ZeeSoh

Tuesday (9/5):- Infinity War - 10.67m

49 minutes ago, MonstersandRoy said:

Do Deadpool and Solo really need to overperform to damage IW legs? They just need to perform as expected, which is as two $300m+ movies. Their audiences are similar so you'd think those 2 new releases will eat away at IW legs.

The one-two punch of Deadpool and Solo will effectively remove IW from all of its IMAX and premium format large screens. IW will lose the usual $2-$5 upcharge per ticket because of that downsizing. Plus if a couple of college friends have already seen IW and now they have a choice of either DP or IW, DP will probably win that choice. Similarly, if a couple of parents have a 12 yo kid and a 10 yo kid, they might opt for Solo over IW. Plus, if IW sells out a 300 seat screen this weekend, those two films will push IW to a 200-250 seat screen over Memorial Day.

LOTP and BI are taking some of the larger screens away from IW at theaters around me and they are not even considered direct competition. That will eat into its gross this weekend. IW may be able to drop around 50% or less this weekend; but that drop would easily be 5+ points smaller if it wasn’t losing capacity and showtimes. Things do not get easier for it in the next couple of weekends.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

so what do we think of the endgame gross overall for Infinity War

Between 2-2.1 billion WW (I think the floor won’t be lower than 2 billion after its great os performance if it does simply good in China while the ceiling could be around 2.2 billion if it explodes in China ), around 650 million domestic.

Edited by Thrylos 7

10 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

I think Infinity War will either just barely and I mean barely gross 2 billion or just damn near close to it

All depends on China but it looks like IW's heading close to $2.1B, maybe even $2.2B if China explode.

19 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

The one-two punch of Deadpool and Solo will effectively remove IW from all of its IMAX and premium format large screens. IW will lose the usual $2-$5 upcharge per ticket because of that downsizing. Plus if a couple of college friends have already seen IW and now they have a choice of either DP or IW, DP will probably win that choice. Similarly, if a couple of parents have a 12 yo kid and a 10 yo kid, they might opt for Solo over IW. Plus, if IW sells out a 300 seat screen this weekend, those two films will push IW to a 200-250 seat screen over Memorial Day.

LOTP and BI are taking some of the larger screens away from IW at theaters around me and they are not even considered direct competition. That will eat into its gross this weekend. IW may be able to drop around 50% or less this weekend; but that drop would easily be 5+ points smaller if it wasn’t losing capacity and showtimes. Things do not get easier for it in the next couple of weekends.

The openers this weekend are stuck in small single screens here lol but I think IW is overperforming in Canada I suspect. 

If it beats BP's third weekend gross or comes close, then I can't see it losing that battle. It will still have like a 50m+ lead after three weekends with a similar same point gross, that's not easy to lose that lead completely at that point. Even if the 4th weekend hold is rough, the MD one will be good for a holdover in its 5th weekend. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Thank you for the Captain Obvious comments, where would we be without them??

:wintf:

3 hours ago, baumer said:

I think I'm starting to become a bit of a new Marvel loonie.  I've been watching some of the films that I either didn't like all that much or didn't love.  And I've enjoyed them more than I did before, with the exception of Civil War, which I still didn't care for.

Winter Soldier I really enjoyed when it first came out, and that didn't change when I saw it again.

The first Avenger, Captain America, I liked much more his time around.

Saw Thor about a week ago and liked it much more than the first time.'

Avengers i my favourite of all the MCU films and that hasn't changed.  Still love this one.

Civil War was better but still pretty much a let down, didn't like the plot or that Tony was such an asshole in this one.

Ultron is the one I want to see next, along with M3, two films I did not like at all.

Have you given Guardians of the Galaxy another shot yet?

I seem to recall you didn't like it

6 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Thank you for the Captain Obvious comments, where would we be without them??

You should direct your attempts at snark to people like Lordmandeep who don’t think Deadpool and Solo will impact IW much. He might find you amusing but I doubt it. Thanks for trying!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baumer said:

I think I'm starting to become a bit of a new Marvel loonie.  I've been watching some of the films that I either didn't like all that much or didn't love.  And I've enjoyed them more than I did before, with the exception of Civil War, which I still didn't care for.

Winter Soldier I really enjoyed when it first came out, and that didn't change when I saw it again.

The first Avenger, Captain America, I liked much more his time around.

Saw Thor about a week ago and liked it much more than the first time.'

Avengers i my favourite of all the MCU films and that hasn't changed.  Still love this one.

Civil War was better but still pretty much a let down, didn't like the plot or that Tony was such an asshole in this one.

Ultron is the one I want to see next, along with M3, two films I did not like at all.

Well damn, now what am I supposed to say when we're arguing MCU multis? :P

I liked it better when you were a DCEU loonie.:redcapes:

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If it beats BP's third weekend gross or comes close, then I can't see it losing that battle. It will still have like a 50m+ lead after three weekends with a similar same point gross, that's not easy to lose that lead completely at that point. Even if the 4th weekend hold is rough, the MD one will be good for a holdover in its 5th weekend. 

And Solo double features will be inflating the gross too.

• Like 1

Hot Take: Ultron compared to a typical summer blockbuster is not bad. Based on the buzz and hype and being a sequel to the well-loved Avengers, it was quite a letdown. 

Still had an epic shot like this.. .

ConsiderateIdleAmericanwigeon-max-1mb.gi

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 4

AOU isn't bad but I wouldn't say it's very good either. Plot and tone are all over the place and it felt like it repeated the beats of the first movie way too much. It was like a comedy sequel: the same but more.

I never expected it to match the quality of the first Avengers but I found it sloppy even with a lower bar. Entertaining enough, but still comfortably one of the worst MCU movies.

• Like 2