Eric Atreides

Rocketman l May 31, 2019 l Paramount l Elton John biopic l Taron Egerton stars and looking sexy as h*ck

Looks very good, Taron does sound very similar to what Elton used to sound like. 

Wonder who's playing Kiki Dee? 

Musical biopics seem to be very in at the moment. I wonder if this and Bohemian Rhapsody are successful, who is next? David Bowie would be good or the Bee Gees, the latter I believe that they've been trying to do a Bee Gees biopic for a long time. 

Were people clamoring for an Elton John biopic? Apart from a brief rise in popularity following the death of Princess Diana, EJ has not been a presence in pop culture for 30 years. He does not have the cult appeal or enduring cachet of Queen. Even if the film wows critics, it will not be lighting the box office on fire.

• Like 2

I'd put this as the frontrunner for Best Picture for 2019. I think it looks tremendous. It probably won't be as big as Bohemian, but it should be better.

And as for next? Bowie would be tremendous, but they'd have to be careful. Same with Prince.

19 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Damn this trailer has not taken off at all; it's only at 1.6M views after only a day. It's decent for a drama but pales to Bohemian Rhapsody's numbers

freddie is way more of a legend than elton, many more bigger songs and the dying early thing makes the movie more interesting, plus elton is alive and what scandals has he had?? who cares?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TombRaider said:

freddie is way more of a legend than elton, many more bigger songs and the dying early thing makes the movie more interesting, plus elton is alive and what scandals has he had?? who cares?

Pretty much summed it up. 

Ehhh. Elton's got his fans, but I feel like Queen and NWA have a bigger grasp and recognition when it comes to pop culture. His story also isn't as interesting as Mercury or any of the NWA guys. It'll probably do somewhere in the 20s, with an outside chance in the 30s, which would still be fine.

I think that 25-30+ OW is pretty reachable. I mean, no, Elton is not quite as big a deal in America as Mercury/Queen or NWA, but he's still a pretty big deal on his own right. I feel like he's more iconic and well known than Johnny Cash, and Walk The Line opened to 22 million in November 2005, so I don't see Rocketman going below that in the Summer. This is going to be absolutely enormous in the UK, though. Possibly bigger than what Bohemian Rhapsody may turn out to be.

But these conversations only further piss me off about how All Eyez On Me (the Tupac biopic) turned out. That shit could have crushed 100M+ DOM in its sleep if it had been a good movie. Oh well, hopefully they'll do it decently somewhere down the line and maybe then it performs to its potential.

On 10/3/2018 at 2:31 PM, TombRaider said:

This is just wrong, Elton John has sold more records and had more global hits than Queen.

He is the second biggest selling British artist after the Beatles.

In his five-decade career Elton John has sold more than 300 million records, making him one of the best-selling music artists in the world. He has more than fifty Top 40 hits, including seven consecutive No. 1 US albums, 58 Billboard Top 40 singles, 27 Top 10, four No. 2 and nine No. 1.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyK said:

This is just wrong, Elton John has sold more records and had more global hits than Queen.

LMAO.

by the way:

spotify monthly listeners:

elton - 11,8m

queen - 22,6m

and

w9jklg.jpg

it speaks for itself

AND freddy had a complicated life full of drama and HE DIED YOUNG. no one cares about elton's life since it had no drama and he's old and alive! its not hard to understand

Edited by TombRaider
  • Disbelief 1