That One Girl

Weekend Thread | Wknd #'s A:IW 61.8, LOTP 18.5, BI 16.5, OB 10.1, AQP 6.4, IFP 3.7, R 3.4, T 2.2

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Could it be linked to China blackout period ?

in 2017 the blackout started august 1 I think:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/03/hollywood-blackout-china-is-giving-domestically-made-films-a-boost.html

• This year's annual summer blackout coincided with the commemoration of the founding of the People's Liberation Army on August 1

Summer blackout in China usually begins in July. Last year, the July blockbusters like Spider-Man, Apes 3, and Dunkirk all got pushed to September releases in China. There are some rare exceptions of foreign films being allowed during this period, such as DM3 getting a July release in China.

• Like 1

Anyway, I didn't see it mentioned here, surprisingly, but IW numbers in China so far:

$71.3M Opening day

-3rd biggest opening day in China behind MONSTER HUNT 2 ($86.4M) and THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS ( $75.8M).

$77.8M Saturday

-2nd biggest single day gross in China - and biggest Saturday - behind opening day of MONSTER HUNT 2.

$149.1M 2 day total

Per China Box Office on Twitter (Jonathan Papish)

Edited by JB33
  • Like 7

Nice. People talking about a good show at last.

Out of the main cast, I would say Glover, Pundin and Chase had the most consistently unfunny characters on the show. Rash, on the other hand, was always the MVP every time he was on screen.

Edited by Goffe
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

Out of the main cast, I would say Glover, ... most consistently unfunny characters on the show.

What

• Like 3

Disney will eek a flop over the 100mil mark as if their life depends on it. So Disney went from a 260mil bomb with John Carter to a 190mil flop with Tomorrowland to a 100mil flop with A Wrinkle in Time. Time to lower the next one's budget to 55mil.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Haha 1

• Community Manager

I learned pretty quickly that Revenge was a French film. Instead of immediately walking out and blaming @That One Guy for tricking me into watching a foreign film, I watched it and you know what?

I give it a B+.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Out of the main cast, I would say Glover, Pundin and Chase had the most consistently unfunny characters on the show. Rash, on the other hand, was always the MVP every time he was on screen.

Every opinion you have on television is the wrong opinion.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Goffe said:

This is a bad take.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Glover bad comedian; HE NEVER LANDED DEM JOKES RIGHT! Mostly because him passing as a popular/dumb jock was pretty jarring that's true.

Genuinely cannot wrap my head around this take at all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Donald-Glover-Shocked.gif

3 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Don't get why studios keep avoiding putting major tentpole films in August. GOTG and Suicide Squad proved you can open big and get good legs. I guess the July Weekdays are too appealing for Studios still.

Yeah, no joke. Late August through mid September is traditionally a WASTELAND. If you release something with halfway decent legs in mid-August, it has over a month with virtually negative competition.

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Anyway, I didn't see it mentioned here, surprisingly, but IW numbers in China so far:

$71.3M Opening day

-3rd biggest opening day in China behind MONSTER HUNT 2 ($86.4M) and THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS ( $75.8M).

$77.8M Saturday

-2nd biggest single day gross in China - and biggest Saturday - behind opening day of MONSTER HUNT 2.

$149.1M 2 day total

Per China Box Office on Twitter (Jonathan Papish)

In close to 9000 theatres

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 4