Eric is Anxious

Easter Weekend Thread: Official Weekend Actuals: RPO $41.8M ($53.7M 4-Day), Acrimony $17.2M, BP $11.5M, ICOI $10.4M, PRU $9.4M, IOD $2.9M, GND3 $2.7M

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Does RPO really have the same demo and decades built in rabid fandom?

Certainly not decades worth of fandom, but the demos aren't really that far apart :ph34r:.

That being said, I was just pointing out that 40M 3-day doesn't really lock a 100M DOM. Though, in the case of RPO, it surely pushes the odds in its favor.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

I´ve read in the net that Avengers Infinity War costs about 1 billion, i guess this is for the 2 movies, like Lord of the Rings or Hobbit that were filmed at the same time.

Because it´s for one movie would need to gross at least 2 billion to break even and only 3 movies did in film history...

Anyone has data for the real budget of these Avengers movies?

1 hour ago, Premium George said:

Every one who wants to know how these budget and stuff works along with profit and all, go to this thread-

Here we have actual data from sony leaks. Not any stupid deadline projection, but actual data that stupid people in suits see.

For example here is amazing spider man 2-

Title AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 THE
Release year 2014
BUDGET -263,950
WWBO 708,996
BO / budget ratio 2.7
DBO 202,854
IBO 506,142
Studio GROSS PROFIT 14,523
3dr party profit 0
Total gross profit 14,523
Profits + Bonus 58,773
DOM THEAT. REVENUE 108,000
INTL THEAT. REVENUE 199,820
Rev after theater 295,453
% after theater 49%
FINANCING BENEFIT 66,630
OVERHEAD -31,570
PARTICIPATIONS -44,250
INVESTOR SHARE -61,030
TOTAL REVENUE 603,273
MARKETING COSTS -166,996
Releasing cost -191,790
Total rev / wwbo 85%
Revenue - releasing cost - budget
Profit in theater -21,659
BO /(budget + bonus) 2.3
Special formula 5.1
release / budget cost 0.7
Dom Retention rate 47%
Intl retention rate 40%
Profitable 1

Very interesting post!!!

i didn´t know at all that the filn industry was also leaked. Would be very nice if this will published for everybody attention, specially the forums memebers... ;)

11 minutes ago, setna said:

I´ve read in the net that Avengers Infinity War costs about 1 billion, i guess this is for the 2 movies, like Lord of the Rings or Hobbit that were filmed at the same time.

Because it´s for one movie would need to gross at least 2 billion to break even and only 3 movies did in film history...

Anyone has data for the real budget of these Avengers movies?

That number was tossed out by Bleeding Cool News years ago among a bunch of other "news" they got at a bar during New York Comic Con by some bitter Marvel people after the Feige coup of Ike and the NY Committee.  It's completely bogus.

The reported budgets for Avengers and AOU are  respectively $220m and $280m after tax breaks.

They didn't film these back to back to raise the budget for each by about 75% over AOU.  No budgets for them have been released yet.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

I think films like Minority Report, War Horse,  Bridge of Spies and War of the Worlds are all solid flicks but not ones that would make a "Best of.." list for any years they made.  They're fun movies. 

I don't feel like they approach "Classic Spielberg".  

Wrong, War of the Worlds would be in several lists

Best of 2005

Best of 21st century

Best disaster movie

Best Tom Cruise movie

Best remake

Best alien movie

Best Spielberg movie

5 hours ago, DAJK said:

Not surprised at PRU's drop, given the general 'meh' consensus on it. Tomb Raider has even seemed to generate better WOM, and with RPO landing at the higher end of expectations, it just seems to naturally be the casualty.

Shame though, for a movie that 4 years ago the internet was SO hyped for. 

Sadly this "sequel" is not what the internet was hyped for. We wanted GDT directing it.

1 hour ago, Premium George said:

Every one who wants to know how these budget and stuff works along with profit and all, go to this thread-

Here we have actual data from sony leaks. Not any stupid deadline projection, but actual data that stupid people in suits see.

For example here is amazing spider man 2-

Release year 2014
BUDGET -263,950
WWBO 708,996
BO / budget ratio 2.7
DBO 202,854
IBO 506,142
3dr party profit 0
Profits + Bonus 58,773
% after theater 49%
FINANCING BENEFIT 66,630
OVERHEAD -31,570
PARTICIPATIONS -44,250
INVESTOR SHARE -61,030
TOTAL REVENUE 603,273
MARKETING COSTS -166,996
Releasing cost -191,790
Total rev / wwbo 85%
BO /(budget + bonus) 2.3
Special formula 5.1
Dom Retention rate 47%
Intl retention rate 40%
Profitable 1

It's amazing how much money Sony threw at that film and how sloppy they were with its costs thinking "it's Spider-Man, it'll be profitable no matter what". Such arrogance on their part.

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

That number was tossed out by Bleeding Cool News years ago among a bunch of other "news" they got at a bar during New York Comic Con by some bitter Marvel people after the Feige coup of Ike and the NY Committee.  It's completely bogus.

The reported budgets for Avengers and AOU are  respectively $220m and $280m after tax breaks.

They didn't film these back to back to raise the budget for each by about 75% over AOU.  No budgets for them have been released yet.

All the costs combined for both will still get relatively close to 1 billion dollars though. If I had to guess I'd say it's not less than 800m and I'll go ahead and say in their case the costs are totally justifiable; they'll end up generating amazing profits and one of the reasons for that is that people will feel that Marvel is sparing no expenses to give them the spectacle of the decade!

Anyway, what would be your guess?

24 minutes ago, November Treejax said:

1B seems a reasonable number, if production budget is 250 + 250 and you have similar 200+ marketing then that would be 900M.  

IB for production + P&A is certainly within the realm of possibility. 

But they ran the story that 1B was the production budget and called them the most expensive movies ever made.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/08/avengers-infinity-war-parts-1-and-2-have-a-budget-of-one-billion-dollars/

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Premium George said:

Release year 2014
BUDGET -263,950
WWBO 708,996
BO / budget ratio 2.7
DBO 202,854
IBO 506,142
3dr party profit 0
Profits + Bonus 58,773
% after theater 49%
FINANCING BENEFIT 66,630
OVERHEAD -31,570
PARTICIPATIONS -44,250
INVESTOR SHARE -61,030
TOTAL REVENUE 603,273
MARKETING COSTS -166,996
Releasing cost -191,790
Total rev / wwbo 85%
BO /(budget + bonus) 2.3
Special formula 5.1
Dom Retention rate 47%
Intl retention rate 40%
Profitable 1

mrw-my-mobile-carrier-sends-me-a-msg-say

• Like 1

I'm disappointed Isle of Dogs won't be hitting 3M this weekend, but a 16.6k PTA in 165 theaters is nothing to scoff at. It'll probably go down to 9k next week in 400 theaters (3.6M) and make a 3k or so PTA on the 13th (5.3M+). The more I hear about it, the movie doesn't sound GA friendly at all, but having minimal releases for a few weeks with help retain screens.

Edited by WrathOfHan

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm disappointed Isle of Dogs won't be hitting 3M this weekend, but a 16.6k PTA in 165 theaters is nothing to scoff at. It'll probably go down to 9k next week in 400 theaters (3.6M) and make a 3k or so PTA on the 13th (5.3M+). The more I hear about it, the movie doesn't sound GA friendly at all, but having minimal releases for a few weeks with help retain screens.

It's probably not GA friendly, no. It's a strange structure, and a lot of non subtitled Japanese, but it's excellent. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It opened in most of the locations where it was bound to do the best in last week. It should make about $25M in the end, not bad for a stop-motion PG-13 animated film.

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

How does Deadline square BP doing $4m on Friday but only $11m during the weekend?

It's Easter and during spring break.  Weekdays then Thur were already inflated hence the smaller Friday jump.  If anything the multiple might be a bit high.

For instance children films that usually do 4-5x will do around 2.5x

I think the one that's low in ICOI because it will have a softer Sunday drop.  That Garner movie a couple of years ago had a 2.92 Easter multi.  

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1