ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

8 minutes ago, Menor said:

On the question about why the Eternals didn't fight Thanos, did they even know that Thanos was on the planet to be able to fight him? In IW it seemed like Thanos' arrival in Wakanda was quite sudden and the battle itself didn't last super long, not sure if word would have even gotten out. 

They have very specific orders, purpose and do very specific things. Lets say fighting Thanos or fighting Al Capone = same thing. Not their jurisdiction. 

Also, what Moore says such as this part: “We thought it would be more interesting to spend the time with characters who knew exactly who they were" is true for a time being (even if it's 7000 years long time being). Everything he talks about is what characters think for the most part of the movie. There are surprises that, I think, will create a lot of discussion. And by that I don't mean "why didn't they intervene when Villain #456 from movie #456 did _______?"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Zhao talk about Malick in every interview she can for years now, she simply loves him. In fact, Malick himself gave her some notes for Nomadland and encourage her, so what exactly is the problem to name dropping him now? 

Yes it's a Marvel movie, still she wasn't the first director to use a bunch of different projects to find inspiration for a superhero movie. It doesn't mean it will be visible on the final movie anyway. Beyond that, she never name dropping classic diretors and movies talking about Eternals without people asking, they ask her some movies and she answer, what is she supposed to do? Lie and say Eternals is inspired by Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings and The Dark Knight just because it looks to fits better with her actual movie? It's not really her problem if many MCU fans doesn't know the movies she took inspiration.

Idk, i feel the "joke" on film twitter is not exactly about what Zhao is saying because she always said it, but until last year she said this type of things talking about her indie movies so it's fine, now it's a Marvel movie so it becames a joke because apparently some groups still think mock Marvel = know better about cinema, which is laughable.

All her movies are cheap Malick imitations. And everytime a superhero director goes on about how "different" their film is because it's inspired by other films, how often is it even apparent on screen? Basically just Dark Knight, Joker (lol) and Reeve's Batman. Gunn spent months discussing how Suicide Squad  is the Dirty Dozen... which is not true.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

All her movies are cheap Malick imitations. And everytime a superhero director goes on about how "different" their film is because it's inspired by other films, how often is it even apparent on screen? Basically just Dark Knight, Joker (lol) and Reeve's Batman. Gunn spent months discussing how Suicide Squad  is the Dirty Dozen... which is not true.

LOL that property is basically "convicted/imprisoned crooks sent on suicidal mission" and doesn't that sum up DD? Gunn isn't wrong there. 

You do have a point about the "we're different!" spiel that's become a PR junket cliche for these things. Cynically speaking its a tactic many times to appeal to folks from the masses to the cinephiles that hey come to my movie if you decide to see a spandex film in theaters. 

21 hours ago, Valonqar said:

We did big Karen messaging last week when Cineplex was late with Dune advance tickets. Now they are on time with Eternals so I approve of Advance Ticket Karening. It gets results.  :stirthepot:

Yes, it does:

363D4E20-60C5-4780-877F-6BD8E94A3DD4.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Then i ask you, do you see many people mocking James Gunn for saying many times his inspiration? The problem here is not only being a superhero movie, but she's a woman director (and Chinese), it's an easy target to call her a sell out and complain about her references for a movie nobody saw yet.

I disagreed her movies is just Malick copycat, but that's irrelevant, the point is that he likes her, he helped her movie with ideas on post production, she talk about him for years but only now this is a problem. To me it's obvious that some people are fuming not exactly with what she said but because she decided to make a blockbuster and dare to say it's inspired by 2001 and The Godfather, which for film twitter so full of themselves is an absurd thing to say.

And to be honest, i read the leaked main plot for Eternals and if it's true i can see clearly why she named those movies. Probably it won't be visible on the screen (and honestly it shouldn't, you can be inspired by something without trying to recreate parts of it), but thematically there are similarities, how it will be developed and if it will be good is another thing, but the inspiration is there.

To me Joker for example is a bad way of being "clearly influenced by other movies", i liked the movie but it was desperate trying to be Scorsese and i'm sure it would benefit of having more of it's own personality. To me TSS connection with The Dirty Dozen without feel like it is a way better use of inspiration.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I did not know Reeve's Batman was already out.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Menor said:

On the question about why the Eternals didn't fight Thanos, did they even know that Thanos was on the planet to be able to fight him? In IW it seemed like Thanos' arrival in Wakanda was quite sudden and the battle itself didn't last super long, not sure if word would have even gotten out. 

From what I’ve read some of the characters are telepaths.

11 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Directors have inexplicable taste. Paul Thomas Anderson loves Ted

Nothing strange. True artists are really curious and open minded. All great rockers love pop music while rock listeners are like "ew pop music".

Being closed minded is something for fans and normal people not for real artists. 

If Tarantino's top 50 of the best movies of all time would be the same made by Sight and sound he would have been just a good craftsman copyng great thing already done not an innovator. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

So you’ve seen The Batman already?