The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

12 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

SOMbanner3.jpg

Number 69

The Sound of Music (1965)

20th Century Fox, Directed by Robert Wise (53 Points, 11 Votes)

115480429_1300x1733.jpg

"Only grown-up men are scared of women."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 6

Previous Rankings: 2016 (Unranked), 2014 (Unranked), 2013 (Unranked), 2012 (Unranked)

Awards Count: Won 5 Oscars, including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 86% (8.0 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 158.7m (1.3B DOM, or More than Star Wars, Infinity War, Avatar and Titanic)

Synopsis: A woman leaves an Austrian convent to become a governess to the children of a Naval officer widower.

Critic Opinion: "Robert Wise has transformed the delightful Rodgers and Hammerstein musical stage production of "The Sound of Music" into a magical film in which Julie Andrews gives an endearing performance in the role of Maria, the governess. Caretaker to the young seems to be Julie's metier, as she has been nominated for an Academy Award for her performance last year in Disney's production of "Mary Poppins," P.L. Travers' enchanting nanny.

"The Sound of Music," which Wise produced and directed for 20th Century-Fox, had its initial New York showing at the Rivoli Theatre last night. Filmed in Todd-AO and Deluxe color, it opens on a breath-taking panoramic view of the mountains surrounding the beautiful and ancient city of Salzburg, where the picture was shot in its entirety. It then pans to a shot of Maria singing a panegyric to her beloved mountains." - Kate Cameron

User Opinion: "Funnily enough, The Sound of Music only came to be due to a German movie about the story. It was a giant success, with an estimated 27m admisions in Germany, equal to the modern day record of Jungle Book, though back then the movie-going numbers were quite different so the comparison doesn't quite work. It also did decently in France (2.85m admissions) and was also released in the US. As was the sequel, which wasn't anywhere near as successful but still did quite well.

That's when some americans bought the rights to turn the story into a broadway-play and later a movie. The movie ended up as no.1 alltime in the US, UK and 28 other countries, but saw less admissions than the German original in France (2.2m compared to 2.85m) and was a colossal flop in Germany itself, even though that's where the original came from. It only saw an estimated 80k admissions and made less money for the studio than the costs for the copies were." - @George Parr

Commentary: I couldn't find any actual user opinions on The Sound of Music, so I guess I'll have to be the one to rave about it here.  The Sound of Music is a grand musical spectacle with some of the most memorable music ever put to screen.  Julie Andrews is absolutely phenomenal as the title character for the show, and I really feel like the opening scene truly encapsulates how wonderful she was as Maria.  The movie is gorgeous to watch, there's so many fun numbers throughout, and then the end hits you with some real emotional punch.  It's no wonder this managed to be the highest grossing movie of all time for a period of time, and that its adjusted gross is so high.  The film received quite a bit of passion votes from out users as it averaged a score of 4.8 from each user who voted for it, and it was on 18% of the lists submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (8), '00s (6), 80s (5), 90s (5), 60s (3), 70s (2), 40s (2), 50s (1)

Director Count: Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Alfred Hitchcock (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), John McTiernan (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Robert Wise (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (4), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1)

Genre Count: Drama (10), Thriller (10), Sci-Fi (7), Action (6), Crime/Noir (6), Adventure (5), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Comedy (4), Period Piece (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Horror (3), Family/Children (3), Musical (3), Romance (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), War (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1)

sound-of-music-maria-von-trapp-captain-g

How the heck was this unranked for every last poll?  Damn, you all are lucky I arrived to pop this one into the list:)...

• Like 4

I'm at work, I so I don't have time to fully engage.  Gonna just swing by with:

This is the most underrated song in the movie.

GOOD JOB, TEAM.  Excellent Pick.

• Like 4

I’m disappointed with the Sound of Music haters

It’s my 11th favorite of all-time (prior to TLJ, that could potentially movie up close, but I want to give it more time)

Edited by Critically Acclaimed Panda
  • Like 2

Just now, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

I don't hate it. Just...not motivated to watch it. I'll probably love it if I ever get around to it. Truth be told.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I'm at work, I so I don't have time to fully engage.  Gonna just swing by with:

This is the most underrated song in the movie.

GOOD JOB, TEAM.  Excellent Pick.

My dad used to sing my mom Edelweiss...it's near and dear to my heart just for that reason (it helped that my dad could stay on key for that one:)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

26 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

It’s my 11th favorite of all-time (prior to TLJ, that could potentially movie up close, but I want to give it more time)

It was close runner-up on my list. The Sound of Music is fantastic. Me and my family used to watch it every year. A Few of My Favorite Things still remains one of my favorite songs from a musical. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

I don't think I've ever seen Sound of Music from beginning to end.  But I've seen enough of it that I do like it.   Won't ever be on this list for me.  

And the fact that it adjusts to 1.6 billion is astounding.

the-terminator-557f43feba546.jpg.2b3f188

Number 68

The Terminator (1984)

Orion Pictures, Directed by James Cameron (53 Points, 14 Votes)

The-Terminator-Reg-e1491377855206.png

"I'll be back."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 25 Placements: 5

Previous Rankings: 2016 (81, +13), 2014 (83, +15), 2013 (91, +23), 2012 (28, -40)

Awards Count: Won the 3 Saturn Awards

Tomatometer: 100% (8.8 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 38.4m (104m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A seemingly indestructible Android is sent from 2029 to 1984 to assassinate a waitress, whose unborn son will lead humanity in a war against the machines, while a soldier from that war is sent to protect her at all cost

Critic Opinion: "Why anyone would invent a robot with an accent as thick as Black Forest cake is never explained, but that's the kind of goofy incongruity you look forward to in movies like "The Terminator." And the movie gets a lot of mileage out of gun love -- this will have no part of what Mickey Spillane calls "sissy .38s." Instead, he rampages around the City of Angels with a nine-millimeter Uzi in one hand and a 12-gauge autoloader in the other, adding a .45 long-slide with laser sight to provide a note of delicacy.

Cameron began his career as a special-effects expert with the ebulliently exploitative New World Pictures; Hurd started out with Roger Corman. These origins explain the high garbagey style of "The Terminator," the way it gleefully pillages everything from "The Forbin Project" to "Escape from the Planet of the Apes," everyone from John Carpenter to Luis Bun uel. Cameron throws in every effect in the director's manual, and the movie is noisy with car chases, shattering glass, shotgun blasts and explosions, all shot in lustrous, strobe-lit gun-metal blues." - Paul Attanasio

User Opinion: "T1 is one of my Top 10 favorite movies of all time. It's got that awesome '80s vibe, it's got heart, the script is tight as hell (no fat whatsoever), the direction and editing are faultless (perfectly paced and tension-filled throughout), memorable moments abound, one of the greatest villains of all time, and the greatest Arnold one-liner of all time." - @The Stingray

"Rewatched this in preparation for seeing T2 in 3D.  It's a fantastic movie that amazingly still holds up more than 30 years later." - @That One Guy

Commentary: We finally have another repeat director, with James Cameron coming in at number 68 with his classic film 'The Terminator'.  Surprisingly, the first Terminator movie wasn't as big of a box office smash as the second one, and in many ways T1 is always living in the shadows of its sequel.  It's my personal favorite of the franchise, as the movie has a clear concept, a fun pulpy twist, and quite an intimidating villain that feels exactly like the unkillable machine he's supposed to be.  The movie scored an average of 3.7 points for each of the users who voted for it and it is seen on 23% of the lists that were submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (8), '00s (6), 80s (6), 90s (5), 60s (3), 70s (2), 40s (2), 50s (1)

Director Count: James Cameron (2), Richard Linklater (2), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Alfred Hitchcock (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), John McTiernan (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Martin Scorsese (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Robert Wise (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (4), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1)

Genre Count: Thriller (11), Drama (10), Sci-Fi (8), Action (7), Crime/Noir (6), Adventure (5), Epic (4), Fantasy (4), Comedy (4), Period Piece (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Horror (3), Family/Children (3), Musical (3), Romance (3), War (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (1), Christmas (1), Remake (1)

vlcsnap-2012-03-15-20h59m01s15.png

• Like 23
  • Sad 1