That One Girl

Weekend Thread | Wknd #'s A:IW 61.8, LOTP 18.5, BI 16.5, OB 10.1, AQP 6.4, IFP 3.7, R 3.4, T 2.2

7 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

July and August are a freaking wasteland this summer in America.

Not a single heavy hitter on the horizon.

All the big boys are released in May & June this year.

No potential 300M grosser, even 250M could be hard.

Maybe Ant-Man and the Wasp can do 250m, 300m seems complicated for them.

Unless Meg becomes the new Jaws ...

:Venom:

August is loaded in terms of sheer number of releases though. Way too many movies.

• Like 1

Keep forgetting that Life of the Party apparently has Gillian Jacobs graduating to playing the third- or fourth biggest role in a studio comedy when she should've been headlining her own big movies for years now. C'mon Donald Glover and to a lesser extent Alison Brie can't be the only Community cast members to really make it big. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

August is loaded in terms of sheer number of releases though. Way too many movies.

Not really? Looking at the schedule, it seems like a pretty typical number of releases to me.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2018 at 1:46 AM, Lordmandeep said:

I wonder if @Rthanos could clear this up but I have a strong feeling TFA did not beat Avatar in Canada lol

Avatar Made 96+ million dollars in Canada.

Makes sense, James Cameron is our boy lol 

Correct and Avatar was over 100m

• Like 8
  • Astonished 4

I totally ventured in here because I thought we were getting an update.  And, nope, it's just more Avatar talk.  BOT in a nutshell.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 9
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Keep forgetting that Life of the Party apparently has Gillian Jacobs graduating to playing the third- or fourth biggest role in a studio comedy when she should've been headlining her own big movies for years now. C'mon Donald Glover and to a lesser extent Alison Brie can't be the only Community cast members to really make it big. 

Only one Community cast member has an Oscar tho.

tenor.gif?itemid=3570031

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Don't get why studios keep avoiding putting major tentpole films in August. GOTG and Suicide Squad proved you can open big and get good legs. I guess the July Weekdays are too appealing for Studios still.

Could it be linked to China blackout period ?

in 2017 the blackout started august 1 I think:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/03/hollywood-blackout-china-is-giving-domestically-made-films-a-boost.html

• This year's annual summer blackout coincided with the commemoration of the founding of the People's Liberation Army on August 1

i'd agree that i wish i saw Jacobs in more stuff though. it's not like they aren't trying. Alison Brie and Gillian Jacobs both got Netflix vehicles to front it just happens that Brie got the good one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i'd agree that i wish i saw Jacobs in more stuff though. it's not like they aren't trying. Alison Brie and Gillian Jacobs both got Netflix vehicles to front it just happens that Brie got the good one.

Joel McHale got a Netflix vehicle as well :Venom:

• Disbelief 1

Just now, aabattery said:

Joel McHale got a Netflix vehicle as well :Venom:

and the dean hosts that nonsense stranger things after show! Netflix keeps all of them employed.

except danny pudi because LET'S BE REAL FOLKS abed was the worst character. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

and the dean hosts that nonsense stranger things after show! Netflix keeps all of them employed.

except danny pudi because LET'S BE REAL FOLKS abed was the worst character. 

Was gonna say "ahh but what about CHEVY CHASE" but:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/chevy-chase-lewis-black-netflix-last-laugh-1202570366/

literally all of dan harmon's worst impulses as a writer are stored in the abed character it's just some elevated ready player one toxic reddit bullshit with his own weird twitter rants neurosis in there. wack character. badly performed. can't critique the big bang theory nerds and give that character a pass.