Eric the IF

Easter Weekend Thread: Official Weekend Actuals: RPO $41.8M ($53.7M 4-Day), Acrimony $17.2M, BP $11.5M, ICOI $10.4M, PRU $9.4M, IOD $2.9M, GND3 $2.7M

49 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

PRU was a movie made for China and it collapsed in there. I see a sequel to Tomb Raider as much more possible than a 3rd PR movie, but stranger things have happened I guess.

Yeah, TR is looking at 280+ odd globally (245 + 10 more dom + 25 more os after a 12.5 weekend) on a 94-106 prod budget (mojo 94; deadline rumor 106). PRU is looking at 295-315 on a 155 prod budget. Being a Chinese co-production PRU will get a good return there %-wise but it couldn't do big numbers there. I don't think we will get another PR movie. TR is possible, just wish it had done 70 odd dom instead of 60 odd.

Edited by a2knet
PRU failed to get benefits of a Chinese production
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cookson said:

231m WW for PRU is actually better than what I was expecting it to be.

It was at 150m last sunday, that would be a 81m week+second weekend from a 150m OW.

Not sure how far from a worst case scenario drop that happen to be, it look like a possible 150m OW to around 45m or less second weekend (40.6m according to comscore that a 73% drop! while gaining 2 market, it rarely get worst than that leg wise).

Edited by Barnack

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

PRU was a movie made for China and it collapsed in there. I see a sequel to Tomb Raider as much more possible than a 3rd PR movie, but stranger things have happened I guess.

I agree. The possibility is there that PRU barely hits the break even point like the first film. Does the new regime at LP decide "well, we did break even so let's fix what went wrong in China" or simply move on to other Pokemon and MonsterVerse films. Remember, this is a studio with not many ips/franchises... So they might go with a 3rd thinking of it with that perspective.

Just now, a2knet said:

Being a Chinese co-production PRU will get a good return there %-wise but it couldn't do big numbers there

Apparently it failed to reach that status, possibly too many non Chinese crew/actor/etc... involved with the movie.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The problem with the Pacific Rim franchise is that you can't make it for less than 155mil because it's about big robots fighting. It's not going to look presentable with a budget less than that.

What's the budget for Rampage? Power rangers?

5 minutes ago, Cookson said:

What's the budget for Rampage? Power rangers?

Power Rangers had a 100mil budget and barely had any action. It's poor looking big robot scene is at the end of the film. I have no idea what Rampage's budget is nor have a seen the film to even guess.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Saw Ready Player One yesterday. Thematically fascinating and I was never bored (Spielberg directs the shit out of it), but god, the romantic subplot is horrendous and the main character is so unlikable. Still, I might go see it again and write a paper on it for fun because there's a ton of stuff, particularly with Rylance's character and the ending, that makes me wanna delve into Spielberg's mind and what he's trying to say with it.

Also, Pacific Rim 2 was fun

• ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Still, I might go see it again and write a paper on it for fun because there's a ton of stuff, particularly with Rylance's character and the ending, that makes me wanna delve into Spielberg's mind and what he's trying to say with it.

damn we can hate on ehrlich all we want but he did call this.

ABtaMm6.png?1

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

The romantic subplot felt forced in both the book and the movie, but at least the movie tries to give Art3mis more to do than just be something for Parzival to win.

Having read the book, I also don't think Spielberg was really trying to say anything that wasn't already present in the source material. For all the cosmetic changes made to the plot - and there are quite a few of them - the ending remains largely the same in terms of content and message.

30 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

According to BOM, Peter Rabbit has done $230M WW. Nice to see things improving for Sony when things looked dire just 2 years ago. Hopefully the same happens to Paramount. 

yeah, on 230.75 and 69.25 away from 300. os weekend was 32. could add 32*2 = 64 more os leaving 5.25 short. dom should add 5-6 more after a weekend of 2 (-21%). likely to beat TR. would be something if it beats PRU too. all on a prod budget of 50.

35 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

According to BOM, Peter Rabbit has done $230M WW. Nice to see things improving for Sony when things looked dire just 2 years ago. Hopefully the same happens to Paramount. 

I'm still surprised a sequel hasn't been announced yet.

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Kill all romantic subplots in movies. Kill them with fire.

there are some good ones! just last year i thought gal gadot/chris pine in wonder woman and the rock/jason statham in fate of the furious were great.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

5 hours ago, SteveJaros said:

I'm curious - is making this kind of obvious post what gets you off on a Sunday? Isn't there a Cristiano soccer game you should be watching? 

Anyway, mark it down, just like I was right about WB having a massive year in 2017, I'll be right about this. And if I'm not, I'm sure you'll make a lame post like this one sometime in November, right?

Making obvious posts doesn't seem to please me anymore than the satisfaction you get from making stupid predictions.

31 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Saw Ready Player One yesterday. Thematically fascinating and I was never bored (Spielberg directs the shit out of it), but god, the romantic subplot is horrendous ...

For some reason, somebody involved thought that by splashing a little red color around one of the eyes and cheek of the cute girl playing the love interest, they could make us think she wasn't still a cute girl and therefore attainable in real life by the terminally average lead guy.

Pretty funny stuff. 

• Haha 2