The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

22 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I don't like musicals...

I guess the only one I loved was La La Land.

The Sound of Music is one of the movies that I recognise their value but I know they are not for me.

So you only like musicals where people can't sing or dance.  Gotcha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

Terminator is certainly a sequence of actors on film with special effects to form a narrative. I have nothing else remotely positive to say about it.

Random cat probably watches Marvel and Disney Star Wars by the way! (irony)

T1 is such a great film and such an historic landmark in film-making. Jim's first film.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

the-terminator-557f43feba546.jpg.2b3f188

Number 68

The Terminator (1984)

Orion Pictures, Directed by James Cameron (53 Points, 14 Votes)

The-Terminator-Reg-e1491377855206.png

"I'll be back."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 25 Placements: 5

Previous Rankings: 2016 (81, +13), 2014 (83, +15), 2013 (91, +23), 2012 (28, -40)

Awards Count: Won the 3 Saturn Awards

Tomatometer: 100% (8.8 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 38.4m (104m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A seemingly indestructible Android is sent from 2029 to 1984 to assassinate a waitress, whose unborn son will lead humanity in a war against the machines, while a soldier from that war is sent to protect her at all cost

Critic Opinion: "Why anyone would invent a robot with an accent as thick as Black Forest cake is never explained, but that's the kind of goofy incongruity you look forward to in movies like "The Terminator." And the movie gets a lot of mileage out of gun love -- this will have no part of what Mickey Spillane calls "sissy .38s." Instead, he rampages around the City of Angels with a nine-millimeter Uzi in one hand and a 12-gauge autoloader in the other, adding a .45 long-slide with laser sight to provide a note of delicacy.

Cameron began his career as a special-effects expert with the ebulliently exploitative New World Pictures; Hurd started out with Roger Corman. These origins explain the high garbagey style of "The Terminator," the way it gleefully pillages everything from "The Forbin Project" to "Escape from the Planet of the Apes," everyone from John Carpenter to Luis Bun uel. Cameron throws in every effect in the director's manual, and the movie is noisy with car chases, shattering glass, shotgun blasts and explosions, all shot in lustrous, strobe-lit gun-metal blues." - Paul Attanasio

User Opinion: "T1 is one of my Top 10 favorite movies of all time. It's got that awesome '80s vibe, it's got heart, the script is tight as hell (no fat whatsoever), the direction and editing are faultless (perfectly paced and tension-filled throughout), memorable moments abound, one of the greatest villains of all time, and the greatest Arnold one-liner of all time." - @The Stingray

"Rewatched this in preparation for seeing T2 in 3D.  It's a fantastic movie that amazingly still holds up more than 30 years later." - @That One Guy

Commentary: We finally have another repeat director, with James Cameron coming in at number 68 with his classic film 'The Terminator'.  Surprisingly, the first Terminator movie wasn't as big of a box office smash as the second one, and in many ways T1 is always living in the shadows of its sequel.  It's my personal favorite of the franchise, as the movie has a clear concept, a fun pulpy twist, and quite an intimidating villain that feels exactly like the unkillable machine he's supposed to be.  The movie scored an average of 3.7 points for each of the users who voted for it and it is seen on 23% of the lists that were submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (8), '00s (6), 80s (6), 90s (5), 60s (3), 70s (2), 40s (2), 50s (1)

Director Count: James Cameron (2), Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Alfred Hitchcock (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), John McTiernan (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Robert Wise (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (4), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1)

Genre Count: Thriller (11), Drama (10), Sci-Fi (8), Action (7), Crime/Noir (6), Adventure (5), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Comedy (4), Period Piece (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Horror (3), Family/Children (3), Musical (3), Romance (3), War (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1)

vlcsnap-2012-03-15-20h59m01s15.png

I don't remember if this was on my list (I'd have to check the old thread, and I'm lazy), but this totally deserves it as the absolute horror movie of the 80's:).  My dad got this one on video a few years after it came out and let his little kids (including a 6 year old, like me) watch it with him.  I will never forget the nightmares I got of this movie with a Terminator and Ernie from Sesame Street jumping out of a microwave to attack me.  (Only a little kid could combo those properties together:)...

It was literally 1 of only 2 movies to ever give me nightmares in my life, and I saw a lot of crazy 70's/80's/90's sci-fi as a youngin thanks to the trusty old VHS and my dad's inability to sneak off to movie theaters on his own when he had so many little kids:)...for those asking, Total Recall was the other nightmare inducing movie (yes, 2 Arnie movies, but did you see his face in that movie?:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

So you only like musicals where people can't sing or dance.  Gotcha.

Not sure why it's so hard to grasp that musicals are movies first and foremost and not showcases for actors singing and dancing talents. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

OMG - IT FINALLY MADE IT.... after stanning for it the last few years so glad to see Maria finally debut on this list....

One of the few films that I had growing up - wore out 2 copies of the double cassette tape from 1989 and somewhere still have the 1997 VHS release. One of the few films that I have multiple DVD/Bluray editions of as well.

Shame I didn't get my list in cause it would have ended up higher - top 5 for me.

Terminator is great as well and yes T1 is better than T2

• Like 2

Just now, Goffe said:

Not sure why it's so hard to grasp that musicals are movies first and foremost and not showcases for actors singing and dancing talents. 

Because for a long time they tried to be both (rare exceptions of course such as My Fair Lady)

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Random cat probably watches Marvel and Disney Star Wars by the way! (irony)

T1 is such a great film and such an historic landmark in film-making. Jim's first film.

Terminator is certainly a film. Yes. (And here I thought Xenogenesis was his first film)

I shall allay your suspicions, it's no probably, I have watched those movies. And I'm perfectly fine saying I've enjoyed them more than Terminator. Tastes are like that some times.

T1 was #16 on my list. It is an excellent film. Its enduring popularity is partly due to its massive success in the nascent home video market at the time. VCRs were becoming standard household items at the time and video rental stores were opening across the land. People wanted to watch films at home on their new VCRs, especially action and sci fi films. As such, T1 benefitted massively from its positive theatrical WOM and became a home video smash. T2 as we know it probably would not have been made were it not for T1’s home video success.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Stingray said:

It's hilarious that you say this without even the slightest hint of irony.

There was irony as the MCU is so dominant in terms of critical and audience appeal and love, of course, there is no need to rub it in peoples faces. 

But there are some out there who think they are silly films and there is truth to that but the Winter Solider is the exception as it is a very mature, complex comic book film with a lot of great themes that are relevant to our current world.

I still remember Nick Fury's epic Line "S.H.I.E.L.D. takes the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be"

I think that is quite a relevant line about how we shape our worldviews and politics individually.

:)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I've never seen this one, but if this one is on here, I'll mentally prepare myself to see T2 further up on the list.

T1 is best seen if you have not seen any of the four subsequent films or the television series. It is much like that the Alien series in that the first film seems like a lesser or sub-par film if you have seen any of its successors. 

As for T2, it features perhaps the most dramatic character transformation in cinematic history - and I’m not talking about the Terminator model upgrade. Sarah Connor is a mousy, doe-eyed, innocent, helpless and oblivious victim in T1. When the second film arrives, she is a stressed-out, paranoid, battle-ready warrior living with the weight of the world on her shoulders. To this day she remains the ultimate cinematic female bad ass. Katniss has nothing on Sarah.

• Like 5