Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

9 minutes ago, Alli said:

There's a review on letterboxd. safe to say it's not good

Did you see the review on letterboxd that said it was like going back in time, watching CatWoman but instead of seeing Halle Berry on the big screen, he saw Dane Cook on acid. 

:Gaga:

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Did you see the review on letterboxd that said it was like going back in time, watching CatWoman but instead of seeing Halle Berry on the big screen, he saw Dane Cook on acid. 

:Gaga:

lol NO

At least this is gonna be a disaster we can laugh at. :stirthepot:

• Haha 1

Even more so glad I'll be seeing this for free Wednesday night.

Sounding like it's going to be even worse than I have been thinking.

Also, I sold my Venom swag I got for free on Ebay last night(Lg T-Shirt, that face mask and a mini poster).

After fees&shipping I still made $10 so thanks for that Venom at least!

This movie is going to be so popular with people nostalgic for bad comic book movies from the pre-MCU 00's. Such cult classics like Daredevil, Elektra, Catwoman,and Ghost Rider. I see this film ushering in a new era of funny book films!

5 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

This movie is going to be so popular with people nostalgic for bad comic book movies from the pre-MCU 00's. Such cult classics like Daredevil, Elektra, Catwoman,and Ghost Rider. I see this film ushering in a new era of funny book films!

Venom, putting the N back in Nostalgia.

Edited by The Futurist

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I hope critics pile on to mock this movie, and then audiences turn it into a huge box office hit. Last time we had one of those was Suicide Squad. It's always nice to see the opinion of this basket of deplorables getting ignored by the public.

Im sorry but do you even like Suicide Squad?

I get that your a DC fanboy but you’ve got to have some kind of limit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I hope critics pile on to mock this movie, and then audiences turn it into a huge box office hit. Last time we had one of those was Suicide Squad. It's always nice to see the opinion of this basket of deplorables getting ignored by the public.

going to see barely functional movies to own the fake news media.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

On 9/29/2018 at 6:35 PM, Barnack said:

He maybe lost some of those privilege after Dragoon tattoo debacle (say being able to choose strange release date and try to sell it has the feel bad Christmas movie), but yes he apparently got full marketing control on some projects.

Rudin and Sony speaking with Sorkin that really wanted to have Fincher on Steve Jobs

Scott Rudin wrote:

You don’t think $40m to shoot three scenes is enough?  Do YOU want every control given to him, including the entire marketing campaign?  This is the director who refused to put the girl with the dragon tattoo in the ads for THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO.

Sorkin to respond:

You're not going to get an argument from me on that. I wrote the least expensive movie I know how to write. And while I think he can be of enormous value when it comes to marketing (the materials for TSN were fantastic), no, I'd be uncomfortable with him having control because there's always the risk that the billboards will say, "Anyone who doesn't see this movie is an asshole". But is there nothing in the middle that would make everyone happy?

Has for the lack of being able to use the franchise name in the ads for the Girls with the dragon Tattoo movie, we see that Sony is getting all that itch fix with the new one.....

Or is stunt of using real metal to do razor shaped posted that apparently back fired for the studio after some theater staff cut themselves with those and had to be removed from circulation:

He had control on Gone Girl as well, so I don't really understand their problem. I'll maintain that there was no greater upside for a Dragon Tattoo movie at Christmas than 100 mil domestic. 

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Generalizing a field of hundreds of people...cool story, bro. 

I wonder if Venom does poorly at the box office and does poorly critically, if the same folks who attacked Olivia Munn for sabotaging The Predator will mention how Tom Hardy sabotaged this movie by mentioning his favorite 40 minutes were cut 🤔

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

He had control on Gone Girl as well, so I don't really understand their problem. I'll maintain that there was no greater upside for a Dragon Tattoo movie at Christmas than 100 mil domestic. 

Christmas was is choice and part of the issues they had with him. There is a difference between giving some control and total control to someone regarding a movie release and it's marketing, in that case one issue about giving total control is possible legal problem with Apple and Jobs estate, studio love to have wording to be able to control that.

The financial failure was intl, it did fine domestic that is true. But the first small budget Sweden version did considerably more than this one with 100m marketing and 125+m budget in many markets (and not just in Scandinavian ones were that was expected).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I think it's guaranteed this film is going to have a very impressive OW. It's fair to say it's critic proof entertainment. However, all indications thus far suggest the fans deserve a better Venom film (Hardy has even admitted it now).

On 9/30/2018 at 1:30 PM, LegendaryBen said:

Unfortunately, no. 30 Minutes or Less and Gangster Squad were both flops with critics, audiences, and at the box office.

Yup. I think we can assume Zombieland was simply a good script by Wernick and Reese. 

21 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

Are we talking about Spirit of Vengeance or the original Ghost Rider? Spirit of Vengeance was at least admirably bad. The original was forgettable schlock.

Funny, I thought the same but in reverse. Original Ghost Rider is really bad but amusingly so with a reliably goofy Cage performance. The sequel is technically better-made but super forgettable.