Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

lol "As if HAN SOLO himself isn't Star Wars" the fact that people are still trying to uphold the farce that ot characters are the definition of the series is sad. like are we not in the middle of a flop finally dispelling that

and tlj sidelined the black and female main characters in favor of the white male one. if anything alt-right/conservatives got what they wanted after shitting on tfa, rian decided to cater to them instead of the audiences that made episode 7 a hit. i hate this completely false narrative cherry picking a few people complaining about there being too many women in tlj or something, and ignoring the reality that the majority of sexists AND racists who hated on tfa were happy with tlj

and please rogue one was more driven by PT audiences than OT ones. why are we underestimating the people who grew up in the 00s

ALSO the last batch of mcu movies (homecoming, ragnarok, black panther, infinity war) have been WAY better to women and people of color than the last jedi. so don't even try it

Edited by water

1 minute ago, water said:

lol "As if HAN SOLO himself isn't Star Wars" the fact that people are still trying to uphold the farce that ot characters are the definition of the series is sad. like are we not in the middle of a flop finally dispelling that

and tlj sidelined the black and female main characters in favor of the white male one. if anything alt-right/conservatives got what they wanted after shitting on tfa, rian decided to cater to them instead of the audiences that made episode 7 a hit. i hate this completely false narrative cherry picking a few people complaining about there being too many women in tlj or something, and ignoring the reality that the majority of sexists AND racists who hated on tfa were happy with tlj

and please rogue one was more driven by PT audiences than OT ones. why are we underestimating the people who grew up in the 00s

This is the first time ive heared someone saying this, Internet or real world. Congrats.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The past couple of pages ugh.

Anyways this just makes doing a Boba Fett film even more silly. It might do better in the usual Star Wars markets but certainly won't reach Episode or Rogue One levels. Not to mention the other markets will reject it like they did with Solo. 

And the best thing you can do to help diversity and inclusion is to make good characters and unfortunately characters like Rose, Holdo and Finn (from TLJ) were not very well received. Add to the uselessness of Phasma in TFA and TLJ and IMO it hurts more than does any good. 

Compare that to Black Panther or Thor: Ragnarok where characters like Valkyrie, Okoye and Shuri are fan favourites because they are well written characters. 

Anyone thinking that issues with Rose, Holdo or Finn in TLJ are all due to racism/sexism need only read that last sentence you wrote. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The issue is EVERYTHING has become political about Star Wars, who is cast and the directors and the MCU does not have this problem.

If people find that Fin and Rose were forgettable and useless in TLJ for legitimate reasons.

The response they get is that 

"Well you are Racist, Alt right Sexist!" 

No sensible person had an issue with Finn in TFA, it was that his character was rather nerfed in TLJ but instead of taking it as a critique of the film, people turn that around into a sexism or racism issue.

Yes there are people who are racist and dislike Finn but lumping everyone together is why there is so much animosity and division in the SW fanbase.

Because there is a large racist and sexist group who are very vocal and hate current Star Wars. It’s hard to know who has legit issues and who is just a crazy. 

Rose is a useless character who was only added to stop the Poe and Finn shipping.

The biggest issue is the writers have no idea what to do with any characters who aren’t Kylo or Rey. And their ideas for them aren’t even that good. 

Edited by Frozen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

The only winners over Solo this weekend:

Image result for lord and miller

To be honest I am not sure that what happens to Solo makes them look good either. There are no winners.

Regardless, just like Ron Howard (and most people involved) they will be just fine.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

This is the first time ive heared someone saying this, Internet or real world. Congrats.

that's why i said i'm tired of the opposite false narrative being spread

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, water said:

ALSO the last batch of mcu movies (homecoming, ragnarok, black panther, infinity war) have been WAY better to women and people of color than the last jedi. so don't even try it

nah the sexists and racists who hated on TFA also hated TLJ. For the record, most people who didn't like TFA but liked TLJ are not racist or sexist in any way (and vice versa). Some people just didn't like TFA because they thought the plot was too much of a retread of ANH and other legitimate criticisms.

Calm down water.

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Yes there are people who are racist and dislike Finn but lumping everyone together is why there is so much animosity and division in the SW fanbase.

And there you have it. This stuff pops up in every film franchise, I’ve just never seen it on the scale of the Star Wars fandom. 

Seriously Star Wars might be the only fandom that I have a legitimate distaste for. There’s just way too many openly sexists and racist people that cling onto the blasted thing, almost as if they’re representatives of the franchise. What’s mad to me is that not one of the big stars of the series has even addressed it. I remember when the alt-right were hyping up Punisher on Netflix and Jon Bernthal shut that shit down.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The issue is EVERYTHING has become political about Star Wars, who is cast and the directors and the MCU does not have this problem.

If people find that Fin and Rose were forgettable and useless in TLJ for legitimate reasons.

The response they get is that 

"Well you are Racist, Alt right Sexist!" 

There is a line here which I am not sure you are differentiating. People can complain that the Finn and Rose segment in TLJ was a waste of time and forgettable. That is a perfectly legitimate complaint as it is really a complaint about the film's story and/or the acting. However, as was stated up thread, there was an objection to Rose because she was Asian and her character existed only due to identity politics. That is a sexist and racist opinion.

Unfortunately, the people who had complaints with the film's story and those who had complaints from a political perspective had their voices blended together to give the film the appearance that it is an awful movie. The critics certainly liked it. Its domestic and worldwide grosses suggest enough people were interested in it and didn't kneecap it. I suspect the film will hold up well over time as critical opinion will be solid in the decades to come whereas the political disagreements with it will fade over time as they usually do.

• Like 4