Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Btw, the IMDB and RT audience score of IW so far is pretty much the best seen for any blockbuster since TDK 10 years ago. 

That's a good discussion point. Why is it so high? Is the audience too easly pleased by seeing stranged talking to man of iron?

I think TDK got its rating by being great, while IW got its through fandom.

I can understand loving a film but putting iw as a 10/10 just insults actual 10/10s.

I say this as someone who enjoyed the film.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

15 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Rewatched Black Panther...doesn't hold up.

Hopefully it fulfills its role as a gateway to more opportunities for people of colour, because unfortunately it's mid-tier Marvel for me.

Also, hope that people aren't disappointed with a -55% drop for Infinity War because that was the expected range.

If it goes as high as $125m I'd say that would be overperforming and a 60% drop would be slightly worrying. I know the band is pretty small, but the #s are quite large so there are distinctions.

Without going into spoilers what would you change about BP?

Just now, IronJimbo said:

That's a good discussion point. Why is it so high? Is the audience too easly pleased by seeing stranged talking to man of iron?

I can understand loving a film but putting iw as a 10/10 just insults actial 10/10s.

Gonna need you to sit down for this one.

Some people have this thing called an opinion. And sometimes... they have a different opinion to you. Hard to grasp, I know, but it is what it is.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

I can understand loving a film but putting iw as a 10/10 just insults actial 10/10s.

Really ? Easily pleased ?

I found it to be a 10/10 because I loved it. Am I supposed to give a F about how it stacks up against other movies ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Gonna need you to sit down for this one.

Some people have this thing called an opinion. And sometimes... they have a different opinion to you. Hard to grasp, I know, but it is what it is.

Read edited post, inflated score through fandom. No one who isn't a fan is going to rate this 10/10 (as many many have)

Amazing film for yhe fans no doubt.

2 minutes ago, Iron Raf said:

Really ? Easily pleased ?

I found it to be a 10/10 because I loved it. Am I supposed to give a F about how it stacks up against other movies ? 

You can rate it as you like, I'm not here to hate (sorry for insult to 10/10 line).

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Btw, the IMDB and RT audience score of IW so far is pretty much the best seen for any blockbuster since TDK 10 years ago. 

Hmm wonder what happened to that alt-right guy who was gonna gather an army of downvotes

8 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Jesus man why you gotta do Pink White like this.

Every time I ever mention my gf in the CC thread Pink goes on a lil rant. But White is a new man, sophisticated and self-assured

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

The user consensus on IMDb is that The Shawshank Redemption is the best film ever made. Star Wars held the top spot for years before Shawshank overtook it. Quibbling with the rankings on that site is futile. It's detached from reality. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Talkie said:

The user consensus on IMDb is that The Shawshank Redemption is the best film ever made. Star Wars held the top spot for years before Shawshank overtook it. Quibbling with the rankings on that site is futile. It's detached from reality. 

Clearly the best film ever made is Monty Pythons Life of Brian.

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Every time I ever mention my gf in the CC thread Pink goes on a lil rant. But White is a new man, sophisticated and self-assured

Every fiber of my body wants to post that Good Luck Timberlake gif paired with some beat your street ass chewy stuff

But I'm SOPHISTICATED now. I gotta focus on the new process.

Edited by MrWhite
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Read edited post, inflated score through fandom. No one who isn't a fan is going to rate this 10/10 (as many many have)

Amazing film for yhe fans no doubt.

Honestly, why do you care? I don't really get it. Someone here once said that calling a movie overrated is a fundamentally uninteresting take because you're responding more to the reaction to a film more than to the film itself (I think it was Coolio). I think that's something more people should take to heart.

That being said IMDB does generally suck so I don't take much stock in it but the whole "it's not a true 10/10" thing is pretty dumb imo.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, aabattery said:

Honestly, why do you care? I don't really get it. Someone here once said that calling a movie overrated is a fundamentally uninteresting take because you're responding more to the reaction to a film more than to the film itself (I think it was Coolio). I think that's something more people should take to heart.

That being said IMDB does generally suck so I don't take much stock in it but the whole "it's not a true 10/10" thing is pretty dumb imo.

I think this is a conversation for later once the hype dies and box office ends. The reason it matters is because people (not me) use these scores as an indicator that movie X was liked more by the public than movie Y

Just now, IronJimbo said:

I think this is a conversation for later once the hype dies and box office ends. The reason it matters is because people (not me) use these scores as an indicator that movie X was liked more by the GA than Y

Anybody who uses IMDB scores as an indicator means you know you can just ignore them

• Like 5

Just now, aabattery said:

Honestly, why do you care? I don't really get it. Someone here once said that calling a movie overrated is a fundamentally uninteresting take because you're responding more to the reaction to a film more than to the film itself (I think it was Coolio). That being said IMDB does generally suck so I don't take much stock in it but the whole "it's not a true 10/10" thing is pretty dumb imo.

Different people are looking for so many different things- emotional response, payoff for time invested, top of the line craftsmanship, subversive storytelling, etc. Yelling "this one's an 8" "no it's a 4" at each other is banality at its finest

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Different people are looking for so many different things- emotional response, payoff for time invested, top of the line craftsmanship, subversive storytelling, etc. Yelling "this one's an 8" "no it's a 4" at each other is banality at its finest

I agree but the problem is the weight attributed to IMDB and RT scores.

It's a sad truth but loads use those scores as gospel.

I know people who won't watch less than a 8 on imdb.

Edited by IronJimbo