The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

tenor.gif?itemid=4820731

Here are two write ups.  One made the list and is number 11.  The other missed the list and is number 101.  In the past, both movies have placed as high at #11.  Neither of these movies have ever missed the list before, until now. 

Number ???

Spoiler

The Matrix (1999)

Warner Brothers, Directed by The Wachowski Brothers (??? Points, ??? Votes)

flat,550x550,075,f.u9.jpg

"Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure."

Number 1 Placements: ?

Top 5 Placements: ?

Top 10 Placements: ?

Top 25 Placements: ?

Awards Count: Won 4 Oscars

Tomatometer: 87% (7.6 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 171.5m (309.2m Adjusted)

Synopsis: A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers.

Critic Opinion: "Absorbing when it isn't going a little overboard — like it does during a John Woo-like gun battle in a lobby — Matrix has several super kung fu sequences, including use of Hong Kong-style wirestunt work and what the Wachowskis have dubbed "bullet-time photography" or "Flow-Mo," an awesome physics-defying effect inspired by Japanese anime. 

Reeves is good as the somewhat fragile but adaptable hero. Fishburne is savvy casting as Neo's guide and protector, and Moss and Pantoliano also are impressive. But the big scene stealer is Weaving as the relentless opponent and embodiment of the Matrix's creators. His deadpan delivery and ultra-serious demeanor is chipped away with growing frustration, and the Australian contributes much of the film's nervous humor." - David Hunter

User Opinions: " It flows so well that it makes you feel like you are there experiencing what is happening. I don't think I will ever forget some of the fight scenes in this film. They are sheer brilliance.But mostly what is enjoyable about The Matrix is the questions that it asks and how it answers them. What is the Matrix? Well, well I'm not going to give it away. As I said it is one of the parts of the movie that will keep you intrigued and will astonish you at the same time. This is a very good film and it's visionary outbursts are worth the price of a rental alone. But it has a great story to it as well and that should be enough for anyone to want to see it."  - @baumer

"I have said about Transformers that I hate every part of it, for me, the Matrix is the anti-Transformers, I loved everything about it.

One of the best of all time" - @Tower

Commentary: The Matrix is a 1999 action sci-fi classic, filled with some of the most innovative action sequences we had seen on screen to date, it'd be a shame if it missed the list.

TheMatrix087-580x250.jpg

Number ???

Spoiler

The Avengers (2012)

Marvel Studios, Directed by Joss Whedon (??? Points, ??? Votes)

avengersbg1.jpg

"Puny God."

Number 1 Placements: ?

Top 5 Placements: ?

Top 10 Placements: ?

Top 25 Placements: ?

Awards Count: Nominated for 1 Oscar

Tomatometer: 92% (8.0 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 623.4m (704.2m Adjusted)

Synopsis: Earth's mightiest heroes must come together and learn to fight as a team if they are going to stop the mischievous Loki and his alien army from enslaving humanity.

Critic Opinion: "After four years, five previous films and countless hours of waiting, watching, getting teased and sorting through backstories, it's finally here: "Marvel's The Avengers," the mother of all big-budget comic adaptations and the stereoscopic supergroup of superhero movies.  As such, it has no right to be this good. A 3-D movie featuring not one, not two, but six brilliant and/or ludicrously muscled protagonists fighting to defend Planet Earth from a Nordic god in a snit has no right to be anything but confusing, ridiculous and generally devoid of simple human affect. And yet it's none of those things.

Instead, Joss Whedon's delicious ode to the Marvel universe boasts clarity, conviction and characters who live and breathe. There are moments of genuine pathos, genuine humor, genuine surprise. As much as the film adheres to the strictures of the standard comic-book movie, it also pops with a knowing, loving, Whedon-world jokiness that keeps everything barreling along." - Amy Biancolli

User Opinions: "One of the most fun and rewatchable blockbusters of all time. The humor, the action, the group dynamics, all the seamless introductions, the gloriously petty villain, coulson's death, nothing gets old in this movie despite the bajilion superhero movies that followed since. There's a weird alchemy going on here, everything fell in its right place in a way that's impossible to replicate. I'll never get bored of it. The avengers assemble 360 alone, is one of the most iconic shots of 21st century cinema."  - @Joel M

"I watched this again over the weekend and it is still as good now as it was last year. It's been about 10 months since I saw it and the humour is still as fresh as ever. I still laughed at Puny God, He's adopted, Hulk punching Thor and everything else. Still exhilirated by the Avengers fighting each other and still left breathless with the last 30 minutes. A near perfect film."  - @baumer

Commentary: The Avengers is the MCU movie that tested the cinematic universe waters, boldly crossing over 4 different franchises into one epic zeitgeist event, it'd be a shame if it missed.

xTZEbVW.jpg

tumblr_p7yeiksgLQ1v2lbnko2_1280.gif

Auteur Panda Will Return

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Auteur Panda said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4820731

Here are two write ups.  One made the list and is number 11.  The other missed the list and is number 101.  In the past, both movies have placed as high at #11.  Neither of these movies have ever missed the list before, until now. 

Number ???

Reveal hidden contents

Number ???

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_p7yeiksgLQ1v2lbnko2_1280.gif

Auteur Panda Will Return

I will bite - A is #11 and B is #101

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Inside Llewyn Davis was either realllly close to making the list or realllly far from making it. Both of these options annoy me greatly.

It was really far most likely. No Country had to have been right outside too :whosad: 

• Thanks 1

Both are great films but while one is a top 5 all time favourite for me the other is more like 200ish. I'll be really really disappointed if it's The Matrix that missed the list. The story, the visuals, the dialogue, the action, the costumes, the characters, the concept... Everything about that film is so good. Can never get bored of watching it. A special film that deserves special recognition.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Inside Llewyn Davis was either realllly close to making the list or realllly far from making it. Both of these options annoy me greatly.

Film I finally saw in December and I am still not sure if I liked it or not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Coens need to have something strong lined up for next year. The forum seems to have forgotten their power.

Buster Scruggs is meant to be out this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Go watch some Coens movies you heathens. We only have ONE on this stupid list so far.

Only one worthy of the list IMO....

Burn After Reading, True Grit & Hail Caesar are all better than NCFOM...  #hottake

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1