Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

6 minutes ago, peludo said:

Just 150 million more from USA after a 112 weekend? I know there is a lot of upcoming competition, but that is just a x2.33 multiplier from now. TA had a x3.43 multiplier from 2nd weekend. And even a mixed received film like Ultron had a x2.87. I do not think it will challenge BP, but 650 seems more realistic.

And in Chinese presales thread is being projected right now a 240 OW and about 460 total.

With the 900 OS-China (I think it will go a bit higher than that), you already have 2.01b.

Don't try to come to reason with that profile ... it's a "one person-two profiles" case.

The original profile is IronJimbo who gets worried whenever a real threat to Cameron's Avatar comes out and floods the threads with tears and whines and bizarre arguments.

When that threat is gone and the threaten one is the other Cameron big movie, Titanic, then uses the second profile, GraceRandolph, to try to discredit the menace with posts like the ones we are seeing today. 

I just hope IW makes it past Titanic ww, so the existence of GraceRandolph in these forums will be no longer required. #markmywords

• Like 1

Wow, Infinity War's 2nd weekend is almost 20 million more than the opening weekend of WB's mega event tentpole film which opened to  only  93 million.

That film would of course be 2014's Godzilla.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

37 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I appreciate your analysis but the realistic numbers will be.

900 OS

300 China

600 US

total: 1,8. It might go a bit higher or lower but under no circumstances will it reach 2 billion. Don’t set yourself up for disappointment.  Also don’t forget that DeadPool and Solo are coming to cut it’s legs off 

Your numbers are just insane, as is anyone else who claims this will make sub-1b minus China OS.

It's already done 713m OS, without China, after 12 days of release.  It's going way past your 900m, and its going past 1b.  It will keep going.  And that's not even counting China, where 4-500m is easily in play.  You are massively low balling it's OS gross.  As well as the Dom gross.

I really wonder if you guys are paying attention to what's happening with this movie.

And your zero-sum game when it comes to entertainment consumption, that's just not how this works.  Others have tried to point that out to you.  If there are 2 or 3 must-see movies going on at the same time, believe it or not people will go see those 2 or 3 movies.  If something doesn't have legs it's because of it's own merits.

The same thing can be said for video games, streaming video, or any general entertainment product.

Also the idea that Solo will be cutting off anyone's legs (under any circumstances) is ludicrous.  Solo has to prove its own worth in the market, we'll see what kind of movie it ends up being.  There are reasons to think it might do well.  There are also reasons to believe it will be the lowest grossing SW movie ever.

Edited by REC

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

To be fair, the GA like simple and basic. It's the execution that matters, not the complexity or originality. 

So you're saying...

1) most popular franchises are far more sophisticated and complex than Infinity War?

2) studios don't like money?

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Remember when superhero films used to make less overseas than domestic or only slightly more? What a change 

Well considering Wonder Woman & Black Panther just did that... Does not need to go that far in the past.

Is there really a why didn't all the studio bought the MCU meme ? Because there was only one to sell ?

Edited by Barnack

9 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

OloUPPS.jpg

Because the full potential of a cinematic universe wasn't apparent until after 2012, there's only one other studio/company that owns as many superheroes as Marvel, and it seems like Hollywood isn't swarming with hands-on producers like Feige who could work on literally nothing but a single franchise all year round and make sure all the beats are safely hit. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, AJG said:

Remember Power Rangers 7 sequels that got announced and never happened?

My favorite part is always the tease at the end for the sequel that will never come

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So you're saying...

1) most popular franchises are far more sophisticated and complex than Infinity War?

2) studios don't like money?

I'm saying the execution of it is really all that matters for successful blockbusters, that's all. And no, good execution isn't easy, especially sustained good execution for a franchise. 

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well considering Wonder Woman & Black Panther just did that... Does not need to go that far in the past.

Truth be told there were special reasons for these two to do , proportionally, better in the u.s, and in black panther’s case it did amazingly well overseas , it just did phenomenally in the u.s . Other than the usual superhero films, Spider-Man, GOTG, justice league, Thor e.t.c do much better overseas.

Edited by Thrylos 7
  • Like 1

I do not buy the argument that the GA likes marvel films because they are for the simpleminded that is mostly nonsense, comic books, in general, can become complex, I've seen more critics be confused by  IW than the GA lol/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Arlborn said:

We've seen plenty of movies surge back after a harsher than expected second weekend drop, have we not? I wouldn't say that with any sort of conviction.

I don't think the weekend drop is harsh at all.  I just think that with the competition coming up and the fact that this will need very good legs to get there, that 700 is out of reach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoLegMan said:

I do not buy the argument that the GA likes marvel films because they are for the simpleminded that is mostly nonsense, comic books, in general, can become complex, I've seen more critics be confused by  IW than the GA lol/

It becomes even funnier when you have something like the mummy attempting, and failing, to start a shared universe and movies like Godzilla and Kong: skull island (which I actually like) doing the same thing. I mean marvel films seem way more complicated to these films, hell people that actually don’t like marvel are mentioning IW’s plot, that demands that the viewer has a good knowledge of the general marvel universe , as a reason for the movie dropping as much as it did this weekend.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

One thing's for sure: TFA's second weekend record is gonna be a mother for anything to take down anytime within the next decade. 

The next Star Wars JJ Abrams movie will do it. IMHO he is the key plus Star Wars Brand plus the end of a trilogie plus Christmas legs (Boom: Second weekend record broked)

1 minute ago, edmkh said:

The next Star Wars JJ Abrams movie will do it. IMHO he is the key plus Star Wars Brand plus the end of a trilogie plus Christmas legs (Boom: Second weekend record broked)

Beating TFA's 2nd week-end would require Darth Vader returning as a Force Ghost imo

Without that, they're not tying the 3 trilogies together = not maximum BO potential