Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

9 minutes ago, REC said:

It had a 382m opening weekend and is at 700m OS right now.  It’s going well past 1b

Optimistically its gonna make 150m this weekend and 70m till next Thursday giving it a 220m week at which point it will be at 770m OS. 

Even 30% drops from there on will not get it 1.3b and there is no way on earth it will have 30% drops week after week. 

So I would love to see your math on this

• Like 3

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I probably don’t have to tell anyone this, but just in case, I want to tell you guys to never watch Game Over, Man! on Netflix.  I watched it last night and it’s easily the worst film of the year thus far.  It’s so vile, repugnant, reprehensible, and has the worst sense of humor for any Hollywood film I’ve ever seen (*not an exaggeration*).  There’s seriously a scene where

Reveal hidden contents

There are so many other moments like this so it’s kind of hard for me to list them all.  It’s also not so subtly homophobic.  There are plenty of jokes where the punchline is “HA!  It’s funny because it’s gay.”  They try to redeem themselves by making one of the main characters

Reveal hidden contents

Also I bet they thought this was so fucking hilarious, but I really did not want to see a

Reveal hidden contents

. Speaking of which, the movie is weirdly violent for a comedy.  It takes great pleasure in showing all of its gruesome acts, and seems genuinely tone deaf as to how horrifying some of this shit is.  I came into this movie to laugh, not be disgusted and cringing.  And I can normally handle violence (I got through all of the Saw movies with only a few problems here and there), but good fucking lord was it out of place and just nasty here.  I should’ve known better than to watch the Adam Devine Netflix comedy, but please, for the love of god, don’t even watch this for morbid curiosity.  It will ruin your day.  Sorry for this long rant but I had to rant about how horrible this film is and get it off my chest.

Thanks for the warning.  I will not be watching this one.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

When we realised TLJ was not going to reach just half of Avatars WW gross it was mindblowing.

TLJ made less than 0.5A (half of Avatar), now it's an important milestone for big tent poles to reach 0.5A.

You're talking about world wide numbers?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Thanks for the warning.  I will not be watching this one.

Netflix is finding out there is a reason that Hollywood passes on lots of projects, even projects loaded with name talent, for a good reason.  

There is a reason David Ayer couldn't get Bright made.  There is a reason that Adam Sandler live action movies were kicked to the curb (finally) by Sony.  There is a reason nobody wanted to put up the money for Game Over.  

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I probably don’t have to tell anyone this, but just in case, I want to tell you guys to never watch Game Over, Man! on Netflix.  I watched it last night and it’s easily the worst film of the year thus far.  It’s so vile, repugnant, reprehensible, and has the worst sense of humor for any Hollywood film I’ve ever seen (*not an exaggeration*).  There’s seriously a scene where

Hide contents

they explode a dog while swimming in water and there is a pool of blood streaming down from the water; this is played for laughs btw.  There’s also a gag revolving around a guy giving analingus to another guy that’s only there for shock value and nothing else; there’s no punchline to it.

There are so many other moments like this so it’s kind of hard for me to list them all.  It’s also not so subtly homophobic.  There are plenty of jokes where the punchline is “HA!  It’s funny because it’s gay.”  They try to redeem themselves by making one of the main characters

Reveal hidden contents

Also I bet they thought this was so fucking hilarious, but I really did not want to see a

Reveal hidden contents

. Speaking of which, the movie is weirdly violent for a comedy.  It takes great pleasure in showing all of its gruesome acts, and seems genuinely tone deaf as to how horrifying some of this shit is.  I came into this movie to laugh, not be disgusted and cringing.  And I can normally handle violence (I got through all of the Saw movies with only a few problems here and there), but good fucking lord was it out of place and just nasty here.  I should’ve known better than to watch the Adam Devine Netflix comedy, but please, for the love of god, don’t even watch this for morbid curiosity.  It will ruin your day.  Sorry for this long rant but I had to rant about how horrible this film is and get it off my chest.

it didn't sound so bad to me until i got to the bolded part, but yeah that is morally reprehensible. 

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Netflix is finding out there is a reason that Hollywood passes on lots of projects, even projects loaded with name talent, for a good reason.  

There is a reason David Ayer couldn't get Bright made.  There is a reason that Adam Sandler live action movies were kicked to the curb (finally) by Sony.  There is a reason nobody wanted to put up the money for Game Over.  

And yet they seem to spend ridiculous amounts on so many films and other original content.  I realize they are a license to print money right now but some of their business decisions really confuse me.  I mean, they gvae 40 million to Ricky Gervais for three stand up concerts.  was anyone else really offering that kind of money?  I like Gervais, but 40 million?  

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it didn't sound so bad to me until i got to the bolded part, but yeah that is morally reprehensible. 

Maybe it's because I'm a fragile innocent child but yeah there's only so much violent shit I can handle, especially in a film that's supposed to be funny.  of course the violent shit I'm talking about is watching Adam Devine move, speak, and act.

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Well yeah, the Sony leaks revealed that their employees hated that they were funding so many of his projects. :lol:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, YLF said:

I wonder how much moviepass users not being able to see it more than once affected this? For BP seeing it an unlimited amount of times was still available.

Yeah this is definitely an issue within my group of friends

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Optimistically its gonna make 150m this weekend and 70m till next Thursday giving it a 220m week at which point it will be at 770m OS. 

Even 30% drops from there on will not get it 1.3b and there is no way on earth it will have 30% drops week after week. 

So I would love to see your math on this

I just want to understand, you honestly think this movie is basically going to do (practically) no better than TA OS numbers even though this movie opened 200m higher OS.  It’s just going to collapse, a whole bunch of pent up demand and no legs?

Just now, REC said:

I just want to understand, you honestly think this movie is basically going to do (practically) no better than TA OS numbers even though this movie opened 200m higher OS.  It’s just going to collapse, a whole bunch of pent up demand and no legs?

Zeesoh was talking about OS-china.

I thought the Do Over was blandly mediocre and isn’t the Meyerwitz Stories supposed to be pretty good.  But the Ridiculous Six was unwatchable 

Edited by DAR

And in regards to IW second week.  I realize that it had a different set of expectations but it’s second weekend is in the range of what Homecoming and Ragnarok did in their opening weekends.  That still is mind boggling 

• Like 4

Quick side note I’m watching Crimson Tide.  Movies on a submarine are at the very least always watchable.  And it’s time someone made another 

Edited by DAR
  • Like 2