The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

5 hours ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Here are 10 more just misses!

186. City Lights

187. Modern Times

188. Brokeback Mountain

189. Apollo 13

190. Ex Machina

191. The Big Short

192. Gone Girl

193. The Grapes of Wrath

194. X-Men: Days of Future Past

195. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

So that means...that means people here think fucking AOTC is better than...than Starship Troopers...

:gold:

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

So that means...that means people here think fucking AOTC is better than...than Starship Troopers...

:gold:

I feel your pain. It was in my top 15.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

Don't know why people are going on about whether or not Marvel/Star Wars movies 'deserve' to be here. It's a subjective fucking list, deserve ain't got nothing to do with it.

Kind of ironic considering your meltdown at JCS's list.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Considering he's the kind of guy who throws out Descartes as his go to example of a 'philosopher', I'm not even sure he knows what irony is. :redcapes:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

On the contrary, I never gave the slightest shit about what he put on his list (and openly said so at the time). I was just annoyed on an intellectual level that people were being dumb enough to accept his obviously bullshit 'logical reasoning' as proof that he was being sincere. You and JCS can rank Avatar whether the fuck you like, I don't give a shit. The only reason I have to care is because the two of you won't shut the fuck up about it and derail almost every thread with your tired schtick.

20 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Considering he's the kind of guy who throws out Descartes as his go to example of a 'philosopher', I'm not even sure he knows what irony is. :redcapes:

Considering I was using 'Descartes' as an insult, I'd say your sense of irony ain't exactly too hot either.

• Like 3

If you rank the Star Wars films on a scale of lowest box office gross, it's perfectly reasonable to put AOTC as the best film ever.

Also does anyone know how the scores work? Can't find the original thread. How many points is #1, etc

45 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

How is that ironic, you absolute melt. In what world is Descartes not a famous philosopher? Because he's not as smart as James Cameron..? Not as smart as you? Or what?

Edited by Ranger Tree

35 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

On the contrary, I never gave the slightest shit about what he put on his list (and openly said so at the time). I was just annoyed on an intellectual level that people were being dumb enough to accept his obviously bullshit 'logical reasoning' as proof that he was being sincere. You and JCS can rank Avatar whether the fuck you like, I don't give a shit. The only reason I have to care is because the two of you won't shut the fuck up about it and derail almost every thread with your tired schtick.

Onepunchman_ok.jpg (you know the one I'm sure)

Just so you know it's not possible to derail the Fanboy thread with Avatar talk.

46 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

Considering I was using 'Descartes' as an insult, I'd say your sense of irony ain't exactly too hot either.

You misunderstanding logical positivism was an insult? I'm not sure I follow. 

25 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

How is that ironic, you absolute melt

I'm not sure what this is asking, could you clarify? 

26 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

In what world is Descartes not a famous philosopher?

Please point to the part of my post where I made this assertion. 

Unless you're making a joke about positivism vs the many worlds interpretation. In which case, the MWI only violates positivism if you accept that there is some meaning to the statement that the other worlds "exist", beyond the statement that quantum mechanics is exact. This is not what the MWI is about, it isn't about ontology, it's about the best framework within which to frame quantum mechanics and the map from quantum mechanics to experience. Although I'm going to take a wild guess and say that wasn't your intention, and that you simply misread my original remark. 

Happy to discuss both though. 

2 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

JCS I mean no offense by this but are you autistic?

I wouldn't take any offense to that question, and to my knowledge, no, although I am of a generation that didn't even know that autism existed. So, if I am indeed on the spectrum I have never been tested, and it has never impacted my career or personal life (at least negatively). 

May I ask a question in return? 

Do you have ADHD? You seem to lack the ability to respond to any of my original questions and simply jumped to another, now while it has been almost two decades since I last read through the DSM-IV, if my memory serves I think this might point to that diagnosis. 

• Haha 1

and I have no idea what the fuck logical positivism is or what multiple worlds means or how any of this has any relation to the thread. Ruk called you Descartes because you were justifying your idiotic top 100 list by using fancy words pretending to sound philosophical. the same as you could call someone Stephen Hawking if they were talking smart about some science stuff. Not sure what you're struggling with here.

Edited by Ranger Tree

2 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

Not sure what you're struggling with here.

I'm not struggling with anything. You made an assertion about my comments that was patently false. RD being famous has nothing to do with anything I said, yet you felt it legitimate. Again, I use Hanlon's razor in these situations, and your ignorance of the existence of logical positivism only makes me glad I do so. 

I don't seek to 'sound philosophical', but I was indeed making a philosophical point, namely around epistemology and how we judge/value aesthetic principles. 

I apologize if the way I type my responses causes you some confusion, but the onus is not on me to educate you on these matters. 

Anti-intellectualism and ADHD, now that's a potent mix. 

6 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

I love the Harry Potter movies but are any of them really top 100 movies of all time material? Are the movies really better than Persona, The Tin Drum, or The 400 Blows? 

I feel your pain but this would only really be a valid question if we knew that roughly the same amount of members here have seen Persona and The 400 Blows that have seen the Potter movies. Unfortunately that's obviously not the case. 99% of classics are at a disadvantage from the start here. 

• Like 7