WrathOfHan

Wednesday Numbers: Solo 4.9M | Deadpool 3.9M | Book Club 1.6M | Infinity War 1.5M

Just now, baumer said:

IMO, it shouldn't be easy, if it was everyone would do it.  But JJ and Kathleen are smart people.  And SW fans are loyal.  SW recovered from the prequels (even though they weren't as hated as people make them out to be).  Look at Clones.  Lowest grossing film and a huge drop from TPM.  But they made a few smart decisions for ROTS and boom, all was right again.

ROTS, a movie that sold itself all on its own with one of the most appealing finale hooks ever and minimal effort needed. Good luck to IX finding a hook a fraction as appealing. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

ROTS, a movie that sold itself all on its own with one of the most appealing finale hooks ever and minimal effort needed. Good luck to IX finding a hook a fraction as appealing. 

There's an easy way to fix it.  

You just have to dream a little bigger, darling.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

IMO, it shouldn't be easy, if it was everyone would do it.  But JJ and Kathleen are smart people.  And SW fans are loyal.  SW recovered from the prequels (even though they weren't as hated as people make them out to be).  Look at Clones.  Lowest grossing film and a huge drop from TPM.  But they made a few smart decisions for ROTS and boom, all was right again.

Except ROTS was what people wanted to see most from the Prequels storyline, the actual downfall of Anakin and the movie was an actual "one last ride".

ROTS had a sense of closure, Ep 9 won't have that luxury.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Except ROTS was what people wanted to see most from the Prequels storyline, the actual downfall of Anakin and the movie was an actual "one last ride".

good hook for the next one...Episode IX: One Last Ride

5Ddnphv.jpg

Edited by A2k Rex
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

ROTS had a sense of closure, Ep 9 won't have that luxury.

Like I said, it will take some talented writers to fix it.  But that's why they get paid big bucks to do it.  

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

Like I said, it will take some talented writers to fix it.  But that's why they get paid big bucks to do it.  

Yep. TLJ's plot leave us with a story that need to be fixed.

And it's a Marketing nightmare. No Pun, no open ended stories, no new lovable characters, no existing OT characters alive...

Well at least we still have the good things that were set up in TFA, well.... half of them since Rian Johnson thought it would be a good idead to close the other half with his amazings explanations : "there is none :redcapes:"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ROTS didn’t break any records or anything, anyway, I can find many movies close to ROTS that did better worldwide from return of the king to spider man 3 to Harry Potter and the goblet of fire. It just did better than AOTC but it’s not like it was written in the box office history books. I think TFA is the last Star Wars to break records for the foreseeable  future , like the next ten years and possibly many more.

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I couldn't disagree more about no new likable characters claim. Just because Johnson mishandled Rey, Finn and Poe does not make them unlikable characters. 

POE was likeable in TFA but his role was so small... Finn's character is likeable but feels out of place

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I couldn't disagree more about no new likable characters claim. Just because Johnson mishandled Rey, Finn and Poe does not make them unlikable characters. 

They are insignificant, in my opinion, not unlikeable. Nobody will care whether these characters return or not in the future trilogies in the way some fans care for ewan mcgregor’s obi wan , for example (not to mention any OT characters) . Billy Dee Williams had more charisma in one of his fingers than all these actors and characters put together.

17 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

ROTS didn’t break any records or anything, anyway, I can find many movies close to ROTS that did better worldwide from return of the king to spider man 3 to Harry Potter and the goblet of fire. It just did better than AOTC but it’s not like it was written in the box office history books. I think TFA is the last Star Wars to break records for the foreseeable  future , like the next ten years and possibly many more.

ROTS opened on a Thursday and had a 4-day weekend that looked something like ... 108/160 or so.

If it opened on traditional Friday like the Twilight movies, maybe it would have done like 150.  60m Friday in 2005, 50m Saturday, 40m Sunday = 150, 2 years before SM3.  this is fantasy predictions and speculation though so IDK

3 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

ROTS opened on a Thursday and had a 4-day weekend that looked something like ... 108/160 or so.

If it opened on traditional Friday like the Twilight movies, maybe it would have done like 150.  60m Friday in 2005, 50m Saturday, 40m Sunday = 150, 2 years before SM3.  this is fantasy predictions and speculation though so IDK

The only thing that matters to me , for any movie, is its final WORLDWIDE box office number. ROTS was nothing special in that regard , just another run of the mill big blockbuster film among a sea of more successful films in those years (2003-2007).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

849 on 113 prod budget (849/113 = 7.51) ... amazing. Potters were costlier, and Spiderman 2,3 and POTC 2,3 even more so. ROTS also had a better % of the lucrative Dom gross compared to POTC and Potters.

If you go +-1 year the 2004-2006 top 5 ww were:

1. DMC 1066 (2006) 225 prod budget
  2. SHREK2 920 (2004) 150
  3. POTC4 896 (2005) 150
  4. ROTS 849 (2005) 113
  5. POTC3 798 (2004) 130
Edited by A2k Rex
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, A2k Rex said:

849 on 113 prod budget (849/113 = 7.51) ... amazing. Potters were costlier, and Spiderman 2,3 and POTC 2,3 even more so. ROTS also had a better % of the lucrative Dom gross compared to POTC and Potters.

If you go +-1 year the 2004-2006 top 5 ww were:

1. DMC 1066 (2006) 225 prod budget
  2. SHREK2 920 (2004) 150
  3. POTC4 896 (2005) 150
  4. ROTS 849 (2005) 113
  5. POTC3 798 (2004) 130

Let's return 1 year further back and we have a movie that did: 1.12B on a 94m budget. 11.9 times it's budget. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Let's return 1 year further back and we have a movie that did: 1.12B on a 94m budget. 11.9 times it's budget. 

Looking at how strong and consistent Hobbits were in China (for it's time) one can only imagine how LOTRs would do there today. Hell WB should try to release them there.

I wonder if Game 1 of the NBA Finals had an effect on Thursday numbers. I feel like this would have more of an effect than the Conference Finals but I also remember last year there was an effect so will be interesting to see if that's the case again this year or if folks are tired of seeing the Warriors and Cavs play each other every year lol 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

I wonder if Game 1 of the NBA Finals had an effect on Thursday numbers. I feel like this would have more of an effect than the Conference Finals but I also remember last year there was an effect so will be interesting to see if that's the case again this year or if folks are tired of seeing the Warriors and Cavs play each other every year lol 

looking at openers APOC (-17%) in 2016 and POTC5 (-19%) in 2017, a 15% drop for Solo for 4.1 is worth bracing for.

• Like 1