CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The JL > Ragnarok + Coco club

Thank god I wasn't around for that mess :thinking:

I just remember his posts in the IW going over $300M thread and yea they were pretty tragic 

• Haha 1

Empire City knows a hell of whole lot more than I do but I'm always leery of those depressed opening day claims. Maybe because sites like Deadline overused that. Either way it is smart to just wait and see what the entire weekend holds. You can never go wrong by doing that.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mekanos said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but in the forum titled "Box Office Discussion," isn't it expected that people are going to talk primarily about box office? 

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I agree. I thought this forum was about discussing box office numbers?

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

If some people find the numbers disappointing that’s their choice. Don’t see why some are getting all offended 

To me it is the style if the wording that is HUGELY in question. Way over the top, way too drama. And way too often aggressive, demeaning others and so on.

I am not into predictopn as an example, I am into analysing the ww finals... without any drama.

To me it is interesting how strongly a bad translation, local movies, local other events and traditions (for the date), exchange rrates, politics (see China, where around 5% of the down votes for A:IW were about the economy §$%& of Trump was namend as the sole reason for the down-vote), weather (bad = too dangerous - good = outdoors) and many more details influences the outcome.

Tons to discuss, no need for hysterical outburst, ....

There are those that misuse their disappointment in stories, chosen directors and actors and so on, to ~ puke their frustration out onto the enjoyment of other for that franchise

Or are 'afraid' that another film surpasses their beloved movie on the charts, and get not only snobbish (like quality of film equals intelligence, maturity, and so on, no simple enjoyment for fun is allowed), but evenreally ugly/racist/anti-a-country or similar

And then there are members, that seem to pick up the highest / lowest estimate they found (not neccesarily done by a seasoned BO-fan) and run with that, spread it,... to probably get the hopes / expectations as high / low as possible, so they can later demean those who ~ commited to some unrealistic predictions, happening (edit: the 'victims' of that 'game') especially to newer members, younger members, and members that never leave the domestic BO sub-forum. In my POV those are the worst.

A discussion as I understand it, can be interesting, teaching/learning, an exchange,... in a fun way, all without any need to add negativity

(btw, it wouldn't hurt anyone, if some ppl would check how someone meant something before flipping out, words/terms often have regional differences in the ~ strength of emotions, or in a foreign language - like e.g. horrible or best (e.g. best means in an certain European country not best of quality in acting for a best actor discussion, but best in quality of the persons heart/character), to remember that English is for some here not even the 2nd language = also a reason some 'discussions' go ... unfriendly)

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 3

I've never made dumb predictions because most of my comments have little to do with actual numbers. Plus it's been scientifically proven that I'm always right even when I'm wrong.

and no my Teen Titans Go over Ninjago domestic is not dumb anyone who disagrees shall be put on ignore and have their picture on my bedroom wall as a reminder to never talk to them... :angry:

unless I need to or am bored

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun
  • ...wtf 1

8 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

True Lies too I think.

Who killed the R-Rated uber expensive blockbuster ?

:monopoly:

A bit could be world market shifting what uber expensive can be for movies that can play in China and everywhere ? At a certain time uber expensive was 100-150m, now that mid-budget affair with the uber expensive way above 300m.

Other factor could be how much money there is in the kids toys and other stuff market, that make it more logical to spend a lot on movies that give access to that ?

Final factor is how much adult now like movie that also appeal or even directly made for kids, you do not loose much audience with a pixar, marvel, star wars movie and you get to sell pyjamas to 6 year's old that loved them.

11 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

What's funny to me is how R movies are still seen as sort of risky. Remember when Terminator 2 had the biggest budget ever for a movie? 

Not sure what you mean by still ? It is an early/mid 2000 very new phenomenom, the Matrix were R not so long ago.

Before the early 2000 franchise push (X-men, spdierman, Potters, Lords of the Rings, Pirates, etc...) R rated movies were the biggest box office rating in term of market share:

https://www.the-numbers.com/market/mpaa-ratings

With a 40% market share, it is new they are seen as risky over a certain budget I think.

And it is comming back, audience being older and older and the big teenage group going to theater together era did dye down quite a bit, go family or you can go R now it seem like.

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

Rewatching this... I have the same first name as the creepy stalker Wade threatens at the beginning.

And the creepy older brother of the family in Get Out.

:whosad:

Foreshadowing  :ph34r:

• Astonished 1

36 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

EmpireCity did say Friday might have been depressed by graduations around the country.

These numbers don’t look very depressed to me (anymore :Venom:),. But hey, if Sat comes in with great jumps, all the better :) 

IW’s previous Fri:FSS multis:  

OW  — 3.25  

2nd — 3.65  

3rd — 3.88   

So, being quite optimistic perhaps we can have a 4.1 IM for a 30M weekend. Gets IW to 596, which is a OW: 4th wknd cume ratio of 2.31, vs:

2.78 for BP (insanity)  

2.475 for TA  

2.32 for GotG2

2.12 for AoU

2.11 for IM3  

2.08 for CW    

So, gotg2 continues to look like the best leg comp for me in terms of May MCU blockbusters. GotG made about 18.32M this week, vs 18.27M for IW, so again extremely close. GotG did 12M this upcoming schoolweek, which would take IW to 608. Then a 40% drop for Memorial 3-day is 18M for 626 cume, about 5M from holiday Monday for 631. About 2.5-3x the memorial 3-day is likely from there, for 676-685, with the option of kicking in another 5-8ish with a Labor Day reexpansion if they so desire.      

Tl;dr We seem to be narrowing in on a finish between Titanic and BP.   

It will all come down to the Ant-Man bump :sparta:

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

I preferred Deadpool 2 to Infinity War, I was more entertained.

My favourite worst box office prediction of all time from a box office website was The-Numbers predicting $15m opening weekend for Freddy Vs Jason and a $35m total. :lol: it opened to $36m. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2