The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

Put on your Sunday clothes!

Wall-e-banner.jpg

Number 62

Wall-E (2009)

Disney-Pixar Studios, Directed by Andrew Stanton (56 Points, 20 Votes)

tumblr_lj0vpg3qc51qe2w1uo1_500.jpg

"Eeeeev... aah."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 2

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (31, -31), 2014 (20, -42), 2013 (19, -43), 2012 (47, -15)

Awards Count: Won 1 Oscar

Tomatometer: 96% (8.6 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 223.8m (285.5m Adjusted)

Synopsis: In the distant future, a small waste-collecting robot inadvertently embarks on a space journey that will ultimately decide the fate of mankind.

Critic Opinion: "Watching Pixar’s animated film “wall-e” must be a humbling experience for other filmmakers, because it demonstrates not just the number but the variety of ideas you need to make a terrific movie. “wall-e,” which was directed by Andrew Stanton and written by Stanton and John Reardon, has the waggish adorableness and the tripping-and-falling roughhouse of other animated films. But it’s also a work of tragic nostalgia. In the ruins of a great American city, wall-e, a robotic trash collector and compactor, continues to go about his duties after the human presence has been blown away by billowing waves of noxious dust....

“Wall-e” blends two kinds of science fiction—the post-apocalyptic disaster scenario and the dystopian fantasy derived from Aldous Huxley’s “Brave New World,” in which people are controlled not by coercion but by pleasure. Apparently, the movie has caused annoyance in some quarters because it criticizes the American way of life. This it does, and with suavity and supreme good humor. “wall-e” is a classic, but it will never appeal to people who are happy with art only when it has as little bite as possible." - David Denby

User Opinion: "A masterpiece. I'm still expecting a Pixar movie wins the Best Picture Oscar" - @peludo

"My first viewing of WALL-E was on a teeny production monitor, crappy low-quality resolution, unfinished animation in places, and temp music in spots. It still moved me to tears.

The first half is absolutely amazing and I'd put it up there with the very best science-fiction films ever. It's just a masterpiece of concise, visually-driven storytelling. The second half is a bit more pedestrian and conventional, but still wildly entertaining. And then, of course, the ending is an emotional knock-out, just perfectly executed." - @Telemachos raving about a Disney tune

Commentary: Wall-E is the first Pixar film to make our list, and it's rather clear why.  The movie works wonders emotionally, keeping you engaged in an animated robot for first half of the film, it's incredible how they made such a general audience pleaser out of such a politically driven and quiet film (at least for the first half).  The movie is as emotionally resonant as any of Pixar's great movies, and it manages to fit in some dystopian critique of the American life on the way, which makes it even crazier how American audiences bought so much into a movie designed to poke holes into the American system.  Wall-E appeared on 33% of the lists that were submitted, showing that it had more broad appeal than most of the films on the list so far.

Decade Count: 10s (9), 80s (7), '00s (7), 90s (6), 60s (3), 70s (3), 40s (2), 50s (2)

Director Count: James Cameron (2), Alfred Hitchcock (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (4), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Pixar (1)

Genre Count: Drama (13), Thriller (12), Sci-Fi (11), Action (8), VFX Driven (8), Crime/Noir (7), Adventure (7), Fantasy (6), Comedy (6), Family/Children (5), Epic (5), Romance (5), Period Piece (4), Horror (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Musical (3), War (3), Christmas (3), Indie (3), Sequel (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (2), Foreign Language (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (1), Melodrama (1)

352407221afb776e3143e8a1a0577885.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 2

29 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Why do you have to ruin a nice write up about of the most well liked blockbuster of the modern age and put in a plug for TLJ saying it is on the same level.

That may be your subjective opinion but it is pretty much an objective fact the two films could not be more different in overall reception.

I put that plug in just to get a reaction like that.  Looks like it worked!

Spoiler

And both of the movies made the top 100!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

We'll get to end the night with one more record smashing movie, which one could that possibly be?

Twilight eclipse?

Ugh, Wall-E.... should have realized. Thank goodness it is finally making it's way down the list.

Wall-e's love when it is bookended by two far superior films astounds me - Yes, I get the whole "no speaking for the first half" but when you consider the legs of most animated films in the '00s I remember all the melting downs about Wall-e not holding better and missing the 4x, I mean the freaking Rat film got more than a 4x and Up the next Year did as well, and nearly made it to 300m....

I just watched Taxi Driver for the first time last week.  Good flick.

I haven’t see. Wall-E in awhile but I’m a Pixar Loonie so I probably think it’s great

• Like 2

2c8cabf6-237e-3338-16d2-e69745f3be45-ban

Number 61

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (2011)

Warner Brothers, Directed by David Yates (57 Points, 12 Votes)

harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows_pos

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living and above all, those who live without love."

Top 10 Placements: 3

Top 25 Placements: 6

Previous Rankings: 2016 (97, +36), 2014 (66, +5), 2013 (84, +23), 2012 (Unranked)
Awards Count: Nominated for 3 Oscars

Tomatometer: 96% (8.3 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 381m (439.6m Adjusted)

Synopsis: Harry, Ron, and Hermione search for Voldemort's remaining Horcruxes in their effort to destroy the Dark Lord as the final battle rages on at Hogwarts.

Critic Opinion: "If the Potter franchise had been cooked up in a studio pitch meeting with storyboards and visual-effects demos, it could never have become the generation-defining phenomenon that it is. It captured the imagination of an era like no cultural event since Beatlemania because it stands on a solid million-word foundation created by J.K. Rowling. She put story and character front and center, and when they're succeeding, the Potter films do, too.

For all the movies' dazzle and flash and Hippogriffs, the characters are more vivid than the special effects. It is our emotional involvement with the three-dimensional heroes and villains, sidekicks and background players that draws us back time after time. The final chapter ends with an epilogue that puts a lump in your throat and makes you want to watch them all again from the beginning. That's the definition of a classic." - Colin Covert

User Opinion: "One of my favorite films ever. I'm a Harry Potter nut until the end, but that doesn't mean I love all the movies in the series. I don't. DH1/DH2 are easily my favorite in the series without a single doubt in my mind. Although DH1 was slightly less flawed, DH2 is a bit better for me - if only for its exhilarating action sequences and the forest scene with Harry and the ghost of his loved ones. Score was utterly incredible. For me, this film got better on repeat viewings. I could notice a lot more little details. Cinematography is spectacular! Every single second of the boathouse was stunning to look at. I do have qualms with the film, though. I wish they had included a couple of scenes of Snape/Lily as teenagers, but that's minor. The very last scene before the epilogue was, in my opinion, a beautiful way to close the film. Just the three of them on the bridge was so poignant.Best film of the year for me.Rankings of the Potter films:1. DH22. DH13. PoA4. HBP5. SS6. OoTP7. CoS8. GoF" - @Noctis

"Tied with PoA as the best Potter film." - @Water Bottle

Commentary: Harry Potter makes it onto the list, and it is now ranked higher than it ever was before, imagine that!  I haven't loved all of the Harry Potter movies, despite having fond memories of breezing through all of the books growing up, but I've always liked them, while loving the entire franchise.  Deathly Hallows Part 2 is the culmination of 6 and a half journeys in the Wizarding World preceding it, and it pays off in spades.  It was a franchise of many good movies, and Deathly Hallows ends the franchise with a grand and great one.  From the 12 users who placed this movie on their lists, it averaged a score of 4.75, indicating they were placing it close to their 25 mark.

Decade Count: 10s (10), 80s (7), '00s (7), 90s (6), 60s (3), 70s (3), 40s (2), 50s (2)

Director Count: James Cameron (2), Alfred Hitchcock (2), Richard Linklater (2), John McTiernan (2), Martin Scorsese (2), J.J. Abrams (1), Paul Thomas Anderson (1), Frank Capra (1), Damien Chazelle (1), Joel and Ethan Coen (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1), Clint Eastwood (1), Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Spike Lee (1), Katia Lund (1), James Mangold (1), Michael Mann (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Christopher Nolan (1), Jordan Peele (1), Roman Polanski (1), Rob Reiner (1), Russo Brothers (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Andrew Stanton (1), Isao Takahata (1), Quentin Tarantino (1), Orson Welles (1), Peter Weir (1), Robert Wise (1), David Yates (1)

Franchise Count: Best Picture Winner (4), Star Wars (2), James Cameron (2), Marvel (2), 'Before' (1), Blade Runner (1), Monty Python (1), Studio Ghibli (1), Alien and Predator (1), X-Men (1), MCU (1), Captain America (1), Terminator (1), Die Hard (1), Pixar (1), Harry Potter (1)

Genre Count: Drama (13), Thriller (12), Sci-Fi (11), VFX Driven (9), Action (8), Adventure (8), Crime/Noir (7), Fantasy (7), Comedy (6), Epic (6), Family/Children (5), Romance (5), Period Piece (4), Horror (4), Sequel (4), Western (3), Tragedy (3), Musical (3), War (3), Christmas (3), Indie (3), Superhero (2), Comic Book (2), Bio-Pic (2), Animation (2), Foreign Language (2), Spy/Detective (2), Satire (2), Remake (1), Melodrama (1)

1a6959ebd72e3f09c17487baa86ae30a.jpg

• Like 10
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 2

Here are 10 more just misses!

186. City Lights

187. Modern Times

188. Brokeback Mountain

189. Apollo 13

190. Ex Machina

191. The Big Short

192. Gone Girl

193. The Grapes of Wrath

194. X-Men: Days of Future Past

195. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 2

9 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

186. City Lights

187. Modern Times

188. Brokeback Mountain

189. Apollo 13

190. Ex Machina

191. The Big Short

192. Gone Girl

193. The Grapes of Wrath

194. X-Men: Days of Future Past

195. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Big Short was on my list but not far from 100. Not terribly surprised. Gone Girl was also on my list, but I kinda expected that to be on here :jeb!: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

• Community Manager

I love the Harry Potter movies but are any of them really top 100 movies of all time material? Are the movies really better than Persona, The Tin Drum, or The 400 Blows? 

Then again this list is already full of really weird choices. I'm sorry but Captain America: The Winter Soldier is definitely not top 100 film material. It's not even top 500 material (even though the top 200 included Jurassic World. Seriously. I enjoy the movie to death but I think we can call it overrated now.) And this is coming from a huge MCU fan [none of the MCU movies should be on this list except for maybe the first Avengers movie and if so that should be pretty low on the list].

Why did you tag me Panda? *grumble grumble* now i sound like old @Telemachos

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

On 5/12/2018 at 2:53 AM, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Here's the running list with the write up linked to each name!

61.                        Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

62.                        Wall-E

63.                        Taxi Driver

64.                        Rear Window

65.                        Star Wars: The Force Awakens

66.                        The Truman Show

67.                        Die Hard

68.                        The Terminator

68.                        The Sound of Music

70.                        Memento

71.                        Get Out

72.                        Fargo

73.                        Psycho

74.                        Inglourious Basterds

75.                        Heat

76.                        Footloose Captain America: The Winter Soldier

77.                        Logan

78.                        La La Land

79.                        Do the Right Thing

80.                        Predator

81.                        The Departed

82.                        It's a Wonderful Life

83.                        Citizen Kane

84.                        Before Sunrise

85.                        The Princess Bride

86.                        Unforgiven

87.                        Lawrence of Arabia

88.                        Avatar

89.                        Blade Runner

90.                        Chinatown

91.                        Good Will Hunting

92.                        Gravity

93.                        Singin' in the Rain

94.                        Monty Python and the Holy Grail

95.                        There Will Be Blood

96.                        Star Wars: The Last Jedi

97.                        City of God

98.                        Boyhood

99.                        Grave of the Fireflies

100.                      Life of Pi

186.                      City Lights

187.                      Modern Times

188.                      Brokeback Mountain

189.                      Apollo 13

190.                      Ex Machina

191.                      The Big Short

192.                      Gone Girl

193.                      The Grapes of Wrath

194.                      X-Men: Days of Future Past

195.                      Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

196.                      Close Encounters of the Third Kind

197.                      The Wolf of Wall Street

198.                      Batman (1989)

199.                      Young Frankenstein

200.                      Reservoir Dogs

201.                      Texas Chainsaw Massacure

202.                      The Dark Knight Rises

203.                      Roman Holiday

204.                      Starship Troopers

205.                      Arsenic and the Old Lace

206.                      Leon: The Professional

207.                      Almost Famous

208.                      JFK

209.                      Mulholland Drive

210.                      The Exorcist

211.                      The Last of the Mohicans

212.                      Stand By Me

213.                      Scarface

214.                      The Searchers

215.                      Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest

216.                      (500) Days of Summer

217.                      Tremors

218.                      Big Fish

219.                      Jurassic World

220.                      Ocean’s Eleven

221.                      Office Space

222.                      Duck Soup

223.                      Slumdog Millionare

224.                      Raising Arizona

225.                      The Producers

226.                      American Psycho

227.                      Batman Returns

228.                      The Quiet Man

229.                      Skyfall

230.                      The Hunger Games

231.                      Independence Day

232.                      Zodiac

233.                      Paths of Glory

234.                      Perks of Being a Wallflower

235.                      The Royal Tenenbaums

236.                      The Great Escape

237.                      Wonder Woman

238.                      12 Years a Slave

239.                      Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

240.                      Hunt for the Wilderpeople

241.                      The LEGO Movie

242.                      The Jungle Book (1964)

243.                      Rashomon

244.                      Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

245.                      Das Boot

246.                      Prisoners

247.                      Dredd

248.                      Notorious

249.                      Men in Black

250.                      Kung Fu Panda

The running list so far!  (Top 100 has links to the write ups!)

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

186. City Lights

187. Modern Times

189. Apollo 13

193. The Grapes of Wrath

The BOT top 100 was a mistake. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2