Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Apologies for the rudeness. :ph34r:

Also, each consecutive update seems to constantly go on a lower end than the one before, so.... yeah. I mean, who knows. :ph34r:

No, not rude at all! It's true, I tend to be delusional, it's all good fun! :lol:

The year is 3058. Very little of humanity remains. Those who have managed to survive are still debating The Last Jedi and the ramifications of Luke dying. 

"If only they hadn't killed Luke! Humanity would have survived," they said. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Okay lets look at the list of records BP and IW broke in the last 3 months.

If any MCU fan is saddened at this point just give up being a fanboy because you can't appreciate shit.

The only record that really matters is the FINAL box office number.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

I said the same thing about China, but if you go to the China forum the ones who know the box office best are saying it's going to open to a record and this will put it on pace for at least 400 million.  500 is not out of the question.

Yeah the China thread is hyping this as a 400m+ run. Anything is possible there though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

The year is 3058. Very little of humanity remains. Those who have managed to survive are still debating The Last Jedi and the ramifications of Luke dying. 

"If only they hadn't killed Luke! Humanity would have survived," they said. 

I assume this will be the 30th remake of TLJ

Very Conservative 

448 million Total today.

35 million weekdays -55% drop in weekdays

55 million 3rd weekend -50% drop

17.5 million weekdays

22 million 4th weekend -60% against Deadpool

7 million weekdays

13 million 4-day -40%

So Somone tell me how does this do only 600 million as it crosses it rather easily even with super harsh drops. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

4 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

The only record that really matters is the FINAL box office number.

This, it matters the most by a large margin theres no denying that.

I mean some records are cool like OW but who cares who made money the fastest on an odd calender day in the month of may when the moon shines red and a shooting star appears over Vermont.

Edited by IronJimbo

2 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Well the easy explanation is that it was spillover from people not being able to see it on Opening Weekend. $2 Billion is still well on the table just needs to rely on China more. 

2bn is practically the minimum.  You don’t become the fastest to gross 1bn only to fall short of reaching 2.  That implies no legs whatsoever.

Im wondering does it pass 2.5bn or not.  Yeah that hinges on China but we’ll see.  I think it does 700m dom, 1.3b OS, 4-500m in China.  Could be close, fall just short of it or go a bit past it.  But right around or close to that 2.5 total.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, REC said:

2bn is practically the minimum.  You don’t become the fastest to gross 1bn only to fall short of reaching 2.  That implies no legs whatsoever.

Im wondering does it pass 2.5bn or not.  Yeah that hinges on China but we’ll see.  I think it does 700m dom, 1.3b OS, 4-500m in China.  Could be close, fall just short of it or go a bit past it.  But right around or close to that 2.5 total.

:winomg:

Max this is making OS-Ch is 1b. I dont know where ur getting the extra 300m from

When I read some of the comments here, it really makes me wonder if some of you have lost your minds.  The problem, and @CoolioD1mentioned it on page 75, is that too many of you are looking at this like it should be mimicking Black Panther or maybe even TFA.  But why?  Black Panther had something else going for it and that is it became an event film where all kinds of people saw it that probably don't give a shit about the other Marvel films.  And to compare it to TFA was wrong because SW is SW in North America.

Why did if fall about 55-57% this weekend?  Well, look at the weekday numbers.  It played like a summer film during the weekdays. It's not normal to gross 20 million dollars during non holiday parts of the year.  So it didn't increase as much as other Marvel films on Friday and Saturday because it burned off so much demand during the week.  There's only so much money to go around and if you are going to spend it on a Wednesday, chances are you don't need to spend it again on the weekend.  

You guys are looking at this in terms of percentage gains and drops instead of pure dollars and cents.  How about look at it from this perspective;  it made 16.9 million on it's first Wednesday.  Do you know where that ranks for Wednesdays that are not opening Wednesdays and are non holiday Wednesdays?  That would be number one.  When people are at work or school, it's hard to make it out to the movies.  Here's the list:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/f-th.htm?page=Wed&p=.htm

So when you have strong weekdays you are going to have weekend days that are not quite as strong.  

I can't believe me of all people is defending a Marvel film.

The thing that is messing everyone up here is the percentage drops.  But when you look at the raw dollars its making, the numbers are huge.  A 46 million dollar second Saturday is enormous.  A 115 million second weekend is enormous.  If you take out the preview number of 39 million, you have a drop of about 47%.  

It's insane to see how some of you have such high expectations for this film that 115 million dollar second weekends are disappointing to you.  Do you really think Disney is upset that this film only increased 46% instead of 65%?  Do you think they are upset that it's international gross this weekend was 140 million?  So this gives it a second weekend worldwide gross of about 250 million.  Don't just skim over that number, take it in for a minute.  That's less than a 60% drop from a record opening weekend.  The problem here is expectations, not what its earning.

I once wrote that there will never be another series like Harry Potter...in other words a film series that can release a movie a year and make gobs of money every time.  I was wrong.  Marvel has been doing it for ten years and lately their world wide numbers are staggering.  IW part one is going to be their highest grossing film in the stable and it looks like part 2 is going to be even higher.  

So before you bury this film or cry about it increasing 48% instead of 60% on a Saturday, look at the big picture, not just a slice of it.  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

17 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Very Conservative 

448 million Total today.

35 million weekdays -55% drop in weekdays

55 million 3rd weekend -50% drop

17.5 million weekdays

22 million 4th weekend -60% against Deadpool

7 million weekdays

13 million 4-day -40%

So Somone tell me how does this do only 600 million as it crosses it rather easily even with super harsh drops. 

Even Civil War legs after a 110M weekend is 617M. 650M is still probable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

:winomg:

Max this is making OS-Ch is 1b. I dont know where ur getting the extra 300m from

It had a 382m opening weekend and is at 700m OS right now.  It’s going well past 1b

3 hours ago, REC said:

That's way too aggressive.  2 billion is not certain yet.  It's probably close to happening, but it won't hit 2.5 billion.

I probably don’t have to tell anyone this, but just in case, I want to tell you guys to never watch Game Over, Man! on Netflix.  I watched it last night and it’s easily the worst film of the year thus far.  It’s so vile, repugnant, reprehensible, and has the worst sense of humor for any Hollywood film I’ve ever seen (*not an exaggeration*).  There’s seriously a scene where

they explode a dog while swimming in water and there is a pool of blood streaming down from the water; this is played for laughs btw.  There’s also a gag revolving around a guy giving analingus to another guy that’s only there for shock value and nothing else; there’s no punchline to it.

There are so many other moments like this so it’s kind of hard for me to list them all.  It’s also not so subtly homophobic.  There are plenty of jokes where the punchline is “HA!  It’s funny because it’s gay.”  They try to redeem themselves by making one of the main characters

come out at the end, but it just feels forced and only serves to offer more jokes about “ha it’s better up the butt than it is wih girls”

Also I bet they thought this was so fucking hilarious, but I really did not want to see a

a dick being severed off in close up and then showing the severed penis MULTPLE TIMES

. Speaking of which, the movie is weirdly violent for a comedy.  It takes great pleasure in showing all of its gruesome acts, and seems genuinely tone deaf as to how horrifying some of this shit is.  I came into this movie to laugh, not be disgusted and cringing.  And I can normally handle violence (I got through all of the Saw movies with only a few problems here and there), but good fucking lord was it out of place and just nasty here.  I should’ve known better than to watch the Adam Devine Netflix comedy, but please, for the love of god, don’t even watch this for morbid curiosity.  It will ruin your day.  Sorry for this long rant but I had to rant about how horrible this film is and get it off my chest.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

What does this mean?

When we realised TLJ was not going to reach just half of Avatars WW gross it was mindblowing.

TLJ made less than 0.5A (half of Avatar), now it's an important milestone for big tent poles to reach 0.5A.