CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

6 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Because that's what it is... We aren't in 2005. As I said more than 20 movies have done more within a span of 2 years.

It did very well but it wasn't anything close to a cultural event or a huge breakout...

And if you remove the China market from them, how many is left ?

• Thanks 1

Probablly my only post of the day....

Look at other R rated films.  Take Logan for example.  97 million dollar budget (similar to DP2) and it made 226 million domestic and 620 WW.  And this was celebrated here as a huge success.

Look at Fury Road.  150 mill budget.  Domestic it did 154 million and WW 378.  Another film celebrated here. 

Then you have IT.  A teeny tiny budget of 35 million and a gross of 327 domestic. 

You can keep going.

Deadpool 2 is a huge success.  It's going to make 300 and probably do 750 WW. 

So the doom and gloom here is unfounded and unnecessary. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

It was certainly not a cultural event but to prevent the first one wasn't some huge breakout is asinine. Did you expect the first one to make $363M domestic and $420M WW? Most likely not. 

$420M WW is a great number for any movie over seas. Then take into account that the number doesn't have China and is rated R and I'm really not sure how that number is anything but great. 

Just because DP2 did not open to what the first did domestically doesn't mean we are going to go back and downplay just how well the first one did. 

My comment wasn't sth like an established fact. I am just having thoughts that could justify why we overestimated this one. As I said in my commentr (Maybe some of us overstated how big the first one was). So I include myself in those that found the first one's performance very impressive and possibly exaggerated a tad.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

Look at other R rated films.  Take Logan for example.  97 million dollar budget (similar to DP2) and it made 226 million domestic and 620 WW.  And this was celebrated here as a huge success.

Look at Fury Road.  150 mill budget.  Domestic it did 154 million and WW 378.  Another film celebrated here. 

Then you have IT.  A teeny tiny budget of 35 million and a gross of 327 domestic. 

You can keep going.

I mean... Fury Road was probably lucky to break even in its theatrical run, unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

My comment wasn't sth like an established fact. I am just having thoughts that could justify why we overestimated this one. As I said in my commentr (Maybe some of us maybe overstated how big the first one was). So I include myself iin those that found the first one's performance very impressive and possibly exaggerated a tad.

I think it being huge breakout overestimated what we thought it could do and you're correct in saying that. But just because the sequel didn't make what the original did doesn't mean that the first one didn't do great numbers.

If anything it just shows how well the first one did. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

I mean... Fury Road was probably lucky to break even in its theatrical run, unfortunately. 

Yes, but it's jerk off bathroom material at this place.  Just ask Tele.  :WHATanabe:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Really good opening for Deadpool 2. I'll confess to being just a little disappointed that it didn't open a bit closer to the first one, but $125 million is still huge for an R-rated sequel - especially a sequel to a film whose breakout was tied in so closely with its uniqueness in the superhero movie landscape. The size of the opening indicates that there were definitely many viewers willing to give the character's shtick another shot. Legs may be a shakier prospect with Solo launching next weekend, but $300 million domestic should be doable if it doesn't drop too hard next weekend and takes advantage of relatively light competition in the first couple weekends of June.

Avengers took a big hit against Deadpool, as expected. It still looks good for a domestic finish in the high-600s.

Book Club opened fairly well. I still think a PG-13 comedy about reading Fifty Shades of Grey sounds like an incredibly odd duck, but it clearly got through to its target demo. With such little competition aimed directly at adult women in the coming weeks, it should stick around for a while.

Life of the Party, (especially) Breaking In, and Overboard got walloped thanks to how greatly Mother's Day inflated their grosses last weekend.

Show Dogs debuted softly, as expected. Even with nothing else aimed directly at kids, everything about it looks way too cringey to drum up much business.

A Quiet Place is still putting up solid holds, and it will surpass frequent point-of-comparison Get Out today.

• Like 2

I don't think Deadpool 2's Sunday, if it is, will be overestimated by more than $1M or so. It's seeing an upswing on movietickets.com today, and even Alien: Covenant dropped only 26% on this same weekend. I definitely don't think it'll go into the $122-123M range that Deadline says rival studios are expecting.

• Like 1

Although my Deadpool club predicted a total that was far too low (250m) the fundamental reasons for it were sound. 

Too much competition, and lack of novelty prevented it from reaching the same numbers the first one did.

it really should have opened the first weekend of August and then it could have possibly matched the first one.  

Al in all it's a very impressive opening and it proves that the franchise is a real contender, but the r rating has definitely put a ceiling on this.

I hope Wonder Woman 2 can match the first films opening weekend or even increase. We’ll see. 

Both my most anticipated films of 2019 are sequels to $300m+ grossers.

:gold:

Ew. 

Edited by Krissykins

4 hours ago, langer said:

Deadpool beats Spider Man once again.  Crazy to think a D list superhero generates more revenue than A list combo movie of Spider Man and now A lister Iron Man.  

Maybe Sony should ask Warner Bros to borrow Batman in the next SM movie, maybe that'll help??

Spider-Man’s most recent movie is doing over 2 billion, so let’s not get carried away ;) 

4 hours ago, langer said:

Deadpool beats Spider Man once again.  Crazy to think a D list superhero generates more revenue than A list combo movie of Spider Man and now A lister Iron Man.  

Maybe Sony should ask Warner Bros to borrow Batman in the next SM movie, maybe that'll help??

In order to pass SM:HC DP2 needs 2.67 legs, assuming the 125mil number is correct. DP1 has 2.74 legs, seeing as this is a sequel and is already showing itself to be more front-loaded I don't see that happening.

36 minutes ago, baumer said:

You can keep going.

Exactly. The issue is that (some) Deadpool fans thought that he was on the same level as the MCU so they are disappointed that it’s not performing with those standards. 

47 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Take out China and DP made more than Fantastic Beasts. :sparta:

Remove China from WW’s box office, Deadpool did better.

(what point this proves I’m not sure but I wanted to get in on the stirring the pot action.)

• Like 1