CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

I think the problem with Deadpool 2 is it did not grow its audience, according to the demos Deadline released. That audience came out hard for opening night. Now there’s no where else to go but down. Combine that with the heavy schedule of 25+ Male Demo films in June, I don’t see ending well for Deadpool 2.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Days of Future Past did $122m adjusted, Fast and Furious 6 $128m..given these SOLO shouldn't go under $130m 4-day.

It shouldn't, unless you're someone who thinks we're heading into a JL type situation.  I happen to think it will come under worst-case projections because I don't believe the audience demand is there, regardless of how past SW movies perform.  All movies in a series perform predictably, until they don't.

Edited by REC

Just now, captainwondyful said:

I think the problem with Deadpool 2 is it did not grow its audience, according to the demos Deadline released. That audience came out hard for opening night. Now there’s no where else to go but down. Combine that with the heavy schedule of 25+ Male Demo films in June, I don’t see ending well for Deadpool 2.

It really doesn't surprise me that it's looking like a portion of the first movie's audience (that likely checked it out due to curiosity) is staying away from this one. I like the Deadpool movies but they're definitely an acquired taste.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

I don’t know why people are freaking out?? I mean we’re talking about a movie which out opened 5 of 6 superhero movies from last year? Deadpool opening to 120-130 million is perfectly fine. Especially with a hard rated R.

I agree that the opening is fine but out opening 5 of the 6 superhero films isn't that impressive when you have little chance of outgrossing all but 2 of them. 

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I think you could be right.  I saw the movie last night, also saw DP1 on opening weekend.  I like the movies just fine, but I got this sorta sickening feeling after seeing it and after the numbers we're getting that this is the exact problem.  The audience is there, its established which is good.  But it's not growing, the first one may have maxed it out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It really doesn't surprise me that it's looking like a portion of the first movie's audience (that likely checked it out due to curiosity) is staying away from this one. I like the Deadpool movies but they're definitely an acquired taste.

Agreed. And to beat that dead horse again: the first Deadpool movie was a sleath rom-com that was wrapped up in a cape and served up on Valentine’s Day. 

This one plays waaaay more like a mundane action movie with a couple of genuine laughs buried under a heap of referenical “jokes”.

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Agreed. And to beat that dead horse again: the first Deadpool movie was a sleath rom-com that was wrapped up in a cape and served up on Valentine’s Day. 

This one plays waaaay more like a mundane action movie with a couple of genuine laughs buried under a heap of referenical “jokes”.

Without the heart of the love story, I wouldn't have liked Deadpool nearly as much.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

THAT'S A 50K PTA :ohmygod:

Up until recently, I wasn't the hugest fan of 2001, but becoming more mature as a film buff and realizing Kubrick's ambitions with the film made me not just respect it, but learn to honest to God really, really it. Well deserved result, for everything this film has made for cinema.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1