Eric Duncan

Rocketman l May 31, 2019 l Paramount l Elton John biopic l Taron Egerton stars and looking sexy as h*ck

2 hours ago, 35MM-18 said:

Seeing as A Star Is Born was R-rated and made a killing at the box-office, that doesn't sound like a bad thing.

But are they looking at Bohemian Rhapsody which made almost double ASIB WW... obviously BR far exceeded anyone's expectations (their initial hope was like $250m WW or something) but now the idea is out there that it's possible to make THAT much.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

But are they looking at Bohemian Rhapsody which made almost double ASIB WW... obviously BR far exceeded anyone's expectations (their initial hope was like $250m WW or something) but now the idea is out there that it's possible to make THAT much.

I think the producers and Paramount will be in for a shock if they think Rocketman will make BR money. 

• Like 1

I am torn about these splashy biopics.

I love them, but I hate them.

And my hatred comes from knowing that, for the most part, they take huge liberties with the true stories of the main artist in order to make the film more cinematic, more palatable to mainstream audiences, less divisive etc.

Anything too controversial will be sugarcoated, anything too "unsavory" will be sanitized, and all (or at least most) complexities of character will be filed away to come up with a tale that more closely adheres to traditional crowd-pleasing narratives.

And I get it...I get it,,,the want to make money. I get it.

I doubt that we will ever see a big-screen Madonna or Whitney bio-film, because the most interesting aspects of those women have to do with neither one being a saint, and there is no way that Madonna herself and Whitney's family will allow a film to be made that shows them warts and all, with all the good qualities and the ugly side of their personalities.

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia
  • Like 2

On 2/21/2019 at 10:57 PM, TombRaider said:

lol that trailer. they think they're gonna have their BR...

Oh, but they will...

I knew nothing about Elton John, and thought I "hated" him. I was irritated when I heard of this movie existing...

Fast forward to tonight, seeing the trailer - AAAND, this is now in my Top 10 for the year, alongside Yesterday. :) But for very different reasons. Yesterday has all the reasons to be objectively good - while this movie's only reason to exist for me is it reminded me of Bohemian Rhapsody so much. And I don't even like BR that much, I just loved the experience when we saw it with my Rock-crazed (and absolutely wonderful) girlfriend. :) So I can't wait to replicate the experience of the 1-2 combo punch of ASIB + BR.

So, if this is the effect this has on the Shay, a 1 in a 1000 specimen of outstanding IQ and merciless self-awareness - you should be able to imagine how John and Jane Doe (the average folk) will be drawn like moths to the fire... :) Big WW hit incoming.

Edited by shayhiri

This looks interesting. Especially if this is a Musical imo.

I wouldn't say I am a fan of Elton John, though some of his songs really stuck with me. Funnily enough Rocket Man is my favorite :D (that scene at the end of Californication S3 was so powerful thanks to that song B) )

Also "I'm still standing" is my go to song for getting in a good mood... 👍

Really hope this turns out as good as BR. The trailer looks great for now and I can easily see the lead actor being as good as Rami as Freddie.

On 2/19/2019 at 11:11 AM, TombRaider said:

cant see this doing over 200m WW. elton is no freddie

i wish they had chosen a david bowie bio instead. more interesting person, better music (than EJ) and dead

If his family is smart, they will never agree to an authorized movie: besides the actual rape allegations against Bowie, some of his groupies in the glam rock days were very young and he was well aware, apparently. Totally convinced that Duncan Jones Netflix movie with the side character perving on underage girls (yet it wasn't a totally unsympathetic portrayal?) was him working out some feelings about his dad. It would all get dredged up if there is a big budget Bowie biopic.

Even beyond all that, there will be the same issues Bohemian Rhapsody has with how his sexuality is portrayed but probably worse, I doubt Bowie's widow signs off on any portrayal of his bisexuality, which he himself tried to backtrack from later in his life. He and Mick Jagger insisted they were only ever friends, but others say they witnessed much more going on between the two of them. Whatever side the movie takes, someone will have a problem with it.

On 2/22/2019 at 10:05 PM, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

I am torn about these splashy biopics.

I love them, but I hate them.

And my hatred comes from knowing that, for the most part, they take huge liberties with the true stories of the main artist in order to make the film more cinematic, more palatable to mainstream audiences, less divisive etc.

Anything too controversial will be sugarcoated, anything too "unsavory" will be sanitized, and all (or at least most) complexities of character will be filed away to come up with a tale that more closely adheres to traditional crowd-pleasing narratives.

And I get it...I get it,,,the want to make money. I get it.

I doubt that we will ever see a big-screen Madonna or Whitney bio-film, because the most interesting aspects of those women have to do with neither one being a saint, and there is no way that Madonna herself and Whitney's family will allow a film to be made that shows them warts and all, with all the good qualities and the ugly side of their personalities.

Pretty much all biopics (musical or not) take liberties, often huge ones, with events and timelines, plus throwing in composite characters. Sometimes it becomes a controversy, sometimes it doesn't. If it has popular appeal, it will expose more people to this interesting person, than would have otherwise known about them. Ideally everyone would love the great warts-and-all biopic just as much, but that's not life.