The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

106.                       The Thing
112.                       Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
113.                       Batman Begins
116.                       Raging Bull
117.                       Blazing Saddles

CDJUTa.gif

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

The Avengers is a really entertaining and funny summer blockbuster.

The Matrix is an important and influential milestone in cinema history.

The Avengers is a better movie.

It also had a wee bit of effect on the movie industry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 2

The Sixth Sense missing the top 100 makes me sad...c'mon, you all know that you were floored by the brilliance of that movie:)...and M Night deserves a spot...

And it's the Matrix over Avengers...I didn't even put Avengers on my list, but Matrix was in my top half...and I'm the supers fan:)...

EDIT: But next year, AIW may make my list (I want a rewatch to make sure my happiness with that movie is so deserved), so the Avengers may make a comeback in a future list:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 6

47 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The Avengers is a better movie.

It also had a wee bit of effect on the movie industry.

Um I am a huge MCU fan and think Matrix is better and had a massive effect on movies.

You know it took 10 years for Bollywood to stop using Matrix moves in action scenes! 

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Um I am a huge MCU fan and think Matrix is better and had a massive effect on movies.

You know it took 10 years for Bollywood to stop using Matrix moves in action scenes! 

Action is the only thing The Matrix has going for it and for me that's not enough.  Plot, dialogue & acting are sub par - and the big reveal at the end is so goofily  stupid it's actually laughable. (yeah I laughed in the theater)

I put neither in my top 100.  Avengers might make my top 200 but Matrix  wouldn't hit my top 2,000.

I kinda forgot to put Avengers on my list... Weirdest thing, I put all my favorite ones right away and left it and Winter Soldier for later and just sorta forgot about them, my bad. They should have made the lower half of my list.

Matrix was the 42th on mine though.

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Action is the only thing The Matrix has going for it and for me that's not enough.  Plot, dialogue & acting are sub par - and the big reveal at the end is so goofily  stupid it's actually laughable. (yeah I laughed in the theater)

I put neither in my top 100.  Avengers might make my top 200 but Matrix  wouldn't hit my top 2,000.

That's your opinion and I respect it but surely you understand how unpopular your opinion is, right? Pretty sure Matrix was more influential overall too.

They're both very good superhero movies though.

• Like 2

Just now, Arlborn said:

That's your opinion and I respect it but surely you understand how unpopular your opinion is, right? Pretty sure Matrix was more influential overall too.

They're both very good superhero movies though.

I fail to see why I should care that it's an unpopular opinion, it's my list. 

Citizen Kane is one of if not the most critically acclaimed films of all time.  Aside from the quality of the storytelling and performances the camera and lighting techniques by Gregg Toland were revolutionary and changed cinema.  Baumer hates it.   That's his prerogative though it says a lot about the cinematic tastes of this forum that I'm getting more blow back for not rating The Matrix:lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Imma compromise and say I think both movies should be on the list. The Matrix is iconic and beloved for plenty of reasons, but I honestly genuinely believe The Avengers is one of the best blockbusters of recent times. People tend to dismiss it because it's 'fun' and 'lighthearted' while ignoring both just how difficult that is to achieve and achieve so well. It did something that had never been done before in modern filmmaking and managed to make it work on almost every single level while telling a compelling story in its own right. And I respect that a hell of a lot more than something like Logan, with all its superficial angst and grittiness.

Then again, maybe I'm just a little bitter because the way Panda's set it up means that everyone's almost certainly going to whine and whinge about it if does get 11th and end up blaming it for the Matrix missing (while ignoring the 90 other movies in between the two.) So, you know, just like 2014 all over again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

It did something that had never been done before in modern filmmaking and managed to make it work on almost every single level while telling a compelling story in its own right. And I respect that a hell of a lot more than something like Logan, with all its superficial angst and grittiness.

That's the only point in this post that I agree with. Actually I will go farther and say that half of the phase 3 movies are better than logan.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Guys, these lists are fun and we all have different taste in film.  No need to get upset if one of your faves doesn't make it.  If MATRIX misses, that will suck imo, but it's just an arbitrary list from a bunch of film fans with different taste in film.

Full credit to @Auteur Panda for putting this together.  He's done an incredible job.

I will have an announcement after this is countdown is done.  We will be doing another one, one that we haven't done since......

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Guys, these lists are fun and we all have different taste in film.  No need to get upset if one of your faves doesn't make it.  If MATRIX misses, that will suck imo, but it's just an arbitrary list from a bunch of film fans with different taste in film.

Full credit to @Auteur Panda for putting this together.  He's done an incredible job.

I will have an announcement after this is countdown is done.  We will be doing another one, one that we haven't done since......

interesting developments

15 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

Imma compromise and say I think both movies should be on the list. The Matrix is iconic and beloved for plenty of reasons, but I honestly genuinely believe The Avengers is one of the best blockbusters of recent times. People tend to dismiss it because it's 'fun' and 'lighthearted' while ignoring both just how difficult that is to achieve and achieve so well. It did something that had never been done before in modern filmmaking and managed to make it work on almost every single level while telling a compelling story in its own right. And I respect that a hell of a lot more than something like Logan, with all its superficial angst and grittiness.

Then again, maybe I'm just a little bitter because the way Panda's set it up means that everyone's almost certainly going to whine and whinge about it if does get 11th and end up blaming it for the Matrix missing (while ignoring the 90 other movies in between the two.) So, you know, just like 2014 all over again.

Avengers is a TV Movie!

(film snob opinion that you only hear online)

I realize I still have to finish the THABOS and I will continue on with that once Panda has completed this one.  But the list I have in mind will take a while to compile and it will be very interactive and will require some thought from all the members who choose to participate.  

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

40 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I fail to see why I should care that it's an unpopular opinion, it's my list. 

Citizen Kane is one of if not the most critically acclaimed films of all time.  Aside from the quality of the storytelling and performances the camera and lighting techniques by Gregg Toland were revolutionary and changed cinema.  Baumer hates it.   That's his prerogative though it says a lot about the cinematic tastes of this forum that I'm getting more blow back for not rating The Matrix:lol:

What? There was no blow back from me, I even said I respected your opinion, I only asked if you understood how unpopular it was. Which I guess, from reading your somewhat defensive reply, you do.

The opinion of yours I would actually argue more against is calling Avengers more influential than Matrix. But I suppose they were(are) both very influential during their time so I guess that's okay too.

Edited by Arlborn