CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Potter's 91 in 2001 to AIW's 260 in 2018. Record ow has increased by more than 185% over 17 years. By that calc in 2035 the record ow will be 740+ :lol:, needing 2.7x for 2b dom.

• Astonished 2

3 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

In other words, IW-Thursday would have placed #2 straight up?   

Adjusted TFA in our sights?   

This weekend just gets better and better.

You're awfully concerned about the adjusted number.  Why bother?  IW has the record for the OW and it has it quite easily.  Embrace it and enjoy it.

36 minutes ago, Eldenfirefly said:

Imagine when Marvel gets its hands back on X-men! :)

That's gonna be one pretty damn sad day.

On a side note I just might go watch IW for a third time next weekend. Insane how that movie stays with you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

You do realize Marvel has similar franchise marathon shows, right? Those shows add a very minimal number. And setting aside, how do you explain TFA's run the rest of the way? After Thursday, the film grossed $880 million all by itself. 

Thank you.

I don't understand why some are trying to undermine another film here.  TFA was a fantastic opening weekend, no need to disparage it to feel better about this one.  Just enjoy this record, there's no point in trying to point out short comings of a film that opened up to 247 million dollars.  :)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Thanos after learning Ultron failed to set the box office record in 2015...

ezgif-1-f26d6cea6a.gif

The CGI of Thanos has come a long way.

Can’t believe there were folks who prefer this Thanos look from the IW one lol.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, baumer said:

You're awfully concerned about the adjusted number.  Why bother?  IW has the record for the OW and it has it quite easily.  Embrace it and enjoy it.

From RTH's comment, it sounds like it has a reasonable shot to go past $261m though. That would be a pretty badass result if it happens. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

And yes ‘trailer views’ did count. They always do. 

Yes they do but I'm honestly starting to believe likes-to-views ratio count even more. Just compare Power Rangers trailer to Venom's trailer, for example. Insane difference for two well viewed trailers.

Venom 150M OW confirmed by the way.

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Whether you wanted IW to get the OW record or not, as box office nerds, this is what we live for.  We all want to see great box office feats and we have witnessed two mind blowing and record breaking weekends in 18 months.  It's a great time to be a fan of following the box office.  It's exciting to see the numbers come in, the whispers of underestimations from our two insiders and then to refresh deadline and twitter and facebook just to see if we can get any kind of hint as to what's happening.  This is like Christmas for me, filled with hope and joy and excitement! 

Hear, hear!

• Like 1

I don't believe this movie is doing anything less than a 2.6x multiplier, not with those Saturday and Sunday numbers.

In fact I believe 700M domestic is a very real target now. Over 750M is not impossible either specially if it gets to 260M OW.

11 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

That's too bad as Logan is a much better film than AIW, quality-wise, that is.

That's too bad you're WRONG!

Logan is good (first and second act, third is bad)

Infinity War is ALL incredible!

I get more excitement out of watching an I Can Only Imagine or a Super Troopers 2 surprise people more than I do watching the most hyped movie in years do great. I mean, it was expected to do great. Congrats to all involved, but to be honest I kind of tune it out after a while.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BugsBunny said:

The amazing thing is that this movie did not benefit from including $100 tickets sold for showings of all 7 Star Wars movies on the Thursday of TFA. No one has ever commented on this but I think it’s time to realize that those extra showings all day Thursday simply must have contributed a huge fraction of the space between all the other huge previews in the 35-40 range versus TFA at almost 60. 

LOL, You're way off base here.  MCU had the same thing as well.  

Tracking Infinity war's dailies is going to be fascinating. Are people gonna be affected by its ending in a good or bad way ?  Will we get a good multiplier or a bad multiplier? Without going into spoilers, there can be a case made for saying that it might drop after this weekend and have a bad multiplier. But I do not belong to that group. I think this is starting to take on a life of its own as well. When movies like this blow up to this kind of level, the casual audience gets drawn in despite itself. It doesn't matter whether you were a superhero fan or not. This is something that 18 movies built up to and it is breaking box office records, its topping even TFA!  

Just that alone is going to stir up the interest. And speaking as someone who is a casual fan (I confess I didn't watch all the marvel movies), I absolutely wouldn't mind watching it again. So, really, I think the Monday and the dailies box office numbers after that are gonna be surprise on the upside! :D