baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Just wait and see how tired you are when people compare every film's box office to it. 

"Listen the Bumblebee spinoff may have disappointed a lil but at least it's no Solo"

Hereditary has an outside chance at being second next weekend. Solo is only going to do 11.5-12M max and may fall below 10M. Obviously buzz online needs to be really strong for Hereditary given the lack of ads, but I don’t see it opening below The Witch right now. We’ll see how audiences react to it.

• Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I'm amazed that ppl are so confident the Rian Johnson trilogy is going to happen. Said that a few weeks after TLJ came out, after its legs were evident

It’s not happening unless they want to inflame the fans even more and plan to self destruct. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

When Incredibles 2 opens to 140M+ I am expecting a lot of "superheroes saving dismal box office" headlines.

Well by the end of the summer 5 of the top 6 films at the box office will be superhero movies.

And depending on how Aquaman and Venom do 7 of the top 10 films at the end of the year will be superhero movies  

:redcapes:

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

"Listen the Bumblebee spinoff may have disappointed a lil but at least it's no Solo"

Bumblebee’s budget is only around 120-150M; most of it was filmed in California, which cost 105M IIRC. Paramount ain’t losing money on it.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Hereditary has an outside chance at being second next weekend. Solo is only going to do 11.5-12M max and may fall below 10M. Obviously buzz online needs to be really strong for Hereditary given the lack of ads, but I don’t see it opening below The Witch right now. We’ll see how audiences react to it.

They won't like it. It's slow and doesn't have characters you root for or even understand. 

• Sad 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

WOM is not going to be pretty for Hereditary IMO. It's probably gonna open to It Comes At Night numbers.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It didn't came close to any record, it was not even the best sellers of 2018 (that was Avengers) let alone coming close to the previous Star Wars performance.

That was the news: 

“Solo” had the second-best first day of presales of the year, behind only “Avengers: Infinity War.” 

That show the power of the click-bait title, that what many remember (or I imagine most never did read the article and really thought Solo did break a  record).

Solo will be the second highest grossing Ron Howard directed movie in the new Millennium*

*Considering Jan 1 2001 as the start of the millennium.

Just now, FantasticBeasts said:

Your daily reminder of films that Solo will not outgross.

Thor
Star Trek Into Darkness
Warcraft
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Matrix Revolutions

more

Terminator Genisys

Signs

Pacific Rim

The Greatest Showman

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

Die Another Day