Eric the IF

Easter Weekend Thread: Official Weekend Actuals: RPO $41.8M ($53.7M 4-Day), Acrimony $17.2M, BP $11.5M, ICOI $10.4M, PRU $9.4M, IOD $2.9M, GND3 $2.7M

That Blockers Australia number is EXTREMELY promising. If it follows Game Night's trajectory in America that's a 31.7M opening.

UK was also an improvement although not as drastic. 21.5M in the states if it follows Game Night. I'm pretty confident in 24-27M 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 3

21 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

3 of the songs are in the movie.

There are some fairly strict rules when it comes to the Original Song category. The song(s) must be created for the movie and they typically need to appear in the film for a minimum amount of time (at least they used to be). If a song is released on a non-soundtrack album before the film's release, it may be disqualified. If BP were to break out of the tech categories, the Song and Score categories would be the likely places given how only the music branch members make the nominations and Lamar seems to be very well respected in the music industry. Granted, the music branch is filled with a lot of classical-type composers and old time pop\rock stars like Phil Collins. So it is possible.

If a song like "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" can win an Oscar, surely Kendrick Lamar can earn a nomination.

Disney will be throwing its weight behind something this year. If it's not The Incredibles or Mary Poppins, it might well be Black Panther. A Best Picture nomination would go a long ways to preventing another critical #OscarsSoWhite campaign.

Edited by LonePirate

So wait, was the "Combined opening weekends of all faith based films released in the month of March over Ready Player One's opening weekend divided by Black Panther's opening weekend subtracting Samson's worldwide total added by David and Goliath's weight difference multiplied by the number of easter eggs in my basket: THE TRUE MEANING OF EASTER" club a success?

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

14 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

There are some fairly strict rules when it comes to the Original Song category. The song(s) must be created for the movie and they typically need to appear in the film for a minimum amount of time (at least they used to be). If a song is released on a non-soundtrack album before the film's release, it may be disqualified. If BP were to break out of the tech categories, the Song and Score categories would be the likely places given how only the music branch members make the nominations and Lamar seems to be very well respected in the music industry. Granted, the music branch is filled with a lot of classical-type composers and old time pop\rock stars like Phil Collins. So it is possible.

If a song like "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" can win an Oscar, surely Kendrick Lamar can earn a nomination.

Disney will be throwing its weight behind something this year. If it's not The Incredibles or Mary Poppins, it might well be Black Panther. A Best Picture nomination would go a long ways to preventing another critical #OscarsSoWhite campaign.

pretty sure Pray for me and All The Stars, which are the two hits from the soundtrack both went top 10 on billboard, meet all the requirements at least. hell the weeknd got nominated for his fifty shades song not a stretch he can get nominated for a black panther song.

i don't think they'll win the winner is gonna be something from a musical out this year mary poppins or star is born probably.

The theater showing Unsane in my area kept it on a full slate of showtimes this weekend. I'm guessing a few of 'em were empty. :lol:

If I see it this week, it may well join the rare club of movies I've seen completely alone. The last one was T2: Trainspotting last year.

Demo breakdowns:

RPO:

63/37 gender split in favor of males (it was 66/34 initially)

41% of the audience is under 25

22% of the audience saw it with 2-4 other friends

82% of the audience is positive with a definite recommend from 65%

Almost 80% of sales were walkups

35% of sales were 3D

16% of sales were IMAX (using the 3 day; deadline isn't specifying)

Acrimony:

74/26 gender split in favor of females

15% of the audience is under 25

65% saw it because of Cookie Monster

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

That Blockers Australia number is EXTREMELY promising. If it follows Game Night's trajectory in America that's a 31.7M opening.

UK was also an improvement although not as drastic. 21.5M in the states if it follows Game Night. I'm pretty confident in 24-27M 

That's what I thought, too, but on the other hand, might be inflated due to easter holidays.

My big fat greek wedding 2 opened to $3m+ in Australia, but that might be due to the big greek population there.

231m WW for PRU is actually better than what I was expecting it to be. Now just imagine if it was actually holding better in China and US. A 3rd film would actually be on the table. 

Will it actually hit 300m? Needs 320-330 before home video and merchandise imo for a 3rd film to happen.

8 minutes ago, Cookson said:

231m WW for PRU is actually better than what I was expecting it to be. Now just imagine if it was actually holding better in China and US. A 3rd film would actually be on the table. 

Will it actually hit 300m? Needs 320-330 before home video and merchandise imo for a 3rd film to happen.

PRU was a movie made for China and it collapsed in there. I see a sequel to Tomb Raider as much more possible than a 3rd PR movie, but stranger things have happened I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A sequel to Pacific Rim Uprising would just lose at least another 100mil from Uprising. Unless they can lower the budget to 50-60mil I don't see how the 3rd film would be worth making.

Anyway. Ready Player One is going to need good legs everywhere. The world wide opening is okay. I don't see it collapsing like Uprising did.

Edited by Zakiyyah6