The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

3 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

The movie scored an average of 4 points from each member who voted for it, showing that it was right around the 26-35 mark by most of the members who placed it on their lists.

It was 35th on my list! :sparta: 

• Like 2

Heat made my list!  Yay!

Everything about Heat is top notch.  Pacino and DeNiro are the MVP's of course but the script is a close second.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Al-Pacino-banner.jpg

Number 75

Heat (1995)

Warner Brothers, Directed by Michael Mann (52 Points, 13 Votes)

xUhvxDk50zT5l2LPVHISycgSkzq.jpg

"Well ya know, for me, the action is the juice.:

Number 1 Placements: 1

Woo hoo! I have been validated. This film is flawless. Superb acting, terrific directing, writing, cinematography and score.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 4

37740d02577e8eea888532da39164aaf.jpg

Number 74

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

The Weinstein Company, Directed by Quentin Tarantino (52 Points, 15 Votes)

091aeb8849daeae56c00074b183c5214.jpg

"You probably heard we ain't in the prisoner-takin' business; we in the killin' Nazi business. And cousin, business is a-boomin'."

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (57, -17), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (70, -4), 2012 (58, -16)

Awards Count: Won 1 Oscar, Nominated for Best Picture

Tomatometer: 88% (7.8 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 120.5m (147.8m Adjusted)

Synopsis: In Nazi-occupied France during World War II, a plan to assassinate Nazi leaders by a group of Jewish U.S. soldiers coincides with a theatre owner's vengeful plans for the same.

Critic Opinion: "A Tarantino film resists categorization. “Inglourious Basterds” is no more about war than “Pulp Fiction” is about — what the hell is it about? Of course nothing in the movie is possible, except that it’s so bloody entertaining. His actors don’t chew the scenery, but they lick it. He’s a master at bringing performances as far as they can go toward iconographic exaggeration.

After I saw “Inglourious Basterds” at Cannes, although I was writing a daily blog, I resisted giving an immediate opinion about it. I knew Tarantino had made a considerable film, but I wanted it to settle, and to see it again. I’m glad I did. Like a lot of real movies, you relish it more the next time. Immediately after “Pulp Fiction” played at Cannes, QT asked me what I thought. “It’s either the best film of the year or the worst film,” I said. I hardly knew what the hell had happened to me. The answer was: the best film. Tarantino films have a way of growing on you. It’s not enough to see them once." - Roger Ebert

User Opinion: "Oh God, what an astounding film. An incredible script that easily ranks the best of its year, and the powerhouse performances from Waltz and Laurent (who was shamefully snubbed) were an immense delight. Great cinematography, too. One of my favorite films ever." - @Noctis

"Loved it. A lot of fun. Brad Pitt is hysterical in it. Christoph Waltz made a great villain. And of course that great Tarantino dialogue." - @DAR

Commentary: Tarantino makes his debut on the list with his take on World War 2 that managed to shock audiences, while also just being tame enough to be accessible to the masses.  Inglourious Basterds manages to blend a variety of genres in order to make a unique Tarantino style film that's unlike any of the many other films released that were about this period in time.  On average, Inglourious Basterds managed to score 4 points for each user who voted for it and it was featured on 21% of the lists that were submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (7), 80s (5), '00s (5), 90s (4), 70s (2), 40s (2), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), John McTiernan (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (3), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1)

Genre Count: Drama (7), Sci-Fi (6), Thriller (6), Action (6), Crime/Noir (5), Adventure (5), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Period Piece (3), Family/Children (2), Comedy (2), Musical (2), Romance (2), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), War (2), Animation (1), Bio-Pic (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1), Horror (1)

6e16d145bc58bf4c6ac271b288a532d3.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I would take out that damn Ketchup bottle during the Pacino-De Niro face-off tho.

Heat is also a unique film since it had a remake only 13 years later.

Edited by The Futurist

psycho-542ac1f97ba95.jpg

Number 73

Psycho (1960)

Paramount Pictures, Directed by Alfred Hitchcock (52 Points, 15 Votes)

pullan_psycho.jpg

"We all go a little mad sometimes."

Top 10 Placements: 1

Top 25 Placements:  5

Previous Rankings: 2016 (78, +5), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (54, -19), 2012 (53, -20)

Awards Count: Nominated for 4 Oscars

Tomatometer: 97% (9.25 Avg)

Box Office: 32m (390.8m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A Phoenix secretary embezzles $40,000 from her employer's client, goes on the run, and checks into a remote motel run by a young man under the domination of his mother.

Critic Opinion: "What was that about madness? Alfred Hitchcock, the jovial purveyor of this influential, still-masterful shocker, implies that we don't know jack about it. A nosy private eye (Martin Balsam) and Marion's overly stubborn sister (Miles) wander around as if on preordained paths, seeking shouting-headline explanations (money! multiple personalities!) to ultimately inexplicable occurrences. The best that can be said is there are bats in the belfry and a well-preserved corpse in the basement. What else can one do but scream?" - Keith Uhlich

User Opinion: "The grand daddy of em all!I love horror films. I have reviewed all the Fridays, all the Jaws', most of the Halloweens and a few of the Nightmares. Halloween and Jaws are, to me, the two best horror films ever made. And even though I don't think Psycho is on par with some of the best horror films ever to grace our screens, you have to give credit where creidt is due. Psycho is a pioneer for horror films and it is because of Psycho that we have films like Halloween and Friday the 13th and Texas Chainsaw Massacre and directors like Hooper and Carpenter and Craven. I was born 12 years after Psycho was made and I really didn't get into film until at least another 10 years after that, but I can tell you that Psycho must have shocked and revolutionized film. Could you imagine a film maker so bold as to tell theater owners that they are not to permit anyone into the theater after it starts? Can you imagine a film so bold as to kill the main character half way through the film? Can you imagine a film so bold as to kill someone so graphically in the shower? Sure you can imagine all that. It's 2012. This film is more than 50 years old. But imagine what it did to audiences in 1960. It must have shocked the hell out of everyone back then. Psycho is a film like no other. There have been films that have done it better than Psycho but none of them can say they were the first. Psycho is a great film and it is enjoyable, unlike many older films pre 1970 that in my opinion get unfairly praised.If you want to know how horror has revolutionized and evolved to the way it is today, you can look no further than Alfred Hitchcock's brilliant masterpiece, PSYCHO." - @baumer

"If you want to know how to build up your film to the very climax and make it worth, this is the film that you learn from. Everything in the film before they found out Norman Bates' secret was to built up the suspense and it was done beautifully. One of my fav of all time." - @vc2002

Commentary: Alfred Hitchcock finally makes his first appearance on this list with his horror classic, Psycho.  Psycho is a slow-building classic that managed to set the standard for nearly every other horror film to come.  Hitchcock knew how to slowly wind up the tension and then shockingly give a release point that would have left audiences screaming when they first saw the film.  Hitchcock was a bold visionary who knew how to craft both entertaining and brilliantly paced films, which is often why he is regarded as one of the greatest directors of all-time.  

Decade Count: 10s (7), 80s (5), '00s (5), 90s (4), 70s (2), 40s (2), 60s (2), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Alfred Hitchcock (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), John McTiernan (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (3), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1)

Genre Count: Drama (7), Thriller (7), Sci-Fi (6), Action (6), Crime/Noir (5), Adventure (5), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Period Piece (3), Family/Children (2), Comedy (2), Musical (2), Romance (2), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), War (2), Horror (2), Animation (1), Bio-Pic (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1)

5d5506907c67b8f3e128d5150f6a1c72.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Psycho really is a pioneer in the horror world.  From the name Loomis (which trickled down to Halloween and Scream), to the demented killer and of course the iconic shower scene, Psycho is legendary.  I'm glad it made the list, it's just as revolutionary as Citizen Kane but it's actually thrilling, exciting, well acted and not just a one trick pony.  

• Like 3

fargo-s3-offtrailer-banner.jpg

Number 72

Fargo (1996)

MGM, Directed by Joel and Ethan Coen (52 Points, 16 Votes)

fargo_poster_by_laurastreit-day41fn.jpg

"You're darn tootin'!"

Top 10 Placements: 1

Top 25 Placements: 2

Previous Rankings: 2016 (46, -26), 2014 (74, +2), 2013 (53, -19), 2012 (55, -17)

Awards Count: Won 2 Oscars, Nominated for Best Picture

Tomatometer: 93% (8.7 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 24.6m (50.5m Adjusted)

Synopsis: Jerry Lundegaard's inept crime falls apart due to his and his henchmen's bungling and the persistent police work of the quite pregnant Marge Gunderson.

Critic Opinion: "Our Flick of the Week is "Fargo," the first great American movie of the year. It's another daring black comedy by one of the most consistently inventive moviemaking teams of the last decade, brothers Joel and Ethan Coen. The fans of their best work -- "Blood Simple, "Raising Arizona," "Barton Fink" -- now can add "Fargo" to the list, pushing the Coens to the first rank of contemporary American filmmakers." - Gene Siskel

User Opinion: "undoubtedly a coen masterpiece. - @luna

"I'm a big fan of the second season of the show, so I decided to finally check out Fargo, one of the Coen Brothers most famous films. It was definitely worth seeing. It's underwhelming at points, until you realize just what you saw happen in a mere hour and a half. It's packed with plot, humor, and perfect performances. McDormand, Buscemi, Stormare, and Macy - all incredible. I need to see more Coen Brothers films, but in this, the direction is pitch perfect and the script is fun with a lot of great moments. Roger Deakins always delivers a beautiful film, although this is pretty unassuming with the exception of a few establishing shots, but it works. Carter Burwel's score is also pretty lovely, quiet at appropriate moments. Fargo is a very pleasant film that's hard to put into one genre, which is always a surefire way to make it memorable." - @Blankments

Commentary: The Coen Brothers are the next big name directors to make their first appearance on our list, and it's for one of their more renowned and popular works.  Fargo is a neat blend of black comedy, crime and thrills that manages to keep audiences engaged in the ingeniously written spectacle.  Fargo is also a character piece, more than anything, giving careful time and consideration into the each persona that is shown on screen.  The film was on 26% of the lists that were submitted and averaged a score of 3.25 from each user who placed it on their list.

Decade Count: 10s (7), 80s (5), '00s (5), 90s (5), 70s (2), 40s (2), 60s (2), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Alfred Hitchcock (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), John McTiernan (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1)

Genre Count: Drama (8), Thriller (8), Sci-Fi (6), Action (6), Crime/Noir (6), Adventure (5), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Comedy (3), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Period Piece (3), Family/Children (2), Musical (2), Romance (2), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), War (2), Horror (2), Animation (1), Bio-Pic (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1)

freeski_whistler-800x450.jpg

• Like 14

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Why did you use stuff from the TV show? :lol: 

It's late, I'm getting lazy, don't judge

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1