That One Girl

Weekend Thread | Wknd #'s A:IW 61.8, LOTP 18.5, BI 16.5, OB 10.1, AQP 6.4, IFP 3.7, R 3.4, T 2.2

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I suspect Universal are banking on it doing most of its business domestic, the OS gross was $1m so clearly they're not expecting it to do well OS.

Oh yeah probably a 1m to 3m intl release vs a 25-30m domestic one. That why I was talking of such a small release cost a studio release (vs a 70/80m average one), because they would have spent in the US only pretty much.

BATB17 is the goal for Aladdin but I just don't sense any real excitement or curiosity in the project as of now. Minecraft and SLOP2 might also pose threats for kiddie fair competition. 

Dumbo: 80M OW/250M US/700M WW

Aladdin: 150M OW/400M US/950M WW

Lion King: 200M OW/700M US/1.7B WW

Edited by Mekanos

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Oh yeah probably a 1m to 3m intl release vs a 25-30m domestic one. That why I was talking of such a small release cost a studio release (vs a 70/80m average one), because they would have spent in the US only pretty much.

You wonder why they bothered releasing it OS when they make meagre amounts, Girls Trip which did amazing business domestically, struggled OS apart from 1-2 countries. 

3 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

BATB17 is the goal for Aladdin but I just don't sense any real excitement or curiosity in the project as of now. Minecraft and SLOP2 might also pose threats for kiddie fair competition. 

Dumbo: 80M OW/250M US/700M WW

Aladdin: 150M OW/400M US/950M WW

Lion King: 200M OW/700M US/1.7B WW

Minecraft isn't happening, SLOP2 is probably Aladdin's biggest worry and I think if WB switches out Six Billion Dollar Man with Shazam which I wouldn't rule out, then that could hurts its legs as well.

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

EmpireCity mentioned the footage of Aladdin wasn't great and Guy Ritchie is a bit of wildcard at this point.

I can see Dumbo doing well but not $300m well, it's not as beloved as TJB and it's essentially going to be an original story rather than a straight remake of Dumbo

Aladdin is probably, after TLK, the most important film of Disney Animation Renaissance on the 90s ... you can make sure Disney is not gonna waste that bullet with a failure-Aladdin. They did what it took to straighten what could have been a derailment with RO, they did/do so with Solo, and if they feel Aladdin is going in a wrong direction, they will do it again. 

There's still one year to go. And they could also play the arab card as happened with WW (woman on the sh lead) and BP (full black cast).

And ... it's Aladdin. I'm eager to see it! The songs, the action, the photography... 

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

You wonder why they bothered releasing it OS when they make meagre amounts, Girls Trip which did amazing business domestically, struggled OS apart from 1-2 countries. 

Maybe that a way to get access or better access to the giant International TV cash cow ?

Think like a man franchise for example did only 4.5 and 4.99m on the foreign market.

Still made a very interesting International business.

Think like a Man:

intl theatrical revenues: 1.641m

Intl Home Ent + PPV: 2.4m

Intl TV : 19.5m (expectation for the movie life time, was already close to 10m at the moment of the leak)

Total: 23.54m

Think like a man too:

Intl theatrical: 1.6m

Intl home ent + PPV: 1.35m

Intl TV: 17.4m

Total: 20.35m

Less than 5m in intl box office but still 23m in revenues for a very small cost, with Intl Cost (a bit above 1m for the theatrical release, almost 1m for the the intl home ent release).

Has long the studios/buyer are realistic about their expectation, I imagine there is a release business to make it work because even if the fanbase is too spread out for those movies abroad to spend to get them to show in enough density in physical theater, the combined total world market for the TV (or now netflix type world offer) is probably well worth it. Or there is some strange old rules that look at the DBO for TV contract even outside the US, that seem to be the case.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Has long the studios/buyer are realistic about their expectation, I imagine there is a release business to make it work because even if the fanbase is too spread for those movies abroad to spend to get them to show in enough density in physical theater, the combined total world market for the TV (or now netflix type world offer) is probably well worth it. Or there is some strange old rules that look at the DBO for TV contract even outside the US, that seem to be the case.

I suppose that is the case for films that are made mostly for the OS markets, for example Johnny English Reborn made $8m domestic but $151m OS and I imagine the new Johnny English will make even less in the US and Universal will likely do minimal marketing but they don't care because the OS money will more than make up for it, Bridget Jones was the same, the budget was covered just from the UK alone, everywhere else was gravy

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Is WB lowkey trying to fudge Game Night over 70M?

Apr 27–29 28 $150,090 -25.0% 208 -3 $722 $68,415,071 10
May 4–6 30 $115,877 -22.8% 183 -25 $633 $68,593,654 11
May 11–13 29 $114,888 -0.9% 158 -25 $727 $68,748,295 12

I don't think there is any fudging going on here. The AMC megaplex I visit is showing GN twice in the evening in one of their dine in auditoriums. The early Friday night show sold almost 40 tickets.

33 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Is WB lowkey trying to fudge Game Night over 70M?

Apr 27–29 28 $150,090 -25.0% 208 -3 $722 $68,415,071 10
May 4–6 30 $115,877 -22.8% 183 -25 $633 $68,593,654 11
May 11–13 29 $114,888 -0.9% 158 -25 $727 $68,748,295 12

Yes, justify your decision to hire those directors for The Flash movie! /s