That One Girl

The Hunt | Universal | March 13, 2020 | Coming to VOD on Friday March 20

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Michael Jackson diehards too.

Yeah, forgot about that. Honestly, if I was going to rank the groups of people that HBO will piss off by the end of this year in terms of how delusional and wack they are, I would put MJ fanboys a bit below alt-righters.

I even got targeted by a couple of them for making one comment on the internet about MJ.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Huh. And here I thought liberals were the ones trying to censor things...

Nevermind. I'm all confused here. Getting my news mixed up.

Edited by JB33

Just now, JB33 said:

The move is clearly out of respect for the mass shootings that just occurred.

It seems like this was done at least partly in response to the backlash from prominent conservatives. I mean, I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but this might as well be considered a reminder of how ugly American politics have become.

For the record, I’m not saying that conservatives are the sole people to blame for this, so for anyone here who’s conservative, please don’t take this as a personal attack. I was simply commenting on how there’s a certain irony to this situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

It seems like this was done at least partly in response to the backlash from prominent conservatives. I mean, I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but this might as well be considered a reminder of how ugly American politics have become.

For the record, I’m not saying that conservatives are the sole people to blame for this, so for anyone here who’s conservative, please don’t take this as a personal attack. I was simply commenting on how there’s a certain irony to this situation.

Nah, I get it. I don't care which side of the political spectrum you're on, there was no reason to cancel the release of this film. Politics have become what religion was hundreds of years ago: a very powerful divide.

• Like 3

There’s one thing I have to ask. From what I understand, this movie is essentially about a bunch of liberal snobs hunting down innocent conservatives. If that’s the case, wouldn’t that suggest that this movie is actually portraying the left in a negative light, and not the right? 

• Like 2

Just now, WittyUsername said:

There’s one thing I have to ask. From what I understand, this movie is essentially about a bunch of liberal snobs hunting down innocent conservatives. If that’s the case, wouldn’t that suggest that this movie is actually portraying the left in a negative light, and not the right? 

Wait, I thought it was the opposite.

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

If some folks couldn't argue in bad faith, then they couldn't argue at all.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

correct. it's almost as if this reactionary outrage was committed by morons who get mad at whoever a certain news channel tells them to get mad at without any critical thinking on their own part.

It's obviously meant to be a satire on the "us vs. them" nature of politics this country has found itself in circa 2019.

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

From what I can tell, the protagonists of the movie are the “deplorables”, while the people who are hunting them down are a bunch of wealthy elitist snobs. 

Oh yeah that's what I got too, but I couldn't distinguish if one side was conservative and one liberal. To be frank, I just assumed the ones doing the hunting were the conservatives because that's usually how it's portrayed.

Either way, it doesn't really matter to me. It's a movie. I wish it was being released.

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Wait, I thought it was the opposite.

Near as I can tell, the folks who are squawking the loudest about this film are saying "Oh, this film is just glamorizing all of this" with the implication that we're really going to be rooting for the liberals as they gun down conservatives.

See, and again I say "near as I can tell" because I purposefully try to not listen to arguments made in bad faith, the logic goes something like this:

"Yes, the conservatives are the nominal heroes.  But we all know how liberal hollywood works.  So while they're supposed to be the heroes, the film can't help but paint the liberals in a sympathetic light."

Either that or, "this film glamorizes political gun violence!!! Stop doing that Hollywood!11!!"

If it's the latter and the folks who are squawking the loudest didn't realize that the conservatives were the heroes of the movie?  Well I have all sorts of observations I could make here, but I too will leave it to implication. :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Near as I can tell, the folks who are squawking the loudest about this film are saying "Oh, this film is just glamorizing all of this" with the implication that we're really going to be rooting for the liberals as they gun down conservatives.

See, and again I say "near as I can tell" because I purposefully try to not listen to arguments made in bad faith, the logic goes something like this:

"Yes, the conservatives are the nominal heroes.  But we all know how liberal hollywood works.  So while they're supposed to be the heroes, the film can't help but paint the liberals in a sympathetic light."

Either that or, "this film glamorizes political gun violence!!! Stop doing that Hollywood!11!!"

If it's the latter and the folks who are squawking the loudest didn't realize that the conservatives were the heroes of the movie?  Well I have all sorts of observations I could make here, but I too will leave it to implication. :ph34r:

It's literally like a dog running in circles chasing its tail. People just want to be outraged and can't decide what they want to be outraged about. I think the sensible approach would have been to release the film and let people squawk. It's literally like letting a baby cry him/herself to sleep instead of pandering to them.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2

That's what's so confusing about the backlash. But I think it's less about the politics of the film itself than the appearance of doing something about violent media in the wake of mass shootings. It feels like a more extreme spin on Clinton's admonition to theater owners to enforce R-ratings in the wake of Columbine 20 years ago.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Oh yeah that's what I got too, but I couldn't distinguish if one side was conservative and one liberal. To be frank, I just assumed the ones doing the hunting were the conservatives because that's usually how it's portrayed.

Either way, it doesn't really matter to me. It's a movie. I wish it was being released.

i am betting the film is careful not to be specific about the politics of the "elites" in the movie, it could be read a number of ways, sort of like the elites in the Hunger Games movies.

But you can find political meaning in anything if you want to look hard enough and throw out logic.

IMHO the right wing fuss over this was more to divert attention from the issue of guns then anything else.

Edited by dudalb

7 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

That's what's so confusing about the backlash. But I think it's less about the politics of the film itself than the appearance of doing something about violent media in the wake of mass shootings. It feels like a more extreme spin on Clinton's admonition to theater owners to enforce R-ratings in the wake of Columbine 20 years ago.

Yeah, I am betting the postponement has more to do with the Shootings last weekend then Trump's tweet.

• Like 1