CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

26 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Kevin fiege makes movies to build a fanbase and reward them for being on board for 10 years.

Feige makes movies to keep the fanbase watching indefinitely.

That's not a criticism: he's a bloody genius at it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hatebox said:

Feige makes movies to keep the fanbase watching indefinitely.

That's not a criticism: he's a bloody genius at it. 

It was not a critique it is praise and now with a solid base he can push movies mixed in with social issues like black panther and do so far more effectively. 

30 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

:sparta:And movies don't make 360+ even after 130+ ows at times.

26 Suicide Squad WB $133,682,248 41.1% 4,255 $31,418 $325,100,054 8/5/2016
27 Deadpool Fox $132,434,639 36.5% 3,558 $37,222 $363,070,709 2/12/2016

Lol this further proves my point. SS was like the most hated/panned movie of the year and it still made those numbers due to the amazing marketing camping. If we are going to use this logic then 325 million is a figure any movie can make with a top notch campaign. So at least 325 million can be attributed to deadpool for its marketing campaign. And that leaves us with 363-325 = 38 million. Now what you wanna credit those numbers to is up for disscussion. It can be anything from better release date to Ryan Reynolds star power or whatever your opinion may be.  

Also I don’t see why some of you are acting  like this is a bad thing. Its praise in its highest form. If anything other studios should LEARN and use this strategy. To many movies get lost in the sea of blockbusters.

5 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I agree that maybe some of us overestated how well the first one did. For an R Rated film of a C-list superheroe, it did great. But it's WW total is actually not more than "OK-to-good" for a blockbuster.

Sub-800 is only "okay?" It made more worldwide than any MCU movie at the time that didn't have Iron Man in a starring role (so basically just the Avengers movies and Iron Man 3).

Edited by Mekanos

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I agree that maybe some of us overestated how well the first one did. For an R Rated film of a C-list superheroe, it did great. But it's WW total is actually not more than "OK-to-good" for a blockbuster.

$783m on a $56m budget is more than okay! Even if it had double that, it would still been a huge hit.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

$783m on a $56m budget is more than okay! Even if it had double that, it would still been a huge hit.

I talked about the total as a number without taking anything else into account the budget included.

A 750m WW total is nothing to write home these days....

8 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

It didn't have the budget of a "blockbuster". According to Deadline, it made more profits than Civil War and Doctor Strange combined.

:Venom:

(And by the way, D2 is doing very well.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Since Deadpool 22 movies have done more...

Most if not all of those are sequels/based on established film properties though. Deadpool did incredible for a franchise starter. 

12 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

It did made $420M WW without china. Not sure how that's considered just "ok to good" for a blockbuster but okay. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

It did made $420M WW without china. Not sure how that's considered just "ok to good" for a blockbuster but okay. 

Because that's what it is... We aren't in 2005. As I said more than 20 movies have done more within a span of 2 years.

It did very well but it wasn't anything close to a cultural event or a huge breakout...

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It didn't have the budget of a "blockbuster". According to Deadline, it made more profits than Civil War and Doctor Strange combined.

:Venom:

(And by the way, D2 is doing very well.)

I never argued about profit I just said that the final total as a number without any other factor into account is not something outstanding.

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Because that's what it is... We aren't in 2005. As I said more than 20 movies have done more within a span of 2 years.

It did very well but it wasn't anything close to a cultural event or a huge breakout...

It was certainly not a cultural event but to pretend the first one wasn't some huge breakout is asinine. Did you expect the first one to make $363M domestic and $420M WW? Most likely not. Most people had it making $130M domestic period. 

$420M WW is a great number for any movie over seas. Then take into account that the number doesn't have China and is rated R and I'm really not sure how that number is anything but great. 

Just because DP2 did not open to what the first did domestically doesn't mean we are going to go back and downplay just how well the first one did. 

Edited by Nova