Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread: Rampage 34.5M, AQP 32.6M, ToD 19M, RPO 11.2M, Blockers 10.2M

It's pretty obvious to me that Infinity War has all the hype and is going to KILL it.

It's going to look something like this.

Opening Weekend: $275m (bye bye Star Wars)

2nd Weekend: $62m

3rd Weekend: $14m

4th Weekend: $2m

5th Weekend: out of cinema

• Haha 5
  • Disbelief 2

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It's pretty obvious to me that Infinity War has all the hype and is going to KILL it.

Well..... 1/5 ain't that bad right? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Well..... 1/5 ain't that bad right? 

Hey Iron Jim thinks that both the SW and Marvel franchises will vanish, and Avatar take their places as the biggest franchise of all time.

And he gets very upset if you suggest that won't happen. Cult members do not like to be disagree with.

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Hey Iron Jim thinks that both the SW and Marvel franchises will vanish, and Avatar take their places as the biggest franchise of all time.

And he gets very upset if you suggest that won't happen. Cult members do not like to be disagree with.

Hmmm I never once said they would vanish, who else is going to be 2nd or 3rd?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

That does make me wonder, SW:9 releases next Christmas, and Avatar 2 the following Christmas, what are the chances Disney takes a break from Star Wars in exchange for Avatar releasing in that slot. Assuming of course that Avatar 2 manages to do at least half as well as Avatar. 

Edited by Ledmonkey96

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Rampage under Hercules from 4 years ago. 

The Rock may be a draw, but very inconsistently. 

Central Intelligence

San Andreas

The Other Guys

Tooth Fairy

Race to Witch Mountain

Those are his biggest (non flop), non-franchise live action films. 

Only 3 over $100m. 

If an actor is described as an “inconsistent” draw, he’s not a draw. It’s simply the types of movies, franchises, and marketing. The story of Hollywood for the last 10-15 years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

That does make me wonder, SW:9 releases next Christmas, and Avatar 2 the following Christmas, what are the chances Disney takes a break from Star Wars in exchange for Avatar releasing in that slot.

The four Avatar sequels dates are already set, december 18 2020, december 2021, december 2024, december 2025. No other tent-pole film will be released at any of these times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

The four Avatar sequels dates are already set, december 18 2020, december 2021, december 2024, december 2025. No other tent-pole film will be released at any of these times.

Isn’t he shooting all at once? I expect 4 and 5 to be moved up to 2022 and 2023. No sense in taking a break. 

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Isn’t he shooting all at once? I expect 4 and 5 to be moved up to 2022 and 2023. No sense in taking a break. 

He was going to produce them all together but now it's 2&3 together then 4&5.

25 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That'd be about $390m total and a glorious 1.42 multiplier. 

Even with a 10.75 (-56%) weekend can't see RPO below 135 dom.

10.75 gives 114.1 cume and 114.1+10.75*2 = 135.6

Adding 2x the 3rd weekend to it's cume is not a big deal, even with AIW around the corner.

Also, RPO has gone up from Deadline's early estimate both the weekends. If the weekend is closer to 12 then 140 is very likely.

Edited by a2knet

14 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

"Look at us stroking our Black Panther-sized BBC's, you money whoring sheep! You made us filthy rich, as per fucking usual....... *in distinct Mickey voice* HA HA"

are you ok?

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

China will not make Rampage into a hit, but might well  cause the studio to get it's budget back.

A scenario that is happening more and more.

And which is why Studio Execs are really concerned that in the Trade War with China (thank you, Mr. President) Chine will decide that US films would make a good target for retaliation....

you're welcome

there already was a trade war, and we were losing big for 40 years, we're just battling back for a change

they built over 50,000 screens up 66% from 2 years ago while the BO has only risen 20% in that time. They cant afford to cut HLWD films which do 45% of the BO. It would kill their theater chains.