sfran43

Weekend Thread: WKND #BoxOffice - APR 20-22:#AQuietPlace $22M/$132.4M#Rampage $21M/$66.6M#IFeelPretty $16.2M#SuperTroopers $14.7M#TruthOrDare $7.9M/$30.4M pg 24

5 hours ago, slambros said:

And Amazon Studios apparently hasn't come out with numbers yet for You Were Never Really There... I'm curious about its gross.

From Deadline:  

"Amazon Studios added 132 locations for You Were Never Really Here, directed by Lynne Ramsay and starring Joaquin Phoenix, in its third frame. The feature grossed $551,745 from 183 runs, averaging $3,015, to push its cume to $1.22M."

• Like 3

These twenty films have 37,652 screens.  When Infinity War opens in 4,200+ locations, expect these former theater counts to drop roughly 8,000 screens to a total 29,000-30,000 screens without IW.  With IW, the final total should definitely be below 35,000 with these following 20 films + IW.

4,115 - Rampage - 72.34

3,808 - A Quiet Place - 139.11

3,440 - I Feel Pretty - 21.75

2,038 - Super Troopers - 18.66

3,208 - Ready Player - 128.49

3,068 - Truth or Dare - 32.38

3,134 - Blockers - 50.79

1,930 - Black Panther - 682.61

1,947 - Isle of Dogs - 25.85

1,046 - Traffik - 5.33

1,994 - Imagine - 80.38

1,455 - Chappaquiddick - 15.28

1,148 - Acrimony - 41.67

1,459 - Sherlock - 39.90

1,122 - Miracle - 9.18

755 - Beirut - 4.35

646 - Uprising - 58.84

665 - Time - 93.87

491 - Love - 40.39

183 - You Were Never Really Here - 1.41

=37,652 screens

- most likely subtract 8,000 from above.  then add in approx. 4,300 for IW.

- Beirut doing decent for just randomly being released by Bleeker Street.  Beirut and Unsane should both be profitable for the studio.

- Love, Simon in its sixth weekend.  Traditionally second run theaters for movies are picked up at weekend #8.  Mother's Day weekend is weekend #9 and Deadpool 2 opens the week after which is the next film distributed by FOX which could very well add Love, Simon screens for double features.

- A Wrinkle in Time is in its seventh weekend at 665 locations and will most likely not go to second run locations until weekend #10 or #12.  It should loose about half next week with IW and might pick up double features with IW since they are the same distributor.  weekend #10 is Mother's Day weekend and weekend #12 is Memorial Day weekend when Solo opens and A Wrinkle in Time might pick up some double feature screens then, too.

- Miracle Season should be profitable and is a film that most likely got a lot of advertising with social media.

- Sherlock Gnomes will probably drop a lot of screens next weekend and will have to hope that it is still a top option for kids films this next month for matinee showings and second run discount locations.  Peter Rabbit and Sgt. Stubby are the only other kid friendly animated options in major release, but I think Rampage, Wrinkle in Time, Pacific Rim, Ready Player One, and Black Panther have really stolen any thunder away from the animated films and then there is IW next week.  Second-run theaters should have no problem showing Coco, Ferdinand, Jumanji, Greatest Showman, Maze Runner or Peter Rabbit and Sherlock Gnomes will be in weekend #8 during the first weekend of May.

- Black Panther might not make it to 700M only because of screen losses in the next month.  I think potential double features with Infinity War would probably only boost next weekend's gross by 1.5 - 2.0 million only if Black Panther gets almost all of the drive in double feature screens.

- Pacific Rim had a good OW by opening over 10x the Thursday preview it had and that showed a possibility of Uprising reaching a 2.5+ multiplier.

- Traffik did well.  Shows there is life left in other films opening.  

- Truth or Dare held much better than Happy Death Day.  With all the competition, I was not expecting only a 50% Sat/Sat decline, nor was I expecting the large jump from Weds to Friday.  Usually the PG-13 horror seem to drop around 75% on Mondays, while PG-13 tween romances seem to drop 70%, and R-rated comedies drop about 67%.  Don't be surprised to see the PTA jump about 300% from Wednesday to next Friday.

- I Feel Pretty - The OW multiplier will depend on screen counts most likely.  It is in 3,440 now, and weekend #4 is Mother's Day weekend with Breaking In and Life of the Party opening against I Feel Pretty which could be around 3,000 screens.  A decent Sunday number would suggest a third weekend drop of less than 50%.

- Ready Player One is holding mediocre and will probably see another 50% fall next weekend.  IMO, the only path it has to 150m is retaining screens and interest with popular demand up through MLK weekend.  Same goes for Rampage and a path to 100m.  If Rampage has a normal 40% hold against IW next weekend, then 100M is guaranteed and the same could be for A Quiet Place going for 200m.  

Edited by Thematrixfilm
  • Like 5

@MCKillswitch123 decent openings for Game Night and Truth or Dare. Death Wish flopped while that animation with D.A.M.A. as the voice cast mega bombed into oblivion.

http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_19_a_22_abril_2018_282125addb49a47c12.pdf

Overall a very weak weekend tho.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 decent openings for Game Night and Truth or Dare. Death Wish flopped while that animation with D.A.M.A. as the voice cast mega bombed into oblivion.

http://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_19_a_22_abril_2018_282125addb49a47c12.pdf

Overall a very weak weekend tho.

I hope my local theater pulls an audible and premieres IW on Wednesday rather than keeping Death Wish that night. But who am I kidding, they didn't even bother to bring Kingsman last year.

That Blockers hold this weekend was pretty impressive in the face of two new comedies opening, one of which being another R rated comedy. It's going to lose a lot of screens this week due to it being ninth of out ten for PTA in the Top 10, though. Still, it should end up north of $65M which is surely far more than was expected.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

yo wtf happened to those Sunday holds :winomg: 

They all looked really overestimated to me (especially after those Saturday increases) so I can't say I'm surprised.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3