baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

25 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's probably going to do around 15/45 IMO. The House had the disadvantage of opening against Baby Driver.

And being a shitty flick

• Like 1

2nd Update, Friday Midday: The post-Memorial Day weekend at the box office doesn’t have to be a downer. However, none of the majors wanted to take advantage of that opportunity and slot an event title here. Wonder Woman opened in this space a year ago and soared to a $103.2M opening and became the biggest grossing title of last summer stateside with $412.5M. We’re left with holiday leftovers in Disney’s disappointment Solo: A Star Wars Story which according to estimates is grounded with a $7.5M second Friday, -78% which translates into a $26M second weekend, -69% for a running total of $145.5M. Ouch. Hopefully we don’t see a summer downturn on par with last year.

Fox originally had Deadpool 2 set to open on this weekend, but wisely moved it prior to Solo, and the pic is still eating into the Lucasfilm title’s business with a weekend three of $20M-$21M, -53% which isn’t too bad when you consider it’s coming off a holiday weekend where Sunday was bulked up. DP2 is looking at $6M today and a running domestic total north of $252M. Some will argue that DP2‘s audience is so different from Solo‘s, but event films are event films, and a more general audience is clearly not going out of their way for the latest Star Wars movie.

Among the new stuff, STXfilms/Lakeshore’s Adrift is poised to take 3rd place with $4.3M today (including last night’s $725K) and an opening of $11M-$11.3M.

Paramount’s amusement park comedy Action Point looks condemned to less than $3M weekend, while BH Tilt’s Upgrade could actually beat it (which isn’t anything to crow about) with $3.4M-$3.6M.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/shailene-woodley-adrift-solo-star-wars-story-action-point-weekend-box-office-1202401740/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

A 620 dom film gets beaten twice, handily so, in 6 months. All 3 from the same studio. To think 10 years back TDK became the first film to cross 500 after Titanic.

7.5 would be a 67% Fri bump for Solo. POTC5 jumped 85% last year. I think Deadline is low-balling Solo by 0.5+ and DP2 by 0.5.

Not that POTC5 is the touchstone for Solo but +67% is abnormally low.

Edited by A2k Rex

If Deadpool 2 can get to $21M, I think that would be good for it but considering the past two weekends it's decreased every single Friday from Deadline's estimates I won't hold my breath. 

Also if that Solo number holds, it'll be a disaster of epic proportions. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

The numbers for Action Point at the moment signal one of the biggest bombs I have seen in a loooonnggg time.  

Is that why there are no numbers to report?  Because there are literally nooooo numbers to report :thinking:

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

They overestimated Rogue Nation    http://www2.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2015-06-long-range-forecast-mission-impossible-rogue-nation

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation Jul 31, 2015 Paramount

$71,000,000

ahhhhhh. couldn't remember where boxoffice.com stood on it. I just remember a lot of tracking underpredicting it 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Sub-2M weekend for Action Point??????

He said one of the biggest bombs in a long time. And considering Solo just bombed, I'm guessing we are talking about under $1M for the weekend 

52 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Tag’s gonna flop IMO, it’s the next The House if you ask me. Trailers aren’t funny and there doesn’t seem to be any buzz

I know a lot of people are excited for Tag. I think it's a hit. *shrug*

Personally i think it looks stupid

• Like 1