kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

On 7/24/2019 at 3:10 AM, The Dark Samurai said:

1. Titanic

2. Endgame

3. Everything else

I dont get how anyone who studies box office as much as you lot could fail to realise how wrong this is. 

People seem to completely ignore how Avatar tripled the previous record holder in China, had the government change the name of their mountain peak, their yearly box office increased 64% that year alone (because of avatar) or how the Chinese movie goers were famously boycotting China's own made movie after removing Avatar from cinemas. It was people like James Cameron travelling there to convince the goverment to be less strict on its restrictions that made all these high grosses today possible. Its 200m gross there is the equivalent of 2b today.

People also forget how only 4 movies had made 1B globally when avatar was released compared to today where at least 5 movies are passing that mark this year alone. What Endgame has done is extremely impressive, performance wise its acted just like any other high opening movie just on a huge larger scale. To say Endgames run is more impressive despite box office being noticeably bigger today just shows a complete lack of understanding. Maybe most of you weren't tracking box office 10 years ago so dont quite appreciate just how hard it was for avatar to make the money it did. I personally remember having to travel to another town to catch a 3d viewing as neither cinema in my area was 3d capable, fast forward 10 years and we have 3 cinemas filled with 3d screens.

As for the exchange rate talk I did some calculating on the UK alone, if you take Avatars UK gross and adjusted for today's exchange rate obviously its gross is lower, but after adding inflation it increases, now I dont have the patience to do this with all countries but you get the point I'm making.

So no I'm sorry, endgames performance has been incredible, but it's not really comparable to Avatar which would be closer to 4b today than the 2.78 it currently stand at had it been released in this market 

Edited by Chucky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Well there you have it, would have been a $200M movie in Argentina. Definitely nothing strange going on there, let’s move on immediately after noting this comforting fact.

Excuse you but the people have a mission to accomplish 

12 hours ago, Permanent Magnet said:

303 done, 54 to go:ohmyzod:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Chucky said:

I dont get how anyone who studies box office as much as you lot could fail to realise how wrong this is. 

People seem to completely ignore how Avatar tripled the previous record holder in China, had the government change the name of their mountain peak, their yearly box office increased 64% that year alone (because of avatar) or how the Chinese movie goers were famously boycotting China's own made movie after removing Avatar from cinemas. It was people like James Cameron travelling there to convince the goverment to be less strict on its restrictions that made all these high grosses today possible. Its 200m gross there is the equivalent of 2b today.

People also forget how only 4 movies had made 1B globally when avatar was released compared to today where at least 5 movies are passing that mark this year alone. What Endgame has done is extremely impressive, performance wise its acted just like any other high opening movie just on a huge larger scale. To say Endgames run is more impressive despite box office being noticeably bigger today just shows a complete lack of understanding. Maybe most of you weren't tracking box office 10 years ago so dont quite appreciate just how hard it was for avatar to make the money it did. I personally remember having to travel to another town to catch a 3d viewing as neither cinema in my area was 3d capable, fast forward 10 years and we have 3 cinemas filled with 3d screens.

As for the exchange rate talk I did some calculating on the UK alone, if you take Avatars UK gross and adjusted for today's exchange rate obviously its gross is lower, but after adding inflation it increases, now I dont have the patience to do this with all countries but you get the point I'm making.

So no I'm sorry, endgames performance has been incredible, but it's not really comparable to Avatar which would be closer to 4b today than the 2.78 it currently stand at had it been released in this market 

FatSardonicHarborporpoise-small.gif

• Haha 12

3 hours ago, Chucky said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

tumblr_p78fh9IHGA1tctq75o6_400.gif

• Haha 1

It shouldn’t be too difficult to apply inflation to Gavin’s numbers. For example argentina averaged something like 25% per year ~250%, making $200m equal to $57m (200/(1+2.5)) if my math is correct

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

It shouldn’t be too difficult to apply inflation to Gavin’s numbers. For example argentina averaged something like 25% per year ~250%, making $200m equal to $57m (200/(1+2.5)) if my math is correct

Other than box office, I follow a lot of hockey blogs that focus on the burgeoning statistical analysis side of the game (if you're looking for a good fanwar, look for people who disagree on that stuff).  Your post here gave me a thought.  Would it be possible to come up with some sort of formula with variables that can be adjusted for country, year released, number of theatres built in the country etc. that could give a rough approximation of what a given movie would gross today.

This wouldn't be perfect obviously, but it could be interesting to see calculations like this.  Moreover, it would be interesting to see the conversations about how different factors should be included and how much they should be weighted.  I mean, it would also involve everyone agreeing to not get defensive about certain films... so this is a terrible idea, nevermind.

9 minutes ago, Sanderson said:

Other than box office, I follow a lot of hockey blogs that focus on the burgeoning statistical analysis side of the game (if you're looking for a good fanwar, look for people who disagree on that stuff).  Your post here gave me a thought.  Would it be possible to come up with some sort of formula with variables that can be adjusted for country, year released, number of theatres built in the country etc. that could give a rough approximation of what a given movie would gross today.

This wouldn't be perfect obviously, but it could be interesting to see calculations like this.  Moreover, it would be interesting to see the conversations about how different factors should be included and how much they should be weighted.  I mean, it would also involve everyone agreeing to not get defensive about certain films... so this is a terrible idea, nevermind.

You basically mean the ultimate equation for the universe, but we already know answer to that - it’s 42 :D

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

25% a year for 10 years is +830%, not +250%. So (if that 25% annual is correct) more like 200/9.3=21.5M

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Recalculate Endgame's worldwide box office by different ER in the past ten years. This is only for showing the impact from ER, not fan war. It doesn't really mean Endgame could make that high ten years ago. It only tells that ER is getting worse.

Reveal hidden contents

This is an interesting chart but I don't think it does that (the part in bold). The argentine number (among others) shows that you can't dissociate ER from inflation.

• Like 1