sfran43

Monday's Numbers 23.9...eeeerrrr...24.1 according to Forbes

Huge first Monday gross for an animated film. Whether $23.9M or $24.1M, the ~54% drop seems right after a 10.8% Sunday hold. It is commensurate to Toy Story 3 dropping 51% after a 13.5% Sunday hold.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

Looks like Incredibles 2 is going to have a strong first Monday. I hope to catch it soon. I'm hearing good word of mouth from people around me. 

23 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

PS - Man, Niagara Falls in Canada is everything people say it is...they aren't joking (riding that boat into the spray - dang, one of the coolest things, both literally and figuratively, I've ever done:)...

It is for sure! My wife and I did the Canadian side visit to Niagara Falls two years ago. Really great trip!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, a2k said:

Now the 2018 Dom chart has 4 CBMs on top - BP, AIW, DP2, I2 - as I2 goes over Solo and AQP.

Super hero fatigue is real, alive and well

:sparta:

Edited by Nova
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

Superhero movies are the only things keeping the box office afloat this year.

Most years for the past decade if we are being honest. 

Those calling for superhero fatigue to set in are actually calling for a collapse of the industry. Not saying movies will stop, I'm saying it'll be like a big recession hits and trickles down through Hollywood. All the TV shows, cartoons, gaming etc will be affected if people actually en masse lose their taste for superhero fare. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

Looks like Incredibles 2 is going to have a strong first Monday. I hope to catch it soon. I'm hearing good word of mouth from people around me. 

It is for sure! My wife and I did the Canadian side visit to Niagara Falls two years ago. Really great trip!

@TwoMisfits..I live about 2 hours away from Niagara Falls and haven't been there for about a decade.  But you are both right, it's a breathtaking trip, especially the Maid of the Mist.  Because of you both, I'm going to make sure I get out there this summer.  Niagara Falls really is a great place to visit.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

I see what you mean but there are films like Ready Player One, Peter Rabbit, Quiet Place, 50 Shades, Rampage, I Can Only Imagine, O8, book Club, Blockers and Insidious that have done pretty well.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I see what you mean but there are films like Ready Player One, Peter Rabbit, Quiet Place, 50 Shades, Rampage, I Can Only Imagine, O8, book Club, Blockers and Insidious that have done pretty well.  

Pretty well vs blockbuster money though. I'm sure theater owners feel the difference.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Pretty well vs blockbuster money though. I'm sure theater owners feel the difference.

Yes, you are correct.  I guess I was looking at it from a WW perspective.  But domestically you are correct.  

But here's the thing, yes super hero movies rule the roost right now, but every year you are going to have those medium sized blockbusters that fill in the gaps.  Not every film is going to make 300 million and fewer still are going to be true monsters.  So films like Rampage and RPO are very good for theatres, in fact, I'd say they did pretty much what people had hoped they would.  So supe r hero movies are dominant, but the films that come in between, at least some of them, are doing what they are supposed to be doing.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Most years for the past decade if we are being honest. 

Those calling for superhero fatigue to set in are actually calling for a collapse of the industry. Not saying movies will stop, I'm saying it'll be like a big recession hits and trickles down through Hollywood. All the TV shows, cartoons, gaming etc will be affected if people actually en masse lose their taste for superhero fare. 

no they wouldn't... they would just watch other things. the box office overall would not change hugely.

20 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

A Quiet Place has done amazingly well nearly 200M for a horror film is excellent. Think you will see the superhero dominance be slightly mitigated from now onwards in the year... Jurassic Park coming this week, Mission impossible in July, some original tentpole films Meg & Skyscraper, and you have Mamma Mia as well which is something different that should do well. Then in the holiday period at the end of the year there are a ton of big movies that don't involve superheroes :) 

• Like 1