kayumanggi

AVENGERS ENDGAME | 1939.4 M overseas ● 2797.8 M worldwide

5 hours ago, Agafin said:

This is an interesting chart but I don't think it does that (the part in bold). The argentine number (among others) shows that you can't dissociate ER from inflation.

This. It's not that simple

12 hours ago, Chucky said:

I dont get how anyone who studies box office as much as you lot could fail to realise how wrong this is. 

People seem to completely ignore how Avatar tripled the previous record holder in China, had the government change the name of their mountain peak, their yearly box office increased 64% that year alone (because of avatar) or how the Chinese movie goers were famously boycotting China's own made movie after removing Avatar from cinemas. It was people like James Cameron travelling there to convince the goverment to be less strict on its restrictions that made all these high grosses today possible. Its 200m gross there is the equivalent of 2b today.

People also forget how only 4 movies had made 1B globally when avatar was released compared to today where at least 5 movies are passing that mark this year alone. What Endgame has done is extremely impressive, performance wise its acted just like any other high opening movie just on a huge larger scale. To say Endgames run is more impressive despite box office being noticeably bigger today just shows a complete lack of understanding. Maybe most of you weren't tracking box office 10 years ago so dont quite appreciate just how hard it was for avatar to make the money it did. I personally remember having to travel to another town to catch a 3d viewing as neither cinema in my area was 3d capable, fast forward 10 years and we have 3 cinemas filled with 3d screens.

As for the exchange rate talk I did some calculating on the UK alone, if you take Avatars UK gross and adjusted for today's exchange rate obviously its gross is lower, but after adding inflation it increases, now I dont have the patience to do this with all countries but you get the point I'm making.

So no I'm sorry, endgames performance has been incredible, but it's not really comparable to Avatar which would be closer to 4b today than the 2.78 it currently stand at had it been released in this market 

This is one of the most important things to consider. How many countries just weren't prepared for this new 3d thing? Avatar demanded a significant adaptation from theaters and it's obvious not every country followed or had any idea what kind of success Avatar would be. It's not just China having 1/10th of the screens in 2009 from what it has now, you have to ask yourself that question for every country around the world, But I image precise data on that would be difficult to obtain.

If Endgame was that much bigger, than why is Avatar so convincingly ahead in so many territories? Those countries didn't lose screens massively over the years did they?  When Avatar grosses 2-3 times more in countries like France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Denmark, Russia, Japan (more than 3x) etc. ER isn't saving you, especially when considering inflation on top of that. It's one thing that Avatar definitely has over Endgame, it had basically no weak territories (relative to the market at the time), truly a global phenomenon.

54 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

This. It's not that simple

This is one of the most important things to consider. How many countries just weren't prepared for this new 3d thing? Avatar demanded a significant adaptation from theaters and it's obvious not every country followed or had any idea what kind of success Avatar would be. It's not just China having 1/10th of the screens in 2009 from what it has now, you have to ask yourself that question for every country around the world, But I image precise data on that would be difficult to obtain.

If Endgame was that much bigger, than why is Avatar so convincingly ahead in so many territories? Those countries didn't lose screens massively over the years did they?  When Avatar grosses 2-3 times more in countries like France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Denmark, Russia, Japan (more than 3x) etc. ER isn't saving you, especially when considering inflation on top of that. It's one thing that Avatar definitely has over Endgame, it had basically no weak territories (relative to the market at the time), truly a global phenomenon.

Less competition allowed theaters to let Avatar stay longer, while preparing the equipments. Instead of 1 million people seeing the movie right away, 100K over the span of 10 days would do the job. 

4 hours ago, Zatt was right said:

I forgot to post here the celebration party last Saturday. We turned a popcorn cup into a drinking cup:

It went as wild as expected. :hahaha:

Lmao. Hope you had a great time :hahaha:

Edited by Geo1500
  • Haha 1

The Argentina number is weird because that economy has plummeted and experienced hyperinflation. Most others, with stable economies, are much more accurate numbers. I agree in a lot of those markets, specifically Europe, Avatar definitely beat Endgame. However, on paper with USD as the only metric, it looks like a slaughter because of Avatar’s amazing exchange rates compared to Endgame’s horrible rates. However, while Avatar solidly beat Endgame in Europe, it is not absolute destruction as it appears looking solely at USD gross. Still Endgame’s weakest major territory.

• Thanks 1

I agree about the part that ER can not be viewed seperately from inflation. However, ER has a more direct effect on movie box office, while inflation takes time since ER will only drive up CPI inflation at first, then ticket price much later on yet at very different rates.

Edited by nguyenkhoi282
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, salvador-232 said:

Latin America begs to differ. 

well definitely not weak, less dominant perhaps?

look at what came before and tell me Avatar looks weak:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/mexico/yearly/?yr=2009&p=.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/chile/yearly/?yr=2009&p=.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/brazil/yearly/?yr=2009&p=.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/argentina/yearly/?yr=2010&p=.htm

Funny thing is even though Avatar got topped by Shrek and Toy Story in Argentina, they were both released in 3d riding on the craze Avatar created. And that brings back to my initial question, had these countries embraced 3d early on? Was the number of theaters offering it lacking?

Endgame just doesn't look as dominant in Europe

it's especially brutal in Japan... https://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/?yr=2003&p=.htm

go back to 2003 / 2002 and it still doesn't look that strong. Terminator 3 made more than Endgame in Japan

TERMINATOR 3 can you imagine?

Just now, Alexdube said:

well definitely not weak, less dominant perhaps?

look at what came before and tell me Avatar looks weak:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/mexico/yearly/?yr=2009&p=.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/chile/yearly/?yr=2009&p=.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/brazil/yearly/?yr=2009&p=.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/argentina/yearly/?yr=2010&p=.htm

Funny thing is even though Avatar got topped by Shrek and Toy Story in Argentina, they were both released in 3d riding on the craze Avatar created. And that brings back to my initial question, had these countries embraced 3d early on? Was the number of theaters offering it lacking?

Endgame just doesn't look as dominant in Europe

it's especially brutal in Japan... https://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/?yr=2003&p=.htm

go back to 2003 / 2002 and it still doesn't look that strong. Terminator 3 made more than Endgame in Japan

TERMINATOR 3 can you imagine?

Avatar loses in admissions to Toy Story and Ice Age 3 in most of those countries (and in South America the only thing people and the press care is admissions). 

And now that you mention the number of theather, Avatar got lucky that it came out before the Earthquake in Chile, otherwise TS3 would have crushed it withouth mercy as in Argentina or Mexico. And no, Toy Story sucess in Latin America certainly isn't related to the "3D craze that Avatar created"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Avatar loses in admissions to Toy Story and Ice Age 3 in most of those countries (and in South America the only thing people and the press care is admissions). 

That's cool but that doesn't concern me. Avatar sold itself as an experience you had to see in 3d and the extra money it made out of it is to its merit.

And now that you mention the number of theather, Avatar got lucky that it came out before the Earthquake in Chile, otherwise TS3 would have crushed it withouth mercy as in Argentina or Mexico. And no, Toy Story sucess in Latin America certainly isn't related to the "3D craze that Avatar created"

Ok the earthquake fine, but that still doesn't explain why Avatar dominates basically all animation movies prior to its release. That seems to suggest the 3d craze gave them a boost 

9 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

That's cool but that doesn't concern me. Avatar sold itself as an experience you had to see in 3d and the extra money it made out of it is to its merit.

Ok the earthquake fine, but that still doesn't explain why Avatar dominates basically all animation movies prior to its release. That seems to suggest the 3d craze gave them a boost 

Avatar doesn't dominate the animation movies that came before them, it sold less tickets, period. When Toy Story 4 beats Endgame in the next weeks in Chile no one will care that EG will be at 18,5m USD and TS4 at 15-16m USD. Avatar grossed more because children tickets have discount. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Avatar doesn't dominate the animation movies that came before them, it sold less tickets, period. When Toy Story 4 beats Endgame in the next weeks in Chile no one will care that EG will be at 18,5m USD and TS4 at 15-16m USD. Avatar grossed more because children tickets have discount. 

1 Avatar Fox $57,778,619

2008 before Avatar:

1 The Dark Knight WB $20,156,555
2 Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa PPI $16,949,456 12/12
3 Kung Fu Panda PPI $16,379,155 7/4

GODDAMN how much is a 3d ticket in Brazil?

If that's not a dominant performance, I don't know what is

5 hours ago, salvador-232 said:

Latin America begs to differ. 

Avatar ended up at #1 (in lc and US$) in most Latin american countries in 2009, that's not remotely "weak." Ice Age did surpass it in some countries (or most, if you use admissions) but that's also going to happen this year with Endgame and Toy Story 4 and no one would consider Endgame's latin american performance as weak. This territory is just extremely friendly to animation.

9 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Less competition allowed theaters to let Avatar stay longer, while preparing the equipments. Instead of 1 million people seeing the movie right away, 100K over the span of 10 days would do the job. 

Plenty of films have less competition but still drop like a rock despite keeping screens, clearly it was more to do with WOM. Also most of the equipment wasn't ready until after Avatar left theatres. Theatre chains would have had no reason to introduce 3d to all their screens as the only movies at the time using the format were the odd animation and a few horrors here and there for cheap jumps but they didn't help their box office all that much.

People where I'm from had to commute 30miles via car if they wanted to catch Avatar in 3d, it was a huge disadvantage and it's not like I live in a small town

I'm surprised at all the comments here, it seems people let their fandom get in the way of the actual box office performance which is strange for a box office site. It's ok to enjoy a box office run more than the actual movie. I Find Endgame to be a better movie than Avatar but I still see Avatars performance as more impressive. For me 2b is the new 1b, but I guess I'm just getting old

Edited by Chucky

8 hours ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

I agree about the part that ER can not be viewed seperately from inflation. However, ER has a more direct effect on movie box office, while inflation takes time since ER will only drive up CPI inflation at first, then ticket price much later on yet at very different rates.

It's fair to say avatar would be at around 2.35-2.4b with current exchange rates. It's also fair to say inflation would bring it back up to around 2.85 and it's definitely fair to say Avatar would have smashed the 200m it made in China today. 

13 minutes ago, Chucky said:

I'm surprised at all the comments here, it seems people let their fandom get in the way of the actual box office performance which is strange for a box office site

I can assure you, here write also people who, like me, didn't like AEG and love Avatar... and still do not share your POV about BO. And have literally decades of BO following experience (me as an example started to follow BO in the '70)

= maybe its your POV that is a bit cut to match? I do not mean the whole post, but some little parts of the conclusions / details seem a bit not based on a complex POV

Hmmm joined yesterday... an alt again? $2b the new $1b and such, who was it that wrote like that again?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1