baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So BP did 247k this weekend with 870k left to 700m. Some comps of the recent leggiest non-kids movies at the most similar point in their runs:

The Greatest Showman: 226k

remaining gross: 700k (estimate)

Jumanji: 186k 17th weekend

remaining gross: 600k (estimate)

So it misses the mark with both of those movie's multis from comparable weekends, and hard to imagine leggier runs than either of them. Only way it gets there on its own is if it inexplicably performs like a kid's release does in late legs, such as Peter Rabbit. 

summer weekends loose some portion of weekly gross to mon-thu so the weekend multiplier of those 2 won't apply. and using last whole week will skew things due to MD Monday inflation thus giving a rosier picture to BP. but either way, this debate is moot as what's "on it's own"? if it gets a 1000 theater bump which let's it do 701-702 it didn't do 700 it on it's own?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Solo was going to be very different. The Lord and Miller cut was going to be a GotG-style comedy. :whosad: 

Well then they blew it. They should have taken the chance, a more comedic solo after the Uber serious (yes even with the usual marvel jokes) and depressing IW would have performed much,much better. Maybe they were afraid the rabid sw fan base would have complained watching their beloved Solo becoming a peter quill- like character ?

3 minutes ago, A2k Rex said:

summer weekends loose some portion of weekly gross to mon-thu so the weekend multiplier of those 2 won't apply. and using last whole week will skew things due to MD Monday inflation thus giving a rosier picture to BP. but either way, this debate is moot as what's "on it's own"? if it gets a 1000 theater bump which let's it do 701-702 it didn't do 700 it on it's own?

No, I don't consider that "on its own." I'm talking about just letting it play organically from this point, then I'm pretty sure it misses. But I don't want it to at all, so I hope Disney does get some big expansion for it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Maybe they were afraid the rabid sw fan base would have complained watching their beloved Solo becoming a peter quill- like character ?

When was Solo a serious character to begin with? In fact, I believe that a lot of Pratt's Starlord is based on Ford's Solo.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I just got back from Life of the Party.

I went in with low expectations (because Tammy and The Boss).

But halfway through the film there were 3 scenes in a row that made me cry laughing. Literally hysterical

I can understand the solid holds now. 

Pleasant surprise. 

Youre the third person to mention a few scenes of hilarity.  You have now convinced me to see it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Saw this on Twitter - Ron Howard's movie will be hurt badly by Bryce Dallas Howard's movie starting Wednesday.

I love Bryce Dallas Howard, I wish she had the proper Gwen Stacy starring role in a Sam Reimi spider man 4. :whosad:

Edited by Thrylos 7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The only question left about Solo as far as box office geos, is how much will Disney lose on it?

Not as much as people think. 

4 hours ago, baumer said:

And what source are you using to determine what is the biggest flops?

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/budgets/

A bit of a strange list, both for the approximate income and the approximate expense do seem a bit strange.

They seem to do for profit

World box office * 0.5 + gross domestic physical sales.......

Yep seem to be it, looking at 4 different movie that formula give almost their exact numbers. Sound like a ridiculous rules of thumb to use.... that hurt recent release quite a bit.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

If Solo is around the 300m budget mark, then keep in mind it would miss its budget by around 100m DOM. That's horrendous, barely above John Carter levels of disaster. And then it has abysmal OS on top of it. 250m budget makes it a little better, though still easily a sizable money loser at the box office. Those toy sales had better perform. 

4 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

How Do You Know low-key has one of the absolute craziest budgets ever. 

And the 100m net budget rumors is probably underplaying it, Sony had it at (111,09) net. Even by cutting the lost with a small international release, they lost 113m on it, just a tiny bit less than the movie budget + overhead...

If I remember the story right, that movie got stuck in production hell and was a vestige of the pre-economical crisis/dvd bubble when risk disappeared quite a bit for studio, when he started on this movie in 2006 it made sense.

21 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

I strongly suspect the Lord and Miller footage is truly awful.

So of course I'd love to see it.

variety says about 30% of what's in the movie is still lord and miller stuff

thandie newton says she did almost all of her work with lord and miller. she'd have been off making westworld while the howard stuff was being shot so maybe they didn't have a problem with that opening section. not to give credence to rumors but ehrenreich does get better as the movie goes along imo.