Mart.