Eric Prime

Rocketman l May 31, 2019 l Paramount l Elton John biopic l Taron Egerton stars and looking sexy as h*ck

On 10/2/2018 at 2:54 PM, LonePirate said:

Were people clamoring for an Elton John biopic? Apart from a brief rise in popularity following the death of Princess Diana, EJ has not been a presence in pop culture for 30 years. He does not have the cult appeal or enduring cachet of Queen. Even if the film wows critics, it will not be lighting the box office on fire.

So TLK wasn't within the last 30 years? And Elton consistently tours arenas.

On 11/4/2018 at 9:21 AM, TombRaider said:

LMAO.

by the way:

spotify monthly listeners:

elton - 11,8m

queen - 22,6m

and

w9jklg.jpg

it speaks for itself

AND freddy had a complicated life full of drama and HE DIED YOUNG. no one cares about elton's life since it had no drama and he's old and alive! its not hard to understand

Queen just had a major biopic, with a Soundtrack, in theaters. It's no achievement that they are currently getting more streams LMAO.

On 11/3/2018 at 3:07 PM, MCKillswitch123 said:

I think that 25-30+ OW is pretty reachable. I mean, no, Elton is not quite as big a deal in America as Mercury/Queen or NWA, but he's still a pretty big deal on his own right. I feel like he's more iconic and well known than Johnny Cash, and Walk The Line opened to 22 million in November 2005, so I don't see Rocketman going below that in the Summer. This is going to be absolutely enormous in the UK, though. Possibly bigger than what Bohemian Rhapsody may turn out to be.

But these conversations only further piss me off about how All Eyez On Me (the Tupac biopic) turned out. That shit could have crushed 100M+ DOM in its sleep if it had been a good movie. Oh well, hopefully they'll do it decently somewhere down the line and maybe then it performs to its potential.

RIAA Albums Certifications:

Elton: 78 million

Queen: 34.5 million

NWA: 8 million

22 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

There's no question that Elton John is more famous in the States than Queen. Yes, Queen is hot right now for obvious reasons...but people forget how kinda-sorta-forgotten they were before Rhapsody brought them back. 

Queen have never been forgotten at any point tbh. Their music basically permeates every aspect of culture at this point. You're gonna hear We Are the Champions at every super bowl party in America, I mean even Trump used that song at the RNC not to mention all the younger generation who saw Edgar Wright's films and stuff. BR probably just reminded people how many of their songs you know. 

Elton obviously had a much longer career and is you know alive but I'm not sure there's as much hunger for a biopic of someone who's currently still kicking and playing concerts? Elton was definitely much bigger in the US in the 70s-80s but I'd argue Queen's legacy shot through the roof after Mercury's death. 

Edited by Rebeccas
  • Like 1

The biggest difference between this and Bohemian Rhapsody:

--corrent me if I'm wrong--

Taron Edgerton is singing the songs himself.

(I mean, judging from the film Sing, he's certainly capable of it.)

And I think that's significant because there'd be an extra degree of passion seeping through the film: the spoken voice.

So if it's "testing through the roofs" like that twitter guy suggests, then I'm more confident in this film than I've been, and I'm more excited about this film from a personal standpoint.

It'll be interesting--will this be better or worse than Bohemian Rhapsody? Hopefully better. I don't wish for a film to be bad, and another biopic hit would lead to more large-scale biopic films in general.

Go for the Oscar, Taron!

Edited by Slambros

1 minute ago, Slambros said:

The biggest difference between this and Bohemian Rhapsody:

--corrent me if I'm wrong--

Taron Edgerton is singing the songs himself.

(I mean, judging from the film Sing, he's certainly capable of it.)

And I think that's significant because there'd be an extra degree of passion seeping through the film: the spoken voice.

So if it's "testing through the roofs" like that twitter guy suggests, than I'm more confident in this film than I've been, and I'm more excited about this film from a personal standpoint.

It'll be interesting--will this be better or worse than Bohemian Rhapsody? Hopefully better. I don't wish for a film to be bad, and anther biopic hit would lead to more biopic films in general.

I honestly don't know what testing through the roof tells us here cause Bohemian Rhapsody also tested like gangbusters last year. Doesn't necessarily mean the film is good but it most likely just ends in a crowd-pleasing way (which tbh at least makes sense for an Elton biopic vs. a Freddie Mercury biopic, I mean one dude died young and the other is alive at 70). 

The singing aspect honestly I don't think matters as much as all that? Elton's voice is not Freddie's voice and I think people know that. It's not like anyone gave Marion Cotillard shit for not singing Edith Piaf. Some voices are just too unique to imitate. The criticism of Rami's performance is more to do with the non-musical side I think (that first half especially). 

11 minutes ago, Slambros said:

It'll be interesting--will this be better or worse than Bohemian Rhapsody? Hopefully better. I don't wish for a film to be bad, and another biopic hit would lead to more large-scale biopic films in general.

Go for the Oscar, Taron!

Hopefully it's much worse, then it has a chance of outgrossing Bohemian Rhapsody.

Edited by Avatree

The "based on a true fantasy" has me worried about how grounded in reality this is going to be. Even if it's like BR and takes liberties I'm okay with, but hopefully they don't try and do some self-aware fantastical storyline...

Anyways, I can see this being the All Eyez on Me to BR's Straight Outta Compton. If we're comparing percentages that would give this movie:

Either that gives this 60M DOM, but I think it'll do a bit better than that. Maybe take its worldwide total: (assuming All Eyez did about 60M) that gives this about 250-260 worldwide, which is where I think it should aim for. Maybe 90-100 domestic, and anywhere from 150-200 overseas.

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The "based on a true fantasy" has me worried about how grounded in reality this is going to be. Even if it's like BR and takes liberties I'm okay with, but hopefully they don't try and do some self-aware fantastical storyline...

Anyways, I can see this being the All Eyez on Me to BR's Straight Outta Compton. If we're comparing percentages that would give this movie:

Either that gives this 60M DOM, but I think it'll do a bit better than that. Maybe take its worldwide total: (assuming All Eyez did about 60M) that gives this about 250-260 worldwide, which is where I think it should aim for. Maybe 90-100 domestic, and anywhere from 150-200 overseas.

The release date is honestly rough, which I don't get the logic for especially since there's not only a ton of blockbusters but also the Danny Boyle musical film coming out in June that'll also be a nostalgia driven music fest (with The Beatles music apparently).