The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

Why are people surprised when someone says the highest grossing film in history is a better movie than Blade Runner?  This might come as a shock to some people, but there's a ton of people who really like Avatar.  

• Like 3

On 5/14/2018 at 6:04 AM, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

download.php?type=download&image=111696&

Number 85

The Princess Bride (1987)

20th Century Fox, Directed by Rob Reiner (48 Points, 17 Votes)

ThePrincessBride-web_original.jpg

"My name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father.  Prepare to die."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 3

Previous Rankings: 2016 (Unranked), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (Unranked)

This is all I came here for. Finally it made the list. Glad I got my list in just at the end, think i put it 4th on mine. 

All is well with the world (well, the forum).

• Like 1

Blade Runner has one of the greatest worlds ever created for/suggested in a movie but Deckard as a protagonist does nothing for me whatsoever so there's never been that crucial connection there. I like revisiting it every few years and taking in the sights and sounds but it'll probably never be a favorite. 

• Like 2

Memento-Banners-memento-742249_800_100.j

Number 70

Memento (2000)

Newmarket Films, Directed by Christopher Nolan (52 Points, 21 Votes)

memento_fan_poster_design_by_lee_jing_we

"If we can't make memories, we can't heal."

Top 25 Placements: 3

Previous Rankings: 2016 (75, +5), 2014 (32, -38), 2013 (51, -19), 2012 (25, -45)

Awards Count: Nominated for 2 Oscars

Tomatometer: 92% (8.2 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 25.5m (41.3m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A man juggles searching for his wife's murderer and keeping his short-term memory loss from being an obstacle.

Critic Opinion: "In Christopher Nolan’s dizzy and hypnotic thriller, Leonard (Guy Pearce), a man who has lost his short-term memory, is locked in a mission of blind vengeance. He lives in a perpetual present tense, his mind rewinding, over and over, in an endless loop, a movement reflected in the obsessive architecture of the film itself, which is literally structured backward. As Leonard tracks his investigation employing a series of Polaroid photographs and body tattoos, he’s like a man trying to wrap his mind around the question mark of his own identity. Memento has a spooky repetitive urgency that takes on the clarity of a dream; it’s like an Oliver Sacks case study played as malevolent film noir. Pearce, frantic and disheveled, lends even the smallest events the aura of a life-or-death search, a quest for meaning." - Owen Gleiberman

User Opinion: "Wow this was really great and 'different'. The non-linear narrative was used so so so well, it blew my mind. The whole effect, then cause thing worked so well. And the twist at the end was great, it completely changed all we believed throughout, whats the truth whats the lie, who's right and who lying. The sammy jenkis thing added a layer. It totally reminded me of shutter island (after the truth about it was revealed of course). So many things worked so well due to the non-linear structure. Like throughout, again and again, we were shown 'don't believe teddy's lies' and then the ending/start turned it upside down. Natalie was definitely the good girl, and in fact she was in a way, but then we see how she used him. And many other things like that. The acting was good. The story was great. The writing and direction were masterpiece level and so complementary in their goodness." - @Infernus

"Nolan's best work and it isn't really  close. I doubt he will ever manage to create anything more masterful than Memento. Just an extraordinary movie that you will remember for a long time.

The structure of the movie is phenomenal." - @FantasticBeasts

Commentary: Despite the speculation otherwise, due to MrPink's absent list, Christopher Nolan is still going strong on this list, as Memento picks up and does slightly better than it did two years ago.  Memento has all of the elements of what you'd expect a Nolan to have, the dead wife/girlfriend, the exposition, the high concept, and it manages to take these elements and blend them to be stronger than many of his other movies.  Memento was the film that really put Nolan on the map, and the film that likely got him the job to direct Batman Begins and then the all-to-famous The Dark Knight.  Memento made it onto the list mostly through quantity of votes, as it averaged a 2.4 per voter, but managed to be on 34% of the lists that were submitted (the most of any movie so far).

Decade Count: 10s (8), '00s (6), 80s (5), 90s (5), 70s (2), 40s (2), 60s (2), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Alfred Hitchcock (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), John McTiernan (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (3), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1)

Genre Count: Thriller (10), Drama (9), Sci-Fi (7), Action (6), Crime/Noir (6), Adventure (5), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Comedy (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Period Piece (3), Horror (3), Family/Children (2), Musical (2), Romance (2), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), War (2), Animation (1), Bio-Pic (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1)

tumblr_ny8g18EXvO1uezuqso3_1280.png

• Like 19
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

Blade Runner is a bit dull but still fairly unique and an interesting world like Jake Gittes said. Blade Runner 2049 is one of the worst films I've ever seen but I'm sure it will show up soon.

On 5/12/2018 at 2:53 AM, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Here's the running list with the write up linked to each name!

70.                        Memento

71.                        Get Out

72.                        Fargo

73.                        Psycho

74.                        Inglourious Basterds

75.                        Heat

76.                        Footloose Captain America: The Winter Soldier

77.                        Logan

78.                        La La Land

79.                        Do the Right Thing

80.                        Predator

81.                        The Departed

82.                        It's a Wonderful Life

83.                        Citizen Kane

84.                        Before Sunrise

85.                        The Princess Bride

86.                        Unforgiven

87.                        Lawrence of Arabia

88.                        Avatar

89.                        Blade Runner

90.                        Chinatown

91.                        Good Will Hunting

92.                        Gravity

93.                        Singin' in the Rain

94.                        Monty Python and the Holy Grail

95.                        There Will Be Blood

96.                        Star Wars: The Last Jedi

97.                        City of God

98.                        Boyhood

99.                        Grave of the Fireflies

100.                      Life of Pi

I went ahead and added links to all of the write-ups in the main thread post on the first page for easier access!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

The only Nolan films worthy of a spot here are TDK and Inception, imo.  

I really like Inception, but as far as the concept of manipulating reality and dreams go, i think the movie that inspired Nolan (Paprika, 2006) is better.

• Like 1

Memento and the Dark Knight are probably the two most likely Nolan films to show up on a given top 100 list among fan sites and critics lists. One for its intricate and well executed structure, the other for its pop culture classic status on impact. Of course, Inception is guaranteed on this list as well as TDK. I wouldn't say the others are, though I don't remember Prestige and Batman Begins placed in previous lists.

I'm glad this movie bounced up though from last list.

Edited by MrWhite
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1