Asyulus

INCREDIBLES 2 Weekend |🏆| ACTUALS: 182.7M OW | O8 19M, Tag 14.9M, Solo 10M, DP2 8.7M, IW 5.4M

Went to get tix. The parking lot looked averge. I asked how it was selling, he said “Well. Not as good as I was expecting, but summer just started [it didnt] so people are probably out doing stuff. I’m sure itll pick up tonight.”

Just giving my anecdote. I’m sure tonight will be a madhouse regardless. I’m excited.

Trailer stalkers @Blankments @That One Guy

9:

Sicario: Day of the Soldado (All the Money in the World, Molly’s Game, The Commuter, Phantom Thread, Annihilation, Red Sparrow, Unsane, A Quiet Place, Upgrade)

7:

Mission: Impossible – Fallout (Black Panther, Annihilation, A Quiet Place, Avengers: Infinity War, Ready Player One, Breaking In, Upgrade)

6:

Alpha (Hitman’s Bodyguard, Geostorm, Thor: Ragnarok, Downsizing, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Isle of Dogs)

5:

The Darkest Minds (A Quiet Place, Ready Player One, Blockers, Breaking In, Upgrade)

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Black Panther, Rampage, Avengers: Infinity War, Deadpool 2)

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (The Greatest Showman, The Post, Love, Simon, Breaking In, Ocean’s 8 )

4:

Ant-Man and the Wasp (Black Panther, Rampage, Deadpool 2, Upgrade)

Tag (Unsane, A Quiet Place, Ready Player One, Blockers)

Venom (Black Panther, Game Night, Blockers, Deadpool 2)

3:

Incredibles 2 (Coco, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Avengers: Infinity War)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Love, Simon, Ready Player One, Deadpool 2)

2:

Alita: Battle Angel (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle)

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Unsane, Isle of Dogs)

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Isle of Dogs, Avengers: Infinity War)

Night School (Blockers, Breaking In)

Polaroid (Wind River, mother!)

1:

SuperFly (Breaking In)

Spoiler

BlacKkKlansman (Upgrade)

The Current War (Wind River)

Dr. Suess’ The Grinch (Isle of Dogs)

Duck Duck Goose (The LEGO Ninjago Movie)

Eighth Grade (Isle of Dogs)

The First Purge (Upgrade)

The Girl in the Spider’s Web (Ocean’s 😎

The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Ready Player One)

The Meg (Upgrade)

Mortal Engines (The Commuter)

The New Mutants (Thor: Ragnarok)

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (The Greatest Showman)

Peppermint (Ocean’s 😎

Skyscraper (Rampage)

Smallfoot (Coco)

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Ready Player One)

A Star Is Born (Ocean’s 😎

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (Rampage)

Uncle Drew (Annihilation)

Unfriended: Dark Web (Upgrade)

Widows (Ocean’s 😎

Won’t You Be My Neighbor? (Isle of Dogs)

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That's not how animation/PG family fare works. It's its own thing because there are many people who simply don't let kids go to PG-13's. If you don't believe me, just look at how many insane animation multis there have been in the midst of other huge PG-13 competitors. They're not in the same category of main demos. 

Except Incredibles 2 is also targeting a lot of the same audience that Jurassic World/Ant Man would also target?  You would have a valid point if this were, say, Dory, but it’s not.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Except Incredibles 2 is also targeting a lot of the same audience that Jurassic World/Ant Man would also target?  You would have a valid point if this were, say, Dory, but it’s not.

True, but you could say the same about Shrek 2 (targeting a lot of teens/adults not just kids). Alas, huge releases shortly after like The Day After Tomorrow (huge for the time), Prisoner of Azkaban, and Spider-man 2 didn't seem to affect Shrek 2 much. So I maintain other animated/live action family fare are the only competitors that truly affect animated/family fare legs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlashMaster659 said:

If that’s just from morning shows, 200m is not off the table.  If it hits 200m, all bets are off on how high it can go.

Saw the movie, it’ll have great WoM and should rule the rest of the summer

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Real talk: If y’all thought TI2 was a four quadrant movie, imagine how big The Lion King will be.

meh i stick by that Lion King has a lot of backlash towards the inherent idea and won't get the older crowd Incredibles has 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

True, but you could say the same about Shrek 2 (targeting a lot of teens/adults not just kids). Alas, huge releases shortly after like The Day After Tomorrow (huge for the time), Prisoner of Azkaban, and Spider-man 2 didn't seem to affect Shrek 2 much. So I maintain other animated/live action family fare are the only competitors that truly affect animated/family fare legs. 

Honestly, I think it’ll be JW, HT3 and Ant-Man that are hurt from I2 not the other way around.

This is really a four quadrant movie, there’s stuff in it for everyone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Incredibles 2 will definitely target older teens/adults a lot more than Shrek, I’m sorry.  Nearly 14 years between the films.  If you were 8 when the original came out, you’d be 22 now.  If you were 8 when Shrek came out, you’d be 11 when Shrek 2 came out.  It’s just not a good comparison.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You're forgetting the reason why legs were better in general in 2004: nowhere near as much big new competition as today.

Shrek 2 opening on a Wednesday make it a bad example to use leg wise, 4x days still happen for Wednesday openers.

But in general legs in 2004 were stronger for also those 2 factor:

No previews/smaller weekend

Saturation of the release. (I would imagine because of digital vs prints)

In 2004 in the USA alone there was 6031 cinema cite, Shrek opened in a really big for the time 4,163 theater (in Canada + USA), Garfield 3,100 theater.  Lot of theater didn't open those movies and will play them later in the runs.

In 2018 there is less cinema cite (5,773) and yet movies open in more of them 4,410 for Incredibles 2. (less than 76.3% of the theater playing it vs less than 69% for a Shrek 2 or just 51% for a Garfield). And if we would look for the screen counts, we will probably see much more screen for the new opener we went from 36k screens to 40k screen. The movie open for a longer time on more screens, you can buy your ticket online it is much easier to see a movie opening weekend than before and in a mini-China way that will inflate it / reduce the legs.

Has for Shrek low competition, it had a giant days Potter movie in is third weekend (were unsurprisingly it got is worst drop)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

JW and Ant-Man aren’t direct competition to I2.  Not in the same way Pets was to Dory or Minions was to IO.

Just now, The Incredible Panda said:

JW and Ant-Man aren’t direct competition to I2.  Not in the same way Pets was to Dory or Minions was to IO.

They’re still gonna make 150M+ and 75M+ on their opening weekends?  Please describe how this wouldn’t affect Incredibles 2, especially because I2 is far more teen/adult heavy than something like Shrek 2 or Dory

For what it's worth as a piece of anecdotal evidence, my local pub cinema - which is completely 21+ at all hours - is carrying Incredibles 2 this weekend. It's the first time they've ever carried an animated film.

The film is going to play to tons of families, sure, but the original film's reputation and the passage of time mean that it's probably going to pull in a more sizable number of adults (sans accompanying children) than the vast majority of animated films. As such, I don't think you can write off PG-13 tentpoles like Jurassic World and Ant-Man as non-factors in its long-term prospects. I think the word-of-mouth will be strong enough that it will have a leggy run despite the competition it faces (it helps that the last weekend in June looks uncharacteristically weak), but just being animated doesn't make it impervious to other big films that are aiming for audiences that overlap with Incredibles 2's varied demos.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Incredibles 2 will definitely target older teens/adults a lot more than Shrek, I’m sorry.  Nearly 14 years between the films.  If you were 8 when the original came out, you’d be 22 now.  If you were 8 when Shrek came out, you’d be 11 when Shrek 2 came out.  It’s just not a good comparison.

Shrek 2 was huge with teens at the time. It had nothing to do with being young when the first came out, rather that the first got a huge teen following when it came out. 

The 1st incredible and Finding Nemo were coming in early 2000s, which earned 261m and 339m.

By theory, finding dory should have higher gross than incredible 2 thanks to higher popularity of its predecessor. Yet, in2 flies higher than finding dory!

Superhero craze boost continue and fuel in2 further here....