Asyulus

INCREDIBLES 2 Weekend |🏆| ACTUALS: 182.7M OW | O8 19M, Tag 14.9M, Solo 10M, DP2 8.7M, IW 5.4M

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I wonder if Disney is going to dust off those old ride plans for The Incredibles and build it now. It's insane that it had no theme park presence until this year, and even the new ride is just an overlay of California Screamin.

Maybe Cars Land could be replaced by Incredibles Land

Edited by Jonwo

Just now, Mekanos said:

If Matt Reeves gets to finally make his Batman movie it might be a contender. I think people will be hungry for a genuine Batman movie, which there hasn't been one since 2012.

Also Godzilla Vs Kong could do it if audiences enjoy Godzilla 2. A $150M/$400M/$1B performance could happen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Agreed. My guess for Pets 2 is Again $270M/$1B whereas TS4 is $300M/$850M.

Bond 25 depends on DOM, Homecoming 2 also has a great chance, but I’m a bit leery on DOM. Facing The Lion King and Hobbs and Shaw back to back may hurt, but I think it’ll benefit from the lack of action tentpoles. MIB depending on quality might have a very small chance to surprise ($1B won’t happen but maybe $700M). Hobbs and Shaw could be a candidate due to China.

I imagine Sony would be thrilled if MIB matched the heights of MIB3 which is what I realistically see happeining.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, water said:

LOOOL... all i said is it would have made a bit more. you guys are acting like awit made 20m and i said it would make 200m without racism. when it made 100m and i said it would make 120m without racism. why are you all so bothered?????

20-30m is not a bit more, it is quite more.

Wrinkle in time will finish very close to Tomorrowland adjusted (100.3m) and quite higher than Pete's Dragon 82m adjusted, the fact that it took that long to do it and was a natural say 97m performer and 100.3m could be, the Intl calamity could be. But 20-30m dbo is a lot.

Using those example above is not 100% fair to exclude racism that easily, because the black cast/stars, seem to have boosted it's box office among African-American (17% of the audience OW), not like Black Panther but still above average. So it still did less outside the AA community than say Tomorrowland, but:

Wrinkle in time OW demo:

Caucasian: 56%

Hispanics: 20%

African-American: 17%: 

Asians: 5%

Native American/other: 3%

A movie like Secret life of pets

Caucasian: 50%

Hispanics: 24%

African-American: 14%: 

Asians: 8%

Native American/other: 4%

Finding Dory

Caucasian: 47%

Hispanics: 26%

African-American: 13%: 

Asians: 10%

Native American/other: 4%

Annual Average

Caucasian: 51%

Hispanics: 21%

African-American: 14%: 

Asians/Native American/other: 14%

https://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2016_Final-1.pdf

Those demography numbers do not indicate something that special going on with Wrinkle in TIme audience or a significant rejection by racism (that is not compensate by the appeal toward non racist at least), it was even an above average white audience and not that more popular among the African-American audience than the average release.

Without racism you probably do not have champion of the movie and other factor in play, hard to know how it played out but without racist that movie making exactly the same as Tomorrowland would have been good no ? Tomorrowland had the much bigger Brad Bird production and giant 2 year's of marketing.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'd give that a 90% chance at happening.

As for the next non Disney/Universal 1B grosser, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen until Avatar. Maaaaaaaaaaaybe Jumanji 2 if it's a 2019 release. Wonder Woman won't do it when OS was less than DOM last time

Avatar is going to be under of if those two banners by the time of its release 

2 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

The real question is....what is the next non Disney movie to land a top 10 all time opening weekend. Because it doesn’t look like Jurassic World 2 will top Beauty and the Beast and that was the best bet for any movie we currently know about 

Shrek 5 is in development. When it happens, it’ll be the first animated movie over $200M OW. Godzilla vs Kong, WW1984 and Matt Reeves Batman seem the most likely.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Maybe Cars Land could be replaced by Incredibles Land

lmao what? That has a 0% chance of happening. It's the most popular area in the park by a large margin

Edited by WrathOfHan

8 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Agreed. My guess for Pets 2 is Again $270M/$1B whereas TS4 is $300M/$850M.

Bond 25 depends on DOM, Homecoming 2 also has a great chance, but I’m a bit leery on DOM. Facing The Lion King and Hobbs and Shaw back to back may hurt, but I think it’ll benefit from the lack of action tentpoles. MIB depending on quality might have a very small chance to surprise ($1B won’t happen but maybe $700M). Hobbs and Shaw could be a candidate due to China.

MIB is men in Black reboot ? I really doubt that.  Hobbs and Shaw no way, China can’t help it that much , it won’t be anywhere near as big as the f&f films WW and following its trajectory even the next f&f film might have a hard time passing 1 billion it could pull a T:TLK , o.k not so severe but it’s still not a lock for 1 billion based on FOTF drop from f&f7 .

Maybe an animation film, not familiar with these or even something surprising that we don’t expect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

The real question is....what is the next non Disney movie to land a top 10 all time opening weekend. Because it doesn’t look like Jurassic World 2 will top Beauty and the Beast and that was the best bet for any movie we currently know about 

Detective Pikachu :jeb!:

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

My feeling on Pets 2 is that it won't did that well because the first is a not-good, oddly dark animated film that seems to be Illumination's forte outside of the first DM movie. 

I mean, Pets had an amazing concept and marketing campaign, but does anyone even know people that liked the first movie?

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Shrek 5 is in development. Godzilla vs Kong, WW1984 and Matt Reeves Batman seem the most likely.

Are people clamouring for Shrek 5? I think a prequel to Shrek which was mentioned a long time ago as an idea would be good but they milked it dry with Shrek the Third and Shrek Forever. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

Are people clamouring for Shrek 5? I think a prequel to Shrek which was mentioned a long time ago as an idea would be good but they milked it dry with Shrek the Third and Shrek Forever. 

Nostalgia. Yes, Shrek 3 and Shrek 4 sucked but a lot of people loved the first two. Hell the dvd of Shrek 2, was like one of the biggest animated movies on DVD and it took us 12 years for it to beat domestically by another animated film. If Shrek 5 looks and is good, combined with Comcast’s aggressive marketing tactics will allow this to skyrocket.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

ERC also liked my tweet about Infinity War, Black Panther and even Solo all also looking suspicious too. 

IW estimate do look suspiciously low after the Friday number, and considering it’s Fathers Day weekend.