Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread | Estimates: AQP 50M, RP1 25M, CKBLK 21.4M, BP 8.4M,

A Quiet Place and Blockers are definitely the highlights of the weekend, but I think it'll also be interesting to look at the limited release films; this is one of the best collections of platform releases on a weekend outside of Oscar season that I've seen in a long while.

The first film that I want to talk about is You Were Never Really Here by Lynne Ramsay. The film received great reviews when it was premiered at last year's Cannes film festival, and Amazon Studios (The Big Sick) is handling distribution. The company has numerous advertisements stating that the film will receive an expansion on April 20th, and for potentially good reason; the film could appeal to the hardcore action audience, as it seems to me like a film where a John Wick type of character has his gun replaced with a hammer and has his story told with maturity rather than a campy tone. I'm optimistic about this film's potential, especially with Amazon Studios behind the wheel.

The Endless seems to be a very well-executed sci-fi thriller; if it's lucky, it might be able to entice the hardcore sci-fi audience and perform like Gareth Edwards' debut feature, Monsters, which, in 2010, grossed $4.2 million on a similarly-shoestring $500,000 budget.

A24 has a new film, too: Lean on Pete by Andrew Haigh. The film's reviews are about as good as most of all the A24 releases; it seems to be a moving dramatic piece about a boy and an aging horse. I'm confident that there's a potential platform audience that can push this pretty well.

And finally, we have Sweet Country, a film that's been touted by Metacritic as of late. The film is a slow-paced Australian 'western' about an aboriginal man and his wife fleeing from the law. I'm not saying it's gonna break out, but I'm confident that film may do better than it would have if Metacritic hadn't of given it a 90.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

I have it passing 107 after Thursday.  

26 weekend #2 + 10 weekdays = 108 - This weekend

15 weekend #3 + 6 weekdays = 139 - Rampage

10 weekend #4 + 4 weekdays = 153 - I Feel Pretty

5 weekend #5 + 2 weekdays = 160

+10% = 176

Thanks, big help

So happy for Paramount, Emily Blunt and Jim from The Office.

I'm watching it Sunday with a party of like 15. I've been pimping it for weeks and now my gang turned it into an event. Although horror doesn't need help in this market.

6 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-tracking-action-point-adrift-updates-avengers-infinity-war/

Rampage: 37/85

Truth or Dare: 14/28

I Feel Pretty: 17/57

Infinity War: 225/586

Action Point: 17/42.5

Adrift: 10/34

That's way too low for Action Point. I don't see it going below 60M.

8 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

I have it passing 107 after Thursday.  

26 weekend #2 + 10 weekdays = 108 - This weekend

15 weekend #3 + 6 weekdays = 139 - Rampage

10 weekend #4 + 4 weekdays = 153 - I Feel Pretty

5 weekend #5 + 2 weekdays = 160

+10% = 176

best case scenario... it could hit 100m after this weekend and double.

That's some wicked legs you are predicting maybe even with AQP and Blockers doing great numbers. 

5 minutes ago, slambros said:

The first film that I want to talk about is You Were Never Really Here by Lynne Ramsay. The film received great reviews when it was premiered at last year's Cannes film festival, and Amazon Studios (The Big Sick) is handling distribution. The company has numerous advertisements stating that the film will receive an expansion on April 20th, and for potentially good reason; the film could appeal to the hardcore action audience, as it seems to me like a film where a John Wick type of character has his gun replaced with a hammer and has his story told with maturity rather than a campy tone. I'm optimistic about this film's potential, especially with Amazon Studios behind the wheel.

The Endless seems to be a very well-executed sci-fi thriller; if it's lucky, it might be able to entice the hardcore sci-fi audience and perform like Gareth Edwards' debut feature, Monsters, which, in 2010, grossed $4.2 million on a similarly-shoestring $500,000 budget.

You Were Never Really Here  came out in the UK a few weeks ago and it absolutely will not appeal to hardcore action fans. It’s actually more of a contemplative character study drama with brief flashes of violence, the majority of which occurs off screen. It’s a good film, but anyone expecting anything like John Wick will be sorely disappoimted.

The Endless is fantastic, I can’t recommend it enough.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

Do we really need to attack Ready Player One in order to Hype up how well a quiet place is doing? I mean both films are doing great so I don't see the need downplay one in order to make the other one look better.

Some people just can't help themselves. It's great to see movies doing great box office business since RPO opened, because we had a shitty year for the box office before that except for BP.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boxofficeth said:

After watching AQP, I felt the setup was pretty much like Signs. It would be great if the film surprises us in a big way and follow Signs trajectory. It looks to be one of the biggest original horror openers of all time

Signs adjusts to 95/360

200.gif

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Digital ByDeluxe for next week:

Rampage: 1:41 w/out credits. Attachments unknown (I'll assume The Meg and one other WB film (Ocean's/Beasts) will be them)

Truth or Dare: 1:37. Attachments are The First Purge and Breaking In.

6 minutes of credits isn’t too bad for Rampage,