CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

it was soooo annoying to have to endure the ridiculous predictions 700-1B dom... :wintf:

& 300M opening weekend... Ive only been apart of this sub for like a month and haven't been following the box office that long and knew those numbers were preposterous. 

• Like 4
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I'm thinking maybe DHD is being cautious with their range...

if i remember well, they're talked about + $ 90M OD [with a possibility of $ 100M] in their early numbers for Ultron back in 2015

so this time, maybe their lowered a bit the low-end for IW [$ 95M] to avoid a situation like Ultron again

still thinking $ 102 - 105M is more realistic

The other trades (who have their own analysts) are saying 95-100m. Not saying they're infallible, but it's wrong to think that the low-end is just Deadline being super cautious.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Shawn is predicting the extinction of the dinosaurs.

this will be atrocious for JW

i mean, the marketing has been trash, but falling from $ 650M to $ 350M will be really impressive [not in a good way]

still thinking $ 170M debut and $ 430M total

• Like 2

Less than 100M OD will be disappointing. Guess Star Wars is still a bridge too far for other franchises.

It is also crazy DH2 did 43.5M with midnights ONLY while these mega 200M openers can't pull that off with 7 PM shows (once again, SW aside, that is an entirely different beast).

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, tawasal said:

I blame BP for AIW's disappointment feeling for a great 220m+ OW. Every marvel fan here was certain, just because BP was doing great, it meant that AIW would do even better and now it won't even top BP for Domestic crown.

"won't even top BP"? Black Panther made like 680m domestic. Christ.

• Like 3

Just now, Trolltastic Tele said:

The other trades (who have their own analysts) are saying 95-100m. Not saying they're infallible, but it's wrong to think that the low-end is just Deadline being super cautious.

maybe their all is being more cautious this time... everyone freak out in early numbers from Ultron, not just DHD

let's see how it goes later, Ultron did $ 56M real-friday, i can't see IW doing that [obviously is not impossible]

Just now, MAKKALUL said:

"won't even top BP"? Black Panther made like 680m domestic. Christ.

What multiplier are you expecting from a 220m-235m for it to beat the ginormous 690m-700m that BP is going to end with?  

15 minutes ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

Just go with the spirit of the original game: post your top 15 domestic / top 12 world-wide / top 7 OWs

@baumer started it because people would always claim they had predicted or knew when a movie was gonna breakout or flop, so it's the ultimate "put up or shut up". :lol: 

Top 15 DOM would be enough for me:).  But you hate to be "that person" that just plays a part of the game and takes up the game mod's time on someone who is obviously not winning...

Although I really like the game start reason:)...good job baumer!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Less than 100M OD will be disappointing. Guess Star Wars is still a bridge too far for other franchises.

It is also crazy DH2 did 43.5M with midnights ONLY while these mega 200M openers can't pull that off with 7 PM shows (once again, SW aside, that is an entirely different beast).

TBF DH2 was the finale for Potter, this is more DH1 IMO 

Edited by Jonwo

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Remember when Rth initially had 100 for AOU's od :lol:.. the meltdowns! and the celebrations from Noctis when it fell below Potter's 90+ od (that time a record).

Noctis' explosion was legendary. :rofl: 

(Come to think of it, DH2's OD adjusts to 105m.) :thinking: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

maybe their all is being more cautious this time... everyone freak out in early numbers from Ultron, not just DHD

let's see how it goes later, Ultron did $ 56M real-friday, i can't see IW doing that [obviously is not impossible]

I don't think it has anything to do with Age of Ultron my friend. 

• Sad 1

Just now, tawasal said:

What multiplier are you expecting from a 220m-235m for it to beat the ginormous 690m-700m that BP is going to end with?  

You seem to have misunderstood. I was saying the implication that a movie won't make as much as the 3rd highest domestic run as something disappointing is absolutely ridiculous.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MAKKALUL said:

You seem to have misunderstood. I was saying the implication that a movie won't make as much as the 3rd highest domestic run as something disappointing is absolutely ridiculous.  

Well you should have been clear, cuz my mind took it the other way.