CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Honestly, with slightly bigger numbers, I could see Solo being another Justice League

(a pretty good and entertaining movie that a lot of people hate anyways, does way worse at the box office than a movie of its franchise should have, went through a troubled production where a respected director was eventually brought in) 

They don’t share similar reviews.

6 minutes ago, YLF said:

So after this weekend how is it looking for AIW over BP DOM?

Literally not happening. It can’t possibly get another 100 million domestically.  Not with DP2 and Solo.  Black panther had no competition for weeks. 

Just now, GraceRandolph said:

Literally not happening. It can’t possibly get another 100 million domestically.  Not with DP2 and Solo.  Black panther had no competition for weeks. 

Thanks Grace. Btw, why did you switch to twitch? I aint paying to see your content.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ranger Tree said:

Excuse me but what the hell are you on about... "Using the drop from JP2"

What drop? JP2 opened way higher than the original and broke the OW record... Which by the way had been set by the first JP.

JP2 adjusts to 150M opening which was HUGE 20 years ago. And a lot higher than JP1's adjusted 110M. 

The overall domestic numbers...

• Like 1

Why does Kathleen Kennedy refuse to do ANYTHING the fans want? 

She botched this opening too. Why release the embargo the same week/close to DP embargo date?

The presales look terrible for solo

3 minutes ago, YLF said:

Thanks Grace. Btw, why did you switch to twitch? I aint paying to see your content.

You don't need to pay to have an account on Twitch and following someone is free. Its subscribing which contributes money to them.

5 minutes ago, YLF said:

So after this weekend how is it looking for AIW over BP DOM?

If the estimates hold up, AIW is 102.7M behind BP.  AIW probably has another four weeks in it.  BP will hold on until it hits 700M and then get pulled (so after MDW).  The biggest problem for AIW going forward is Thursday Previews/Friday.  One of our smaller theaters isn't doing Thursday evening showings for AIW in order to give Solo and DP2 the screens.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if they end up with like BP @ 702M > AIW @ 701M.

6 minutes ago, YLF said:

I’m not Grace. But probably because she’s broke. Those marvel coinz ain’t coming in no more. 

Edited by GraceRandolph

47 minutes ago, Nova said:

Imagine if every movie can make $363M domestic because of its marketing campaign 

:sparta:

LOL

Other films that, along DP, only made solid bank "because of its [fantastic] marketing campaign":

Black Panther

The Force Awakens

Wonder Woman

It

Infinity War

Thor: Ragnarok

Titanic

See, none of those film/properties/characters have/had any intrinsic appeal beyond their fantastic marketing.

In fact, their solid multipliers and all-around solid word of mouth was thanks to their marketing.

"OMG, I am watching _________ on its fourth/fifth/sixth weekend because I just discovered its trailer and ads; they were phenomenal and I gotta watch this!! Don't miss this film: it has fantastic ads"

:hahaha:

Edited by StevenG

Is BP even going to get 700 now? The drop this weekend was nasty, even considering home video release. It can't drop like that again or 700 won't happen, needs a 3.76x multi from this weekend. Really wish Disney could've waited a few more weeks. 

Edited by MovieMan89

32 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

DP2's decrease over the original actually makes me a little bit worried about WW2.It's a lighting doesn't strike twice thing.

Like no way in hell WW2 opens to less than 100M but maybe the jump won't be as big as we thought and it will ultimately finish with less than WW (which i realise is a very possible scenario even w/o DP underperformance.

That being said,i think audiences connected to a more personal level with WW and a WW film could more easily diviate from the original and people see it as its own thing (which i think didn't helP DP2.)

It’ll do better overseas and open bigger domestic by a wide shot. I still think it’s a legit billion dollar contender.

5 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I’m not Grace. But probably because she’s broke. Those marvel coinz ain’t coming in no more. 

I know I was joking lol

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Is BP even going to get 700 now? The drop this weekend was nasty, even considering home video release. It can't drop like that again or 700 won't happen, needs a 3.76x multi from this weekend. Really wish Disney could've waited a few more weeks. 

Whats worse is they’re apparently planning the Digital release for IW on July 31

9 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

You don't need to pay to have an account on Twitch and following someone is free. Its subscribing which contributes money to them.

Oh okay I didnt know that. I thought you had to pay to see any videos on there

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Whats worse is they’re apparently planning the Digital release for IW on July 31

I know, it's aggravating. 3 months after theatrical release for a juggernaut blockbuster is just stupid. And it's not even as though they didn't know it would be a juggernaut. 

Edited by MovieMan89

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It will. They'll come up with something. Plus, I need it to beat DH2 by more than just fucking $2m worldwide lol

Assuming 701 dom BP will have added 3.41x it's 4th weekend to the cume (40.8 weekend and added 139.3 more).

Same gives AIW 596 + 29.7*3.41 = 697.3 dom. Even used 29.7 weekend (696 cume) vs 28.7 (695 cume) thinking actuals will be higher.

I think BP will beat AIW by 10.

• Like 1