Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

That's a good discussion point. Why is it so high? Is the audience too easly pleased by seeing stranged talking to man of iron?

I think TDK got its rating by being great, while IW got its through fandom.

I can understand loving a film but putting iw as a 10/10 just insults actual 10/10s.

I say this as someone who enjoyed the film.

TDK got its rating from its Fandom. Remember Godfather on imdb?

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

That's a good discussion point. Why is it so high? Is the audience too easly pleased by seeing stranged talking to man of iron?

think TDK got its rating by being great, while IW got its through fandom.

I can understand loving a film but putting iw as a 10/10 just insults actual 10/10s.

“IMDB: The Dark Knight Fanboys Burying The Godfather”

http://www.slashfilm.com/imdb-watch-are-dark-knight-fanboys-burying-the-godfather/

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

IMDB is still the largest sample size metric we have for audience film scores. Millions on the big films. That's why I'm not as quick to dismiss it as being completely inaccurate as many around here are. Maybe they're all irrelevant, maybe they aren't. IMDB however is too big of a sample size to dismiss unless you're going to dismiss them all. 

It doesn’t fit the narrative of some people .

I have a hard time understanding how some one can say a part 19 sequel or a film that doesn’t stand on it’s own at all is the best or one of the best films of all time. 

Just enjoy it for what it is. 

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I have a hard time understanding how some one can say a part 19 sequel or a film that doesn’t stand on it’s own at all is the best or one of the best films of all time. 

I think Empire Strikes Back and Terminator 2 are two of the greatest films of all time and they don't stand on their own. 

The reaction IW is getting seems more like the reaction Ozymandias from Breaking Bad got though. The culmination of a decade of storytelling in an explosive way.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Ehh, I mean, I wouldn't call movies like The Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The King or Terminator 2 movies that are wholeheartedly standalone stories without any required prior context necessarily, and they're some of my favorite films ever made, while widely praised by the whole of the film community as all time achievements.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Rampage once again shows Johnson's drawing power. It would have scrapped over a 100mil if Avengers had kept it's release date.

Didn’t Rampage move up a week as a result of AIW moving up a week? It still had the same separation. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Ehh, I mean, I wouldn't call movies like The Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The King or Terminator 2 movies that are wholeheartedly standalone stories without any required prior context necessarily, and they're some of my favorite films ever made, while widely praised by the whole of the film community as all time achievements.

Actualy watched T2 before terminator (before i became jim loonie), it works as a standalone.

Of course T1 enhances the viewing but it absolutely works as a standalone.

17 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Actualy watched T2 before terminator (before i became jim loonie), it works as a standalone.

Of course T1 enhances the viewing but it absolutely works as a standalone.

I dunno up to what extent it does. If I recall correctly, the movie expects you who Sarah and John are (alhough this is John's 1st appearance) and why the T-1000 is going after them right off the bat, but I might be misremembering a bit.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I dunno up to what extent it does. If I recall correctly, the movie expects you who Sarah and John are (alhough this is John's 1st appearance) and why the T-1000 is going after them right off the bat, but I might be misremembering a bit.

John does explain why his mom is in jail and why he is the way he was, so it also works as a stand alone. I saw T2 first and then watched T1. It worked out fine for me.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It's all explained throughout the movie.

Right at the start Sarah Connor does exposition through the a taped recording of her "insane person ramblings". Also what the hell is going on is explained to John, he's like the T2 only viewer in a way because he doesnt have a scooby doo about T1.

• Like 1

I watched T2 before I watched T1 and had no trouble understanding it. The only thing I didn't get were the call backs like "come with me if you want to live" and "I'll be back." 

Um how is The Dark Knight a standalone film? If anything it's less stand alone than T2.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I think TDK got its rating by being great, while IW got its through fandom.

I say this as someone who enjoyed the film.

My best guess on this Jimbo logic is that TDK didn't outgross Titanic and Avatar, while IW will outgross Titanic for sure and likely beat Avatar.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I watched T2 before I watched T1 and had no trouble understanding it. The only thing I didn't get were the call backs like "come with me if you want to live" and "I'll be back." 

Um how is The Dark Knight a standalone film? If anything it's less stand alone than T2.

Very little narrative connection to BB. I've known people who watched TDK not knowing it was a sequel to Batman Begins. As long as you have a general idea of who Batman is you'll follow along perfectly. Obviously you'll miss the context for the development the characters went through in BB, but the plot is totally standalone. Compare it to TDKR which leans on BB's plot heavily. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

My best guess on this Jimbo logic is that TDK didn't outgross Titanic and Avatar, while IW will outgross Titanic for sure and likely beat Avatar.

Yes there are fans for batman so it wasnt a good example but IW definetly is a film for fans which is why we see the hyper inflated score.

Also I'm bot worried about IW anymore lol. Besides as long as Avatar holds WW #1 until december 2020 im good

44 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Terminator 2 is praised by the whole of the film community ? What ? It was just a simple blockbuster , nothing more nothing less. There’s nothing special, in terms of quality in t2, just a great action sci-fi film and that’s about it. It’s not like it’s apocalypse now or godfather 2.