CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Still the 10th best movie of all time on IMDB.

All the marvel movies start up this way, with the hardcore fans pushing up the ratings without even watching it first. 

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

I think it's fundamentally difficult to be disappointed with an opening over 200M. We're not really at the stage where they're it's an "eh whatever" kind of number.

Getting there though. Three in the span of five months :jeb!:

4 in span of 5 months in 3 weeks.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, aabattery said:

I think it's fundamentally difficult to be disappointed with an opening over 200M. We're not really at the stage where they're it's an "eh whatever" kind of number.

Getting there though. Three in the span of five months :jeb!:

I blame BP for AIW's disappointment feeling for a great 220m+ OW. Every marvel fan here was certain, just because BP was doing great, it meant that AIW would do even better and now it won't even top BP for Domestic crown.

1 minute ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

This summer game is closed, so THE EXPANSE.

But next time...

Next time the same will happen. It is inevitable.

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Amen...I'd be in for a simpler summer/winter game if anyone ever wanted to try it...maybe just a top summer 10 or something...

All of you with time for the current game - mad respect, b/c I just see it and it overwhelms me (not to mention the time suck that I don't have:)...

Just go with the spirit of the original game: post your top 15 domestic / top 12 world-wide / top 7 OWs

@baumer started it because people would always claim they had predicted or knew when a movie was gonna breakout or flop, so it's the ultimate "put up or shut up". :lol: 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

UPSET FOR THE AGES.

lmaooo what was the context again? Pretty sure it was one of the Marvels falling to second on a weekday

Just now, Chewy said:

lmaooo what was the context again? Pretty sure it was one of the Marvels falling to second on a weekday

Yes, it was Iron Man 3 falling to 2nd on his 2nd Wednesday against The Great Gatsby.

• Haha 1

You won't have a lot 200m+ openers in the coming years folks.

Surpassing 600m will be tough as hell too, unless Cameron ...

Enjoy it while it lasts bo lovers.

Soon only inflation will allow this to happen.

All the biggest brands and IPs of the last 40 years or will have peaked by next year after Disney s year of reckoning.

Even those babies could Could miss it :

Jurassic World 2

Lion King

Star Wars 9

forgot anyone ?

Maybe Batman someday or an iconic superhero I am not familiar with but I doubt it.

It could happen maybe with a new Potter or Hunger Games.

9 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Fair enough. Still seems really strong to me for the third film in a series, and a film in an interconnected universe that, for me, is less accessible because I've seen so few Marvel movies. It's not easy to hit $200M+. But point taken. :) 

Peace,

Mike

Im with you all the way. Anyone calling this a flop is a fool. Imho the MCU has reached its cap audience wise.

I'm thinking maybe DHD is being cautious with their range...

if i remember well, they're talked about + $ 90M OD [with a possibility of $ 100M] in their early numbers for Ultron back in 2015

so this time, maybe their lowered a bit the low-end for IW [$ 95M] to avoid a situation like Ultron again

still thinking $ 102 - 105M is more realistic

Haven't caught up, but I think once Black Panther surged to the amount it did, no way Infinity War would beat it, no matter how good it is.

Because in the end, even not having watched AIW first, knowing that it would be split would not give it the legs it would need to beat BP.