CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Between the cluster fuck that the Solo thread is going to be next weekend and DP2's disappointing weekend I'll probably be checking out until I see a film that interests me enough to want to follow its box office run. 

dp2's hold next weekend is gonna please you i think.

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Between the cluster fuck that the Solo thread is going to be next weekend and DP2's disappointing weekend I'll probably be checking out until I see a film that interests me enough to want to follow its box office run. 

God, I hope that Solo makes a gigantically solid number just so the annoying "Star Wars is crumbling/this is not my Han Solo" army gets shut down.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think it's going to have Civil War type legs based on the weekend. I mean I'm a big fan of the film but the signs are all there that this isn't going to be some leggy film or even a decently leggy film. It's internal multiplier for the weekend is really bad. I don't know why people are projecting a 20-25% drop for Sunday either when it's more likely to drop closer to 30%. It hasn't had a good drop all weekend. Why would Sunday suddenly be some special circumstance especially for an R-rated film? 

People will try to spin this into "your expectations were too high" or $125M OW is good for an R-rated film but I'm looking at it more so for the type of run that it's going to have and yea that preview to OW multiplier is bad. Plain and simple. 

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised with a 30-32% Saturday to Sunday drop at this point. 

• Like 1

I do love how we still have the same number as 4 hours ago. Yet the sunday drops are getting bigger and bigger in the last 2-3 hours. How does that make any sense? 

PS: I am not saying 20% or 30% or 35% is right, I am just pointing out that the the drop is getting bigger with out any new information.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, pepsa said:

I do love how we still have the same number as 4 hours ago. Yet the sunday drops are getting bigger and bigger in the last 2-3 hours. How does that make any sense? 

PS: I am not saying 20% or 30% or 35% is right, I am just pointing out that the the drop is getting bigger with out any new information.

My prediction is 26%. I don't think that the Sunday predictions have been getting lower and lower by people. I never predicted a 20% drop, whether the Saturday estimate was 41 or 45mil. I was always predicting a 25-30% drop. I was just saying that I wouldn't be surprised with a heavier drop and I wouldn't. Plain and simple. 

• Like 1

There's a small chance that DP2 4-day comes below DP1 3-day with something like,

53.3 + 41 + 29 (-29%) + 9 (-69%) = 132.3 FSSM

(I don't think that will happen though. Thinking 135 FSSM)

A $125 million opening weekend (give or take) for Deadpool 2 is obviously a great opening weekend number, but when the preview gross came in at 18.6M, I definitely overestimated how walk-up up friendly the movie would be when projecting from the previews. In retrospect, it makes sense the second film wouldn’t be as walk up driven as the first was, as it now has more of a built in fan base and audiences likely know if they are a Deadpool-style humour kind of person or not.

A $125-ish million opening is definitely nothing to sneeze at, especially for an R-rated film, and as an opening weekend gross that is probably on-par with the original film’s opening sans holiday boosts. But I can understand the disappointment if general expectations were that it would best the original.

Now it’ll be fun to see how it’s legs pan out. And how Deadpool 2, Infinity War, and Solo all perform next weekend together :) 

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

My prediction is 26%. I don't think that the Sunday predictions have been getting lower and lower by people. I never predicted a 20% drop, whether the Saturday estimate was 41 or 45mil. I was always predicting a 25-30% drop. I was just saying that I wouldn't be surprised with a heavier drop and I wouldn't. Plain and simple. 

It has happened on this weekend before (albeit, with smaller openings like A:C and Fury Road). 20-25% drop wouldn’t surprise me, but it has been on the weaker side of the jumps so far

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

So I guess the question is now if Deadpool 2 will hit $300M or miss it.

If it keeps falling like a drunk reality show star that will be a question. I'm waiting on the Final numbers on Monday to guess.

Edited by Zakiyyah6