Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, Litio said:

If Solo had been released in December, it would have been massacred by Aquaman and co.
Rival studios aren't afraid of this franchise anymore. Look what Jumanji did competing against Jedi... GA prefers to watch more appealing films instead of "for fans" movies like Solo.

I wonder if Sony hadn't received a hot tip that Last Jedi was not going to be a huge success with audiences which allowed them to schedule Jumanji where they did? It was a risk but it payed off greatly. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, John Marston said:

if anyone doesn't come back it will be Rian Johnson. I don't think his trilogy will get made

I love TLJ. But I could see BOTH his trilogy and the GoT guys get transformed into something else. 

It also got overshadowed by Black Panther and AIW. You can only have so many event movies and TLJ, BP and AIW were spaced in such a way that the audience would start to be wary I think of spending so much money all the time.

I mean, look at this:

awfwKfM.png

event movie, two months later, event movie, two months later event movie and then all of a sudden it's summer and every week there's something new out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

if anyone doesn't come back it will be Rian Johnson. I don't think his trilogy will get made

He had the best grasp of what made a good movie though, it would be sad to see him go.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

I wonder if Sony hadn't received a hot tip that Last Jedi was not going to be a huge success with audiences which allowed them to schedule Jumanji where they did? It was a risk but it payed off greatly. 

lmao i just pictured kevin feige hitting them up and reminding them of the email scandal. "You know what happened last time you didn't listen to me"

35 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

People didn't want Rogue One either. Lucasfilm should have NEVER gave up on the December release date. It's just too good, both as a new "tradition" to the GA and hardcores, and also from a merchandising standpoint. It's just a completely stupid move. If they wanted MORE time between EPIX and a Star Wars film, then move EP IX to May 4th 2020 or delay another year. I don't see how Kennedy's role can go undamaged after this. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she steps down, to be honest. 

A, It was not Lucasfilm's decision to make about the December release date. That was Disney's decision;and, Disney decided that Mary Poppins Returns needed that holiday spot more then Solo.I am sure their reasoning was that the pre Disney Star War films had been huge blockbusters in a spring release slot, and Solo would follow.

B. I think it would not have done all that much better in a December spot. It's a film that,  apparently, most people did not want.yeah, it might have done 10 to 20 Million more in a CHistams weekend release spot, but not enough to change the narrative of it's under performing. Some release spots are better then others, sure, but I think Solo was destined to underperform no matter when it was released.

I love the fanboys screaming, with no proof what-so-ever, that Solo would have done a billion in December. What a funny joke. There are always tons of excuses for Disney flops. Disney is top dog, they release hits the majority of the time but fanboys just cannot except that Disney doesn't get it right 100% of the time.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Litio said:

If Solo had been released in December, it would have been massacred by Aquaman and co.
Rival studios aren't afraid of this franchise anymore. Look what Jumanji did competing against Jedi... GA prefers to watch more appealing films instead of "for fans" movies like Solo.

I think assuming that Aquaman is gong to be a huge hit is quite an assumption, given DC's record.

Though I agree that Solo would not have done much better in December. At times, it is a case of people just not wanting to see a film,with the completion being secondary.

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

This I agree with. As much because they brought JJ back as anything. Seems to me they're not looking to subvert any more expectations.

• Like 3

The solo floppage is shocking, no two ways about it. There is disappointment and then there is bombing and this thing is bombing in a shocking way that NOBODY expected, and I dare to see someone say that he expected solo to be in danger of doing 450 million worldwide. 

Yes Star Wars is still big, how could it not be , it’s one of the biggest franchises ever that was coming hot off the heels of the ultimate nostalgia film, TFA. Having TFA sequel dropping 750 million worldwide and now solo bombing in the span of a few months is not good news and you can’t spin that. On top of that you have the emerging box office markets , that will be a huge factor in the next few years (if they aren’t already), completely rejecting the Star Wars franchise and that is bad news too.

Disney must release a decent ep9, that won’t break records or anything but won’t damage the franchise any further, scrap the STUPID ideas about....Boba Fett movies and crap like that and have some serious thinking about how to keep the event status of the Star Wars films and for the love of God stop trying to make everything into the MCU and in a silly way that produces laughable results like solo’s box office numbers. We have the avatar sequels looming on the horizon and these could prove a big problem for the SW franchise , even if Disney does buy fox in the end and gets the profits, the avatar sequels will prove to be a big problem for SW if Disney continues to milk SW. Maybe if they buy fox and release the avatar films they can let SW rest for a few years since having avatar, MCU and Star Wars will be overkill.

Edited by Thrylos 7

I just saw it, and it honestly astounds me that such a nothingburger of a movie 1) allegedly cost more than $300M to make (I'm gonna assume those reshoots were extremely expensive, cause the money's not even close to being on-screen) and 2) has become such a lightning rod for debate over whether its box office numbers have killed an entire franchise or not.

But as for the movie...meh. Between this and the similar "whatever" quality of Rogue One, I'm good if we don't get any more of these spin-off/origin Star Wars movies.

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I love the fanboys screaming, with no proof what-so-ever, that Solo would have done a billion in December. What a funny joke.

It's ridiculous.

Yes, some release slots are better then others, but from the way Solo is performing, it wuld have done poorly no matter when it was released.

And let's be frank, if any big film ever had "Christmas Release" written all over it, it's MPR.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I love the fanboys screaming, with no proof what-so-ever, that Solo would have done a billion in December. What a funny joke. There are always tons of excuses for Disney flops. Disney is top dog, they release hits the majority of the time but fanboys just cannot except that Disney doesn't get it right 100% of the time.

Who said $1b? I'm saying north to $300m domestic and $200-300m OS. It'd be good enough and feasible, with a decent marketing campaign, something that this film simply didn't have. 

• Thanks 1